Hall of Fame Game and other Preseason Matchups

Scoundrel

8 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

There's a lot to not feel anything about, like the bottom 30-35 guys on a roster who are going to stink no matter what and bad OL depth that's a problem on 32 teams. The only thing that really stood out negatively to me was how lousy the rookie QBs looked. Was nice to see other rookies like Dre'Mont and Hollins flash but Lock and Rypien basically showed nothing. 

I would consider the OL in the 1st quarter with 3 starters and the top depth player out on the field not being able to set a tone vs these “30-35 guys on a roster who are going to stink” concerning.

I would also consider the drops concerning as it has been constantly talked about throughout camp.  1 of which came from our 1st round pick in Fant, whose hands were a concern coming out of Iowa (even the ball he caught was a fight for him). The other from Winfree whose been a bright spot in camp and probably makes the 53 considering what little talent the team has at WR. 

Like I said, hopefully how this game looked changes with all the starters because it looked like typical Broncos football post 2015.

Dre'Mont Jones looked great out there!  He could be a monster for them with that quickness off the ball and Chubb and Miller on the outside.  Could totally be a beast at 3/4 DE, kid is a good player no question and was at Ohio State, high upside.   He could have easily been a 2nd round pick or late 1st and to get him in the 3rd is an absolute steal with his quickness off the ball and ability to knife into the backfield.  Gotsis and Wolfe are decent DEs in a 3/4 but I could see Jones starting or getting a lot of play time quickly especially in passing downs.  

• Like 1

I'm not at all concerned about anything I saw or didn't see last night. It's the very first pre-season game, with virtually no starters (or rookie starters), with a brand new coaching staff. This is what preseason is for. I don't know how anyone can draw inferences about what the first string defense or offense will do when the seaosn rolls around based on what a bunch of fringe NFL players did.

Also, I thought Denver's 1H defense was incredibly solid, and that was with guys more likely to make the team. They let up one TD drive, but especially in the 1Q, they were slapping the Falcons backups around pretty handily.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I'm not at all concerned about anything I saw or didn't see last night. It's the very first pre-season game, with virtually no starters (or rookie starters), with a brand new coaching staff. This is what preseason is for. I don't know how anyone can draw inferences about what the first string defense or offense will do when the seaosn rolls around based on what a bunch of fringe NFL players did.

Also, I thought Denver's 1H defense was incredibly solid, and that was with guys more likely to make the team. They let up one TD drive, but especially in the 1Q, they were slapping the Falcons backups around pretty handily.

to go along with your 1st half defense comment, and I know that everyone wants to be pessimistic about a bonus preseason game around here, but I thought our team tackling seem SIGNIFICANTLY improved over what I've seen the past couple of years.  I noticed a lot of solid form tackling.  Hopefully that's Fangio's influence shining.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, germ-x said:

It’s a preseason game with basically no starters, but I can’t help but be pessimistic right now.  This team looks no different than it has since the Super Bowl win.  Awful offensively with a bend but don’t break defense, with each unit capable of doing enough to win games that they were outplayed in.

I am hoping this changes when the starters get a shot.

Yeah that's basically where I come down. There really hasn't been much to get excited about with this team since the Super Bowl. I've about grown tired of trying to get excited when I see very little to get excited about. Lock was disappointing yesterday but his performance cannot come as a surprise to anyone who knows he is going to be a work in progress. 

I was actually enjoying the first quarter defense. Once Our D sent a blitz late in the first I got bad vibes about how Lock was going to perform because of the pressure . 

The offense didn't look in sync at all. Elway also sounded like a zombie in the booth at the start of the 4th until Micheals joked about him going to stanford and not knowing the cities munchak and fangio were from in Pennsylvania. 

Edited by thebestever6

4 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I’ve read similar comments to this more than a few times now.  Yes it is the preseason, yes Denver was without almost all their starters.  However, half (probably slightly more) of Denver’s 53 man game day roster played last night.  So the thought that nothing can be drawn from this game moving into the future really doesn’t hold water, IMO.  

