53 Man Roster plus more (There's always next year)

lumberjackchris

1 minute ago, texans_uk said:

Veteran? Dude's 27 lol. 

Anyone know anything about him? Apart from the fact that's he was undrafted, on 3 practice squads and the Browns just cut him?

Absolutely nothing. Never heard of the guy prior to this.

Just now, texans_uk said:

Veteran? Dude's 27 lol. 

Anyone know anything about him? Apart from the fact that's he was undrafted, on 3 practice squads and the Browns just cut him?

Compared to who we have after Jackson, Joseph and Johnson he is.

He intitially made the Browns 53 man roster but they cut him due to injury I believe. That's all I really know about him.

Why are people not more up in arms about Rick Smith basically ignoring our obvious dearth of talent on the o-line and the secondary AGAIN with the added twist of now having the worst WR depth chart in the NFL and a holdout from our starting LT?  While the rest of the league was wheeling and dealing all week with a record setting # of trades, Rick was M.I.A. doing what Rick does which is contract paperwork.  Why on Earth isn't he just doing the "business" part full-time and someone ELSE taking care of the real GM work which is identifying and acquiring talent?  Seriously,  we claim WR Andy Jones off waivers and now some journeyman street scrub CB Marcus Burley that barely touched the field for the 1-15 Browns?  Treston Decoud is currently our dime CB and he barely was in camp and has no idea how to play his position and even "if" he learns is too slow to play it in the NFL.

Hey, I'm not going to gripe about getting Nuk finally locked up and Fido earned a second contract.  However, locking up Hal & Prosch early makes ZERO sense to me especially with the Duane Brown thing dwarfing it in importance. After an offseason of mostly sitting out free agency (Breno Giacomini in May, Marcus Gilchrist in August, and Bruce Ellington and Jordan Todman into preseason), standing pat with such obvious deficiencies in the secondary and o-line is ridiculous.  While everyone else recognized the opportunity the new 90-53 cut down day provided to get in the front of the line for priority, Rick sat it out as well.  Joe Haden CB,  Bene Benwickere CB, Terence Brooks S, Dexter McDougle S, Phillip Dorsett WR,  Sammie Coates WR, Jermaine Kearse WR, Isiah Battle T, Ty Sambrailo T, Laken Tomlison T, and Cameron Erving T are just some of the players in positions of need that changed hands last week mostly for 7th round/conditional 6th picks while lil Ricky locked up a stupid FB (a position less than 50% of teams even carry anymore) to a 3 year deal. The Texans have as much talent at the top end of the roster as any team in the NFL, but year after year we falter to mediocrity because we have the same weak links and horrific depth.  "Next man up" doesn't mean squat when the next guy is Don Jones, Chris Clark, or Keith Mumphrey.  Happens EVERY year.      

14 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Thoughts on Josh Walker? Most in the media from Houston think he's a decent OG option.

Our OL looks to be pretty weak and our depth in particular is pretty poor. If he was any good he would have made the team.

22 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Thoughts on Josh Walker? Most in the media from Houston think he's a decent OG option.

As everyone said, nothing worth writing home about. I'm suspecting he was signed for information - try to get him to talk about the Texans offense, line calls, etc. 

Wouldn't be too surprised if he's cut after this Sunday.

On 9/8/2017 at 5:29 PM, .Buzz said:

So...yeah. This is the guy who wasn't as good as the OL that gave up 10 sacks yesterday. 

He either gave some great intel which gave you an edge (which I seriously don't think you need with this OL) or he's not as good as anyone on this unit (which is impossible to believe, our unit is trash).

On 9/7/2017 at 6:24 PM, Apollo Stallion said:

Why are people not more up in arms about Rick Smith basically ignoring our obvious dearth of talent on the o-line and the secondary AGAIN with the added twist of now having the worst WR depth chart in the NFL and a holdout from our starting LT?  While the rest of the league was wheeling and dealing all week with a record setting # of trades, Rick was M.I.A. doing what Rick does which is contract paperwork.  Why on Earth isn't he just doing the "business" part full-time and someone ELSE taking care of the real GM work which is identifying and acquiring talent?  Seriously,  we claim WR Andy Jones off waivers and now some journeyman street scrub CB Marcus Burley that barely touched the field for the 1-15 Browns?  Treston Decoud is currently our dime CB and he barely was in camp and has no idea how to play his position and even "if" he learns is too slow to play it in the NFL.

