Hall of Fame Game and other Preseason Matchups

Scoundrel

Just now, Broncofan said:

As a contrast look at Benkert after a season of development.   He had a ton of issues but he looks miles better now.   It’s not our top D but that’s a good contrast to show what you hope to see a year later progression wise.  

He was my number three QB in last years draft after Baker and Darnold... shhhh I’m still a little embarrassed about being out on such a limb with him. 

6 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

Devontae Thomas or whatever his name is is running pretty hard. I'd rather keep him than Reddick or Booker.

It’s Jackson.  But he has to be able to pass block to stick.  

Honestly though it’s why I would pass on Riddick esp if it costs $$.   I’d much rather keep Booker at min wage and take a flier on Jackson as our 4th RB esp since he can return kicks.  Rather keep thinking 2020+ with cheap young guys.  Oh well. 

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, Counselor said:

He was my number three QB in last years draft after Baker and Darnold... shhhh I’m still a little embarrassed about being out on such a limb with him. 

Unlike most rookies I think 2nd year guys should be ready to back up.  I’d take him over Matt Schaub as a backup every day of the week. 

Just now, Broncofan said:

It’s Jackson.  But he has to be able to pass block to stick.  

Honestly though it’s why I would pass on Riddick.   I’d much rather keep Booker at min wage and take a flier on Jackson as our 4th RB esp since he can return kicks.  Rather keep thinking 2020+ with cheap young guys.  Oh well. 

Agreed. Riddick is a glorified slot receiver at best. Cut him and have guys that can somewhat block like Booker and run hard and continue to grow like Jackson

When guys succeed in the preseason you have to temper enthusiasm because the competition and play calling is nowhere near reg season level.   But on the flip side watching guys struggle really signals that they likely aren’t ready.  That’s ok if it’s early in their ETA but worth noting.   If it’s when they should be ready flags start going up. 

The reason why I bring that up is that David Williams just doesn’t look ready to help.   For the RB position the incubation time shouldn’t be more than a year.  I really hope DEN looks to see what they have in Jackson and Muhammad than Williams.  

The same holds true for ILB & Bierra.  Agree with @BroncoBruin he really looked lost tonight.  You hope to see year 2 progression but doesn’t look like there’s much there either.   Hopefully it’s nerves otherwise the growth curve looks pretty flat. 

For as good as Elway’s 2018 draft potentially could end up esp given Lindsay as UDFA the Bierra / Williams picks don’t look to yield much return.  Nothing wrong given it’s Day 3 the hit rate is low to begin with, but no hidden gem picks likely there.  

Edited by Broncofan