Jets Sign Ryan Kalil

Bobby816

12 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

It may be all on Adam Gase.  Jets made Kalil feel needed.  I don't think he would come out of retirement to play for just 3-5m.

Maybe but he is also on the decline, has not been a Pro Bowl level player or All Pro since 2015.  So that is a ton of money for one year I would say but maybe he is worth it still.

Signing a 34yr player, albeit, at  a need position is counter to the youth movement theory.   Gase must not have been happy with Harrison's play and told Douglas "get me a f'ing center".      I see this as a 1yr thing to bring some stability to the OL.   I am trying to be optimistic about Gase and company. We'll see.  GO JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

I dont see this as a negative.  Harrison would be a starter by now if he had shown that hes a starting center. 

Kalil brings leadership and stability at center.  Jets failed to find a actual answer at center, he is a stop gap at a 1 yr deal. At least they are trying to compete.

Now i think Douglas will try to find cb help, though i think Roberts is solid. 

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Curious why he came out of retirement but crap $8.4 million!  Seems a little high for a guy who retired but maybe the Panthers just did not want to pay him and he still wanted to play.  Their center position much suck but I assume in a few years Ryan Anderson could be in the mix but obviously right now it will be Kalil getting that much money.

The OL Brandon Shell has some promise but I really like Chuma Edoga, he will be their starting tackle soon opposite Beachum possibly.  Ben Braden I liked at Michigan be curious if he can work his way in there.  Tom Compton is nothing special so you can have him.  Hopefully Bucky Hodges can finally catch on and produce, he has some much talent at TE but is a little soft, maybe should switch to WR, and Wesco is a tough TE and a fine blocker he will be a nice addition.

I think Edoga has been playing LT. 

12 hours ago, famousj said:

Signing a 34yr player, albeit, at  a need position is counter to the youth movement theory.   Gase must not have been happy with Harrison's play and told Douglas "get me a f'ing center".      I see this as a 1yr thing to bring some stability to the OL.   I am trying to be optimistic about Gase and company. We'll see.  GO JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You viewing it wrongly IMO. How about how much he can help Darnold? After all that should be the main priority for the franchise now. How about how he helps the whole OL? (after all the C is the leader of the OL in most cases) Which in turn makes Bell able to do what he does best. You're looking at this as a Madden game and how it is long term for just that induvial position. It is not the answer at C long term. That's correct. But it immediately is better for us than if we were starting a 3rd Round C with upside in Darnolds 2nd year and with an elite RB.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

You viewing it wrongly IMO. How about how much he can help Darnold? After all that should be the main priority for the franchise now. How about how he helps the whole OL? (after all the C is the leader of the OL in most cases) Which in turn makes Bell able to do what he does best. You're looking at this as a Madden game and how it is long term for just that induvial position. It is not the answer at C long term. That's correct. But it immediately is better for us than if we were starting a 3rd Round C with upside in Darnolds 2nd year and with an elite RB.

+1.  Was coming to post the same thing.  Who cares about the youth movement, we are trying to win and just added a big upgrade at C.  

We had 21M in cap space before the deal so we still have plenty of space left.  This was a no brainer move.  I expect an overhaul of the OL in the offseason, Douglas will prioritize that in a big way I bet.

PHI always had a solid OL and I expect the Jets under Douglas to have the same. 

• Like 1

This also continues to point to the idea that the Jets are becoming a destination where players/coaches/fo want to go. 

McCarthy said he would only interview for the Browns and Jets gig.

Then Joe D takes the Jets job. While we paid him a lot, we all know the Jets don’t hire him without Darnold.

Now Khalil comes out of retirement to play for the Jets. 

CJ Mosley took the Jets offer despite Baltimore coming back to the table. In the past, these types of players take a smaller deal and just use the Jets as leverage.

We did have the Barr incident which means we are not totally there.

Edited by SDotNova

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

This also continues to point to the idea that the Jets are becoming a destination where players/coaches/fo want to go. 

McCarthy said he would only interview for the Browns and Jets gig.

Then Joe D takes the Jets job. While we paid him a lot, we all know the Jets don’t hire him without Darnold.

Now Khalil comes out of retirement to play for the Jets. 

CJ Mosley took the Jets offer despite Baltimore coming back to the table. In the past, these types of players take a smaller deal and just use the Jets as leverage.

We did have the Barr incident which means we are not totally there.

All revolves around a franchise QB and better management finally. Our time is coming. 10-6 this year with a WC playoff win is my optimistic prediction.

• Like 1

Excellent move. The deal is heavily incentivized. Although at 34 he's not as strong and athletic as he once was, Gase has valued experience over talent at the pivot in many of his offenses. Harrison is a really athletic dude who remains a valuable piece to our line, but from an Xs and Os and experience standpoint, there are not many in this league better than Kalil, and he showed he can still pay as he logged 97% of his teams snaps last year while playing at an above average level. I love this deal, and while I don't want to jump the gun, it wouldn't surprise me the least bit if he comes back again next year. 

Definitely an important upgrade. I have to believe his experience and savvy will greatly help Sam. Now if Egoda can play himself into a starting role and Osemele returns to form,  our OL should be much better than the last couple of years. Of course with 3 of the starters over 30 we will need to start drafting their eventual replacements next year

1 hour ago, Rich51 said:

Definitely an important upgrade. I have to believe his experience and savvy will greatly help Sam. Now if Egoda can play himself into a starting role and Osemele returns to form,  our OL should be much better than the last couple of years. Of course with 3 of the starters over 30 we will need to start drafting their eventual replacements next year

I agree Rich, it is a important upgrade. What is the latest news on Shell?

13 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I am just trying to figure out what direction the Jets are going.  I rather get someone who will be with Darnold for a decade than a one year rental.  If Harrison was not cutting it and Ryan Kilal improves the position, fine.  I don't want Darnold running for his life.  I want sustainability for the OL and not a bunch of aging one year rentals.  That would be a same ol' Jets philosophy.  

Even if he doesn't perform at the pro bowl level, this is still a great move. It gives our younger center someone to learn from, It's an upgrade for Darnold and Bell, Darnold gets to learn how to communicate with a center like him, and this also could be a stop-gap for the next center we pick up. 

I'm still interested in picking up Trent if the price is right, but I also like the potential LT's in next year's draft class. The challenge in that is if we have a good season and not in range to draft a great LT. Do your thing, JD. 

17 hours ago, Rich51 said:

That’s going to be the key. It’s an old unit and the only old unit on our team. But this move buys us time. We need to spend high draft picks on the OL for the next few years.

• Like 2