Redskins S Su'a Cravens announces retirement after 1 year in league

Woz

5 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Huh? The timing is the issue. Your first sentence implies you feel for the guy getting cut at the last minute. Their whole life is turned upside down.

Well, the Redskins held a spot for Cravens. And due to the timing, some other guy got his whole life turned upside down. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with him being placed on the non-football exempt list, that spot opens right back up. 

2 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with him being placed on the non-football exempt list, that spot opens right back up. 

You're not wrong. But other moves were made prior to that by the team. So the player is no longer guaranteed a spot on a team he's spent all 2017 with.

Additionally, it can negatively affect the team if another team snatches a player up who was let go.

For me, the biggest issue is timing.

31 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

You're not wrong. But other moves were made prior to that by the team. So the player is no longer guaranteed a spot on a team he's spent all 2017 with.

Additionally, it can negatively affect the team if another team snatches a player up who was let go.

For me, the biggest issue is timing.

You also have to look at a player like TJ Ward and wonder if the Redskins would've made a strong play for him if they knew about Cravens in advance. The timing is crappy on multiple layers.

2 hours ago, Gmen said:

You would think a lack of passion would come up during the pre-draft interview process.  From the redskins perspective, that's a pretty high wasted draft pick.  

Hard to day, these guys get coached up pretty well as to what to say and what not to say.

I don't think it would be hard to "turn it on" for an interview.

Everyone who ever hired me would probably agree.

45 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Hard to day, these guys get coached up pretty well as to what to say and what not to say.

I don't think it would be hard to "turn it on" for an interview.

Everyone who ever hired me would probably agree.

But even then you could talk to coaches and former teammates to try to get a feel for the guy.  If I were a GM I would identify 30 prospects I'm interested in and hire a PI to get me everything I need to know about each guy. It's such a big investment that the cost would be worth it.  I feel like the difference between a lot of these prospects is more work ethic and attitude than physical differences.

Just now, Gmen said:

But even then you could talk to coaches and former teammates to try to get a feel for the guy.  If I were a GM I would identify 30 prospects I'm interested in and hire a PI to get me everything I need to know about each guy. It's such a big investment that the cost would be worth it.  I feel like the difference between a lot of these prospects is more work ethic and attitude than physical differences.

Things change though.

College and pro ball aren't the same thing, the lifestyle isn't the same. Perhaps he loved the team and family atmosphere of college but hates the businesslike nature of the NFL.

Maybe he hates DC...

Maybe the CTE studies have impacted his stance on the game.

Hard to say with guys who are that young.

1 minute ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I'm not even close, and I think about retirement once an hour.  

Okay, let me rephrase: as soon as you start thinking about retirement, provided have the money to, you're halfway to retirement.

Archived