Supposedly great players you never notice/d on the field

y*so*blu

I'm going to leave out offensive and defensive linemen because, beyond the occasional earth-moving block or monster sack, much of what they do goes unnoticed (at least to my non-expert eye). I'm thinking more of good players at popular positions who get a lot of press but always manage to escape my notice.

My personal pick is Sean Lee of the Dallas Cowboys. Lord. Virtually every Cowboys game is prefaced by a shot of Sean Lee warming up and the commentators giving a five-minute soliloquy about how great and effective a player Sean Lee is. You'd think the guy was Lawrence Taylor or something the way they go on about him. And yet, despite the fact that he's been in the league for ten years, I can't remember a single play where this guy made enough of an impact to grab my attention. I have no beef with Lee or the Cowboys but there it is. Maybe I'm just ignorant, or I did see a few big plays and forgot about them, but I'm coming up empty.

How about you guys? Anyone else have a blue-chip player you never notice unless the broadcasters call your attention to 'em?

Edited by y*so*blu

52 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

And yet, despite the fact that he's been in the league for ten years, I can't remember a single play where this guy made enough of an impact to grab my attention

Only play I remember with Lee? That one time Golden Tate demoralized him with a ruthless crackback block on a Russell Wilson scramble:

So, I get where you're coming from.

ILB Berdnardrick McKinney comes to mind. He's got All Pro nods, is considered a really good ILB in the league. All I notice about him is how he makes tackles 3-5 yards past the LOS and flailing at air in coverage.

I'm pretty confident in saying his teammate Zach Cunningham is a much better player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uk9erfan said:

This one might ruffle a few feathers but I always thought this about Rod Woodson. 

This gives me the confidence to say I've felt this about Charles Woodson as well. Maybe it is just a safety thing. The only memory I have of Charles Woodson is Brandon Jacobs flattening him in the playoffs.

Anthony Barr for the Vikings. He's paid a ton and has a lot of accolades but due to the limitations of his role in Zimmer's defense, he doesn't stand out as an impact player. He does a ton of dirty work to free up other players, that's why he's been so valuable, just goes unnoticed.

• Like 2

Normally, it's a good thing for a CB when you do not hear your name during the game, since that means you're doing a good job in coverage .... Of course, there are exceptions, like Nnamdi Asomugha when he was with the raiders, he was not giving many reception in a season, but it was because the rest of the Raiders defense was garbage .... When Nnamdi signed with the Eagles, he was exposed.