Hall of Fame Game and other Preseason Matchups

Scoundrel

22 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

I will say on offense;  top 3 WRs, top 2 RBs, starting QB, & starting RT didn’t play, so not a lot to see there IMO.

Obviously Fant didn’t do great but as a rookie TE not much is to be expected from him. 

Backup QB and OL depth are pitiful agreed but all in all not much to see. 

I think the offense will will be improved from last year but it will again be a team carried by the defense and I’m OK with that

I just worry about the depth on defense.  I think this  team will have to sustain more drives this year a marginal improvement in that area isn't gonna cut it.

When the word "carry," is used it fractures a locker room if the leadership isn't strong enough on offense. 

Edited by thebestever6

2 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

I will say on offense;  top 3 WRs, top 2 RBs, starting QB, & starting RT didn’t play, so not a lot to see there IMO.

Obviously Fant didn’t do great but as a rookie TE not much is to be expected from him. 

Backup QB and OL depth are pitiful agreed but all in all not much to see. 

I think the offense will will be improved from last year but it will again be a team carried by the defense and I’m OK with that

I mean I get it, but outside of Lindsay, none of these offensive guys are world beaters or still need to prove a lot to be considered even average NFL starters....which really is my point.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

I mean I get it, but outside of Lindsay, none of these offensive guys are world beaters or still need to prove a lot to be considered even average NFL starters....which really is my point.

And I agree, but healthy Sanders is good and I’m high on Sutton so i guess I’m optimistic.   To the tune of a projected 7-9 season haha

36 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

And I agree, but healthy Sanders is good and I’m high on Sutton so i guess I’m optimistic.   To the tune of a projected 7-9 season haha

It’s not that I don’t like some of the things Denver has going.  I love the Lindsay/Freeman combo.  Also like Sutton and think he can become a good NFL WR. I think Fant is going to turn into a stud as well, probably not this year, but year 2 or 3.  I was very impressed with his effort as a blocker, his only knocks coming out were his hands (he had a drop) and blocking.  He’ll never be Gronkowski as a blocker, but if he gives the effort he did last night he will be fine in that area.

Just a lot of ifs with these offensive guys.  If Flacco can be what he was when Kubiak was his OC Denver will be better, if Sanders doesn’t miss a beat from a torn achilles they’ll be better, if Sutton takes a big 2nd year leap....I mean you and everyone else gets it.  

Lots of drops but outside of that, nothing really negative. Hogan looks fine as a backup. Seems to understand the Offrense and was crisp and decisive with his throws.

Love Fangios "D" scheme. Can hardly wait to see it with our starters. That could be nasty.

The Bolles/Risner left side should be fun to watch. No penalties, no pressures and Bolles rag dolled two pass rushers. Risners a stud on pass protection but a bit slow pulling. He'll get that.

Overall I was pretty pleased. Really love the "D" scheme. 

On 03/08/2019 at 8:11 AM, AKRNA said:

Lots of drops but outside of that, nothing really negative. Hogan looks fine as a backup. Seems to understand the Offrense and was crisp and decisive with his throws.

Love Fangios "D" scheme. Can hardly wait to see it with our starters. That could be nasty.

The Bolles/Risner left side should be fun to watch. No penalties, no pressures and Bolles rag dolled two pass rushers. Risners a stud on pass protection but a bit slow pulling. He'll get that.

Overall I was pretty pleased. Really love the "D" scheme. 

Hogan play for his future !! He will not be a Bronco after the cut ! Lock will be a back up and Rypien will be a 3rd. Denver not waive him with a risk to loose for nothing !

Yeah, I agree with AKRAN and French here, I think the Fangio defense is going to be sick.  If the Broncos make the playoffs it will be because they can keep a Mahomes led offense to like 10-15 points.  And, it could even be better than that.  I will go out on a limb after the first preseason game and suggest this defense will be better than the 2015 defense.  Why not?  It's early in the season and you can already tell the vast improvement in the tackling...that was made certain.  

17 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

Yeah, I agree with AKRAN and French here, I think the Fangio defense is going to be sick.  If the Broncos make the playoffs it will be because they can keep a Mahomes led offense to like 10-15 points.  And, it could even be better than that.  I will go out on a limb after the first preseason game and suggest this defense will be better than the 2015 defense.  Why not?  It's early in the season and you can already tell the vast improvement in the tackling...that was made certain.  

SPICY 

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

2015 defense is one of the GOATS. They had so many clutch takeaways.....that is not supposed to happen regularly and they did it like 6 times that season 

I remember that Jamal Charels fumble early in the year and the drive before I was like saying to the tv Jamaal Charles is due for a fumble and it happened.  I feel like we under sell how mentally tough that 2015 unit was.

Sure Manning finally managed an offense due to decline and injury compared to putting up those statwars numbers.  Sure CJ Anderson got those tough yards . But the defense besides stupid plays here or there early in the first or 3rd quarter was lights out.

• Like 2

And Wade Philips counter punch was like no other which was kinda brilliant. He'd weather the storm of the scripted plays usually with poor results than just tightened up. Which did keep the unit fresh for 4 quarters all year long. Also was brilliant considering how limited the offense was 

Edited by thebestever6

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

2015 defense is one of the GOATS. They had so many clutch takeaways.....that is not supposed to happen regularly and they did it like 6 times that season 

14 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

And Wade Philips counter punch was like no other which was kinda brilliant. He'd weather the storm of the scripted plays usually with poor results than just tightened up. Which did keep the unit fresh for 4 quarters all year long. Also was brilliant considering how limited the offense was 

Not just the takeaways, either - sometimes it was key sacks to take away field position for a FG.  That happened at least 2-3x IIRC, along with the TO's.   

That D deservedly gets ranked with the '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, '02 Bucs & '13 Seahawks as an all-time great championship D by DVOA.  DEN and those 5 D's carried the team (although Russell Wilson was probably the most effective QB, still a rookie).   The only reason it doesn't get more acknowledgement is the recency effect - it's rare to see legendary-generational level D 2 years apart like SEA & D, I absolutely believe it's why TAM '02 doesn't get the same love as BAL '00 did.  

I think the D is going to rebound in a big way, but there's a long way to go to get to 2015 level.   And that's not a knock on the current D.  But a generational level D is just that. 

• Like 1

2015 has to exist in its own bubble. It's not just the talent and coaching, it's having the right combo of talent at the right time, the perfect chemistry. Everyone but Ware was in their prime and his playoff run was as good as he ever was. What still amazes me about that defense was how it was always on them to make the big play late in the game. However great they played, they would inevitably need to make one more play to seal the win and they almost always did it. Just an unbelievable run. 

• Like 4