Hey, I'm not going to gripe about getting Nuk finally locked up and Fido earned a second contract.  However, locking up Hal & Prosch early makes ZERO sense to me especially with the Duane Brown thing dwarfing it in importance. After an offseason of mostly sitting out free agency (Breno Giacomini in May, Marcus Gilchrist in August, and Bruce Ellington and Jordan Todman into preseason), standing pat with such obvious deficiencies in the secondary and o-line is ridiculous.  While everyone else recognized the opportunity the new 90-53 cut down day provided to get in the front of the line for priority, Rick sat it out as well.  Joe Haden CB,  Bene Benwickere CB, Terence Brooks S, Dexter McDougle S, Phillip Dorsett WR,  Sammie Coates WR, Jermaine Kearse WR, Isiah Battle T, Ty Sambrailo T, Laken Tomlison T, and Cameron Erving T are just some of the players in positions of need that changed hands last week mostly for 7th round/conditional 6th picks while lil Ricky locked up a stupid FB (a position less than 50% of teams even carry anymore) to a 3 year deal. The Texans have as much talent at the top end of the roster as any team in the NFL, but year after year we falter to mediocrity because we have the same weak links and horrific depth.  "Next man up" doesn't mean squat when the next guy is Don Jones, Chris Clark, or Keith Mumphrey.  Happens EVERY year.      

Hate to quote myself, but shocked that so many people didn't see yesterday's o-line implosion coming. Should add G Alex Boone to the list of solid o-lineman that changed hands last week as well while lil Ricky was shining his ride. 

I promise you, the next implosion will be someone torching our secondary for 400 yards.  Kevin Johnson was so bad in man coverage he got benched after 3 series against Blake f'ng Bortles.  The offense was so awful, the Jags were able to just coast to the win running the ball down our throats (DT and ILB being another unaddressed known issue), but I'm telling you if the pass rush doesn't dominate this secondary is going to look as porous as the o-line did.  Our scheme is absolutely dependent on man to man coverage skills and the only member of this secondary that has any is 33 and lost a step last year.  Even giving Hal a little credit for having some talent, he can't BOTH support corners who are going to get torched deep AND cover TE's & RBs outside and underneath.  Kareem & KJ HAVE to have help and we simply don't have another CB or safety with any coverage skills whatsoever on this roster.  Not sure why Rick has never gotten the math that 5 players going into routes means you can't have only 4 that can cover, but that one open guy will be found by ANY QB above Tom Savage level.  Oh yes, and this presumes we stay healthy which has never happened to any secondary ever - if Decoud is on this field at any point this season we are beyond through. 

Am I wrong or did it seem like Su'a-Filo had taken a step forward last season? 

I don't really think replacing him this off season was ever talked about. People were a little concerned that he might never be a top tier guy, but  didnt he start almost all of last season without a melt down like he had week 1? he has started 25 games in his career, and last week was by far his worst, or perhaps the worst by a texans guard ever. 

Maybe it was a one off, and he will come back and be a lot better going forward. It could be that hes not playing next to Duane Brown and that he has a new center making line calls or something. Maybe Campbell is having a breakout year, hes always been a good pass rusher. 

I am just perplexed by this. Looks like hes going to get the start this week since Allen is out and Mancz is sliding over to RG. Also looks like Clark will start at LT. 

My hope is that this is just another time that BOB didnt have his guys ready to play and they got bull rushed by what could end up being a very good Jacksonville Defense. 

51 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Am I wrong or did it seem like Su'a-Filo had taken a step forward last season? 

I don't remember this (but I could be wrong and just wasn't paying attention). Only thing I really remember from Susan was how I thought it was ludicrous that a RG taken #33 overall was rotating in with street FA Oday Aboushi on every drive. Rotating RBs, WRs? Sure. But how often did you see a rotation along the OL like that (and it wasn't like this was a Duane Brown/Ephraim Saalam rotation with a very raw rookie). What made me more frustrated was that Aboushi was the superior player in this rotation. 

I don't really think replacing him this off season was ever talked about. People were a little concerned that he might never be a top tier guy, but  didnt he start almost all of last season without a melt down like he had week 1? he has started 25 games in his career, and last week was by far his worst, or perhaps the worst by a texans guard ever. 

I was actually on the Forrest Lamp train (as far as all non-QB options were concerned) with the expectation that Sua Filo is the odd man out, or put into a rotation with Jeff Allen. If we weren't going to get a QB at 25, then LG Lamp or RT Garrett Bolles was my choice.

Maybe it was a one off, and he will come back and be a lot better going forward. It could be that hes not playing next to Duane Brown and that he has a new center making line calls or something. Maybe Campbell is having a breakout year, hes always been a good pass rusher. 

I'm willing to take the Brown theory with a grain of salt, but I simply think that Sua Fill wasn't good enough for pro football. The knocks on him in college we're his lack of strength at the POA. In an era where OL walk around at 310 with single digit body fat, Sua Filo was just a fat guy. Had size, moved well for said size, but no muscle mass or definition. That will get you up to the college level, but at the pro level, that gets you murdered (unless you hit the workout floