Hall of Fame Game and other Preseason Matchups

Scoundrel

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

On the plus side Jackson & Muhammad as RB and Malik Reed at EDGE and Richardson at CB showed well.   

Muhammad is the fastest guy on the team, I would stash him if possible. I'm just puzzled Reed wasn't drafted, I liked him as an early Day 3 pick and he just never got any buzz.

Lol that’s a classic preseason TD.  

If you aren’t watching the game one might ask if there’s a backup QB controversy.   Looking at the actual game film it’s an easy nope.  

If this is what we see for the rest of August there won’t be any risk of stashing Rypien on the PS.  

Edited by Broncofan

It’s a preseason game with basically no starters, but I can’t help but be pessimistic right now.  This team looks no different than it has since the Super Bowl win.  Awful offensively with a bend but don’t break defense, with each unit capable of doing enough to win games that they were outplayed in.

I am hoping this changes when the starters get a shot.

• Like 1

On the plus side though.  Defensively Jones and Walker looked good tonight. Bausby had some nice coverage at CB as well.  Gave up some catches, but nothing crazy. 

McGovern getting beat a couple times by backup DLs is concerning, as was Denver’s pass blocking in general for much of the 1st quarter with 3 (potentially 4 with Wilkinson in the game) starting OLs in the game vs Atlanta’s rotational DL.  Hogan and Lock both took a beating and didn’t have many opportunities without being pressured.  

Loved how they used Hollins and he looks pretty comfortable as a coverage LB. 

I’ve read that in camp drops have been an issue, no different tonight.  Winfree and Fant both had big drops, as did David Williams on a potential 20+ yard gain.  

Fant as a receiver looked lost.  A drop on an easy catch, his only catch he damn near dropped.  However, he puts forth a lot of effort as a blocker, which (along with drops) was his biggest knock coming into the NFL.

16 minutes ago, germ-x said:

It’s a preseason game with basically no starters, but I can’t help but be pessimistic right now.  This team looks no different than it has since the Super Bowl win.  Awful offensively with a bend but don’t break defense, with each unit capable of doing enough to win games that they were outplayed in.

I am hoping this changes when the starters get a shot.

There's a lot to not feel anything about, like the bottom 30-35 guys on a roster who are going to stink no matter what and bad OL depth that's a problem on 32 teams. The only thing that really stood out negatively to me was how lousy the rookie QBs looked. Was nice to see other rookies like Dre'Mont and Hollins flash but Lock and Rypien basically showed nothing. 

Watched the starting few series, spot checks after that.

really liked what I saw from the Bolles/Risner left side. That could be special. You could argue that there was 1 pressure, Bolles gave up a lot on 1 bull rush , but the run blocking was solid and pass blocking didn't give up one free release. QB had 3 seconds plus from the left side. Wish I could've watched the other side but on TV the left side was what I got. 

16 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

There's a lot to not feel anything about, like the bottom 30-35 guys on a roster who are going to stink no matter what and bad OL depth that's a problem on 32 teams. The only thing that really stood out negatively to me was how lousy the rookie QBs looked. Was nice to see other rookies like Dre'Mont and Hollins flash but Lock and Rypien basically showed nothing. 

Which is actually ok given it’s their first game.  But it’s also going to rightfully slow to outright stop the crazy talk of making a rookie the backup for week 1.   It’s always possible we see amazing progress between now and week 1 but that’s more like a 5th-10th percentile outcome given what we saw tonight vs. ATL’s 2nd, 3rd and 4th string D.  

No way Elway considers a rookie as backup heading into week 1 at this stage  if he isn’t conceding 2019 as a lost year.   And we know that’s not the case.  

I did like Fangio’s honest take on Lock’s play.   I don’t expect he will view Rypien any differently especially given the fact it was against ATL’s 3rd/4th stringers.  

Edited by Broncofan

These comments come with the obvious caveats of we don't know how good the competition was, bla bla bla ...

Sloppy start Offensively. I would need to go back and watch again to get a proper feel of the backup OL but I thought our QBs had enough time to manufacture something Offensively. They weren't helped by our skill guys either, sans perhaps Khalfani Muhammad (just seen he ran a 10.22 100m in High School - woah). 

Hopefully games like this will help temper the casual fan's expectations of Drew Lock to contribute any time soon. His head is all over the place with his progressions and when you aren't comfortable with knowing where to go with the ball, EVERYTHING suffers (footwork especially). Just be patient, guys.

You guys have mentioned most of the names I wanted to mention on Defense. Horace Richardson looked like a guy who had played preseason before (3rd year) and knew what to expect (screens, simple route concepts). Nice to see DreMont Jones flash against the Falcons 3rd team. I also thought Mike Purcell really flashed in the same unit; Zach Kerr seemed to play a lot of snaps so I expect Purcell to eat into his time with the 2nd team at some point.

Malik Reed looked good rushing the passer, but he looked a little lost out there on early downs. It's never a good sign when a player is frantically looking around all the time for help in how they are aligned. He also looked a little light to me. Maybe that will help in kick coverage, however I have concerns with a player that size playing base Defense.

Please can we not make any references to our season based on that game last night? It's one preseason game, guys.

• Like 2