Redskins S Su'a Cravens announces retirement after 1 year in league

Woz

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/09/03/safety-sua-cravens-stuns-teammates-and-leaves-redskins-scrambling-with-his-plan-to-retire/

The Washington Redskins were sent scrambling Sunday morning when projected starting strong safety Su’a Cravens informed team officials and teammates that he will retire just one year after the organization selected him in the second round of the NFL draft. ...

Cravens has missed the past three weeks after having arthroscopic surgery on his knee. He was supposed to return to action by Week 1. Cravens had worked on the side with trainers here and there over the past three weeks and was expected to return to practice this week.

But Saturday night, Cravens informed his fellow defensive backs in a group text message that he was retiring, a second person familiar with the situation said.

This came out of left field. As a fan, I had big hopes for him this season that he could maybe partially fill the hole at the safety that the Redskins have had since Sean Taylor was murdered. Apparently, the Redskins are going to give him a month or so to figure out the personal issue while he's on the roster exempt list. Apparently, the locker room is somewhat ticked off.

If there wasn't some sort of chaos in Ashburn, it wouldn't the Snyder-owned Redskins.

EDIT: Adding more to thread:

Possible reasons:

Surprising news. Looked good in his Rookie Season.

More players seem to be retiring at an early age. Whether they just don't feel football is the career for them, or they're worried what injuries will do to them in the long term, not sure. Just seems to be a more common occurrence nowadays.

All the best to him.

Just now, DontTazeMeBro said:

I don't mind players retiring early. But a week before the season is a crappy move. You really need to do that in February or March

Or at least not down the day after cutdown day since that could give someone your spot if you truly don't want it.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Not set in stone, though:

However, my take on this: as soon as you start thinking about retirement, you're halfway to retiring.

A lot of sports starst/athletes do say that "you just know" when the time is right to retire. 

Doesn't sound like he's at that point. If he's not fully sure about playing he should take the time he's got away from the field to see how much he really misses it. 

4 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

A lot of sports starst/athletes do say that "you just know" when the time is right to retire. 

Doesn't sound like he's at that point. If he's not fully sure about playing he should take the time he's got away from the field to see how much he really misses it. 

Well, he's got a month to think on it now:

I think you're a bit behind phrasing the title as such.  Cravens went to the team to tell them he was going to retire, and they've talked him out of it for now.  Obviously, you can say he's got a foot out the door, and I wouldn't disagree with that statement.  However, he was one of the youngest players in CFB when joining the Trojans, and when drafted, again, one of the younger players so there are some maturity issues- such as him going AWOL for almost two days last year with the Redskins, and something similar having happened while at USC.  

The Redskins aren't known for strong leadership, so it doesn't surprise me that we haven't been able to set this kid right.  

4 minutes ago, Castiron said:

On the one hand, it would have been nice if he had decided this before the draft.  On the other, screw the Redskins for running off Scotty Mac.

Dysfunction at it's finest......if my great uncle wasn't a player and coach for the team years ago, I would have turned in my fan card.  The Orioles didn't get my loyalty back until 2.5 years of proven success.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

I think you're a bit behind phrasing the title as such.  Cravens went to the team to tell them he was going to retire, and they've talked him out of it for now.  Obviously, you can say he's got a foot out the door, and I wouldn't disagree with that statement.

Except they placed him on the exempt list so he's closer to out than in.

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Dysfunction at it's finest......if my great uncle wasn't a player and coach for the team years ago, I would have turned in my fan card.  The Orioles didn't get my loyalty back until 2.5 years of proven success.  

Yeah, I guess I should have known they'd dump Scotty since he was bringing stability and a positive direction to the organization.  

6 minutes ago, Woz said:

Except they placed him on the exempt list so he's closer to out than in.

I mean, that's true, but it also frees up a roster spot where we can carry someone who may not have played until the bye week either, using a known problem.  It could be any number of things.  I believe he's at least good for this year, but we should be planning to be without him going forward for sure. 

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I mean, that's true, but it also frees up a roster spot where we can carry someone who may not have played until the bye week either, using a known problem.  It could be any number of things.  I believe he's at least good for this year, but we should be planning to be without him going forward for sure. 

I suspect the team would rather not have taken a guy they had penciled in as a starter in exchange for a bubble player.

Archived