Redskins S Su'a Cravens announces retirement after 1 year in league

Woz

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20577894/sua-cravens-washington-redskins-snapchat-pursuit-happiness

"I don't feel I need to explain myself. ... I think I need to follow what makes me happy, get my mental right, my well-being right and my family right," Cravens told his followers. "I'm not worried about the comments or what people think about me.

He sounds like he's out. In reading the rest of the article, I wonder if seeing someone professionally might be a good idea. Kind of odd to go from:

On Saturday, players who saw him in the locker room felt he was upbeat, except for seeing teammates who had just been cut clean out their lockers. In fact, earlier that day Cravens described on a now-deleted Instagram post about how he had written in 11th grade that his dream was to play professional football.

to wanting to retire.

That's an awfully big emotional switch to go from "this is my dream" to "I'm out."

Wanting to retire a year into your NFL career? Hey, whatever you feel is best. Football is a dangerous sport, if you think you can make ends meet without it then go ahead. The draft is a gamble, we all know that. Passion for the sport, which you should be able to gather from sit downs, needs to be weighed nowadays right up there with work ethic, injury history, etc. So I feel no pity for the Skins in that regard. 

Doing it right after cuts, less than a week from the season? Such a weak move, Skins fans have every right to be angry.

8 hours ago, Gmen said:

You would think a lack of passion would come up during the pre-draft interview process.  From the redskins perspective, that's a pretty high wasted draft pick.  

USC fans are saying that he's always been a drama king and threatened to transfer from SC, too. 

18 hours ago, Woz said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20577894/sua-cravens-washington-redskins-snapchat-pursuit-happiness

He sounds like he's out. In reading the rest of the article, I wonder if seeing someone professionally might be a good idea. Kind of odd to go from:

to wanting to retire.

That's an awfully big emotional switch to go from "this is my dream" to "I'm out."

Seems really bipolar to me.

Honestly, everything about Cravens seemed kind of drama king. The vision/concussion thing, the hurt arm that was more or wasn't, disappearing from the team for a while, stuff at USC, all but demanding to play safety, now this.

It sucks that the Redskins burned a draft pick on him, but I can't help but wonder if he was worth keeping.

Archived