Players can and will improve from now to the start of the season, but just based off of last night Denver’s offensive depth looks suspect, especially at WR.  On the flip side Denver’s DL and DBs look talented and deep.  

6 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Well our ILB & DL depth chart may be taking a hit.  Neither is a projected starter but the cheap depth matters.  At least no major pieces got hurt - a reminder on why teams rightfully limit reps in the preseason.   

Losing Joe Jones would be a blow. Already lacking athleticism at LB. 

46 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Losing Joe Jones would be a blow. Already lacking athleticism at LB. 

Yeah he was a pretty big ST asset.  Jewell profiles to be a potentially “decent” ILB in pass coverage (his smarts and read instincts should really help vs the run) he won’t be a star there.   Johnson is more of a 2-down thumper.  

Jones & Hollins are the only 2 guys with the speed requirements just Hollins has a lot of Q’s moving inside.  

Edited by Broncofan

7 hours ago, germ-x said:

I would consider the OL in the 1st quarter with 3 starters and the top depth player out on the field not being able to set a tone vs these “30-35 guys on a roster who are going to stink” concerning.

I would also consider the drops concerning as it has been constantly talked about throughout camp.  1 of which came from our 1st round pick in Fant, whose hands were a concern coming out of Iowa (even the ball he caught was a fight for him). The other from Winfree whose been a bright spot in camp and probably makes the 53 considering what little talent the team has at WR. 

Like I said, hopefully how this game looked changes with all the starters because it looked like typical Broncos football post 2015.

Their bottom 30-35 guys (3rd-4th string) never played against our starters, and the first quarter offense would have been able to move the ball efficiently if not for the drops. Risner looked good. They ran the ball well. Massive overreaction. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah he was a pretty big ST asset.  Jewell profiles to be a potentially “decent” ILB in pass coverage (his smarts and read instincts should really help vs the run) he won’t be a star there.   Johnson is more of a 2-down thumper.  

Jones & Hollins are the only 2 guys with the speed requirements just Hollins has a lot of Q’s moving inside.  

I'm betting Vic will figure it out with Su'a as long as he sticks with the team. It's the biggest mismatch teams will exploit, they will need a plus-athlete in the middle of the field. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

Their bottom 30-35 guys (3rd-4th string) never played against our starters, and the first quarter offense would have been able to move the ball efficiently if not for the drops. Risner looked good. They ran the ball well. Massive overreaction. 

Ah, I think you’re underselling this a bit.  It was not a good look offensively (aside from 1 drive).  That is/should be concerning as it isn’t like this team is trotting out an offensive unit like the Saints in terms of starters. 

And as I mentioned before, more than half our 53 man roster played last night.  So the whole thought process that a bunch of scrubs played last night isn’t true.  The majority of Denver’s 53 were on the field at some point last night.  Clearly some getting more playing time than others, but there were a lot of players who will be expected to contribute week 1 that were getting reps and others that will be expected to contribute at some point during the season should injuries occur.

Defensively, I love where Denver is at.  Offensively, this team is pitiful. 

10 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Ah, I think you’re underselling this a bit.  It was not a good look offensively (aside from 1 drive).  That is/should be concerning as it isn’t like this team is trotting out an offensive unit like the Saints in terms of starters. 

And as I mentioned before, more than half our 53 man roster played last night.  So the whole thought process that a bunch of scrubs played last night isn’t true.  The majority of Denver’s 53 were on the field at some point last night.  Clearly some getting more playing time than others, but there were a lot of players who will be expected to contribute week 1 that were getting reps and others that will be expected to contribute at some point during the season should injuries occur.

Defensively, I love where Denver is at.  Offensively, this team is pitiful. 

I will say on offense;  top 3 WRs, top 2 RBs, starting QB, & starting RT didn’t play, so not a lot to see there IMO.

Obviously Fant didn’t do great but as a rookie TE not much is to be expected from him. 

Backup QB and OL depth are pitiful agreed but all in all not much to see. 

I think the offense will will be improved from last year but it will again be a team carried by the defense and I’m OK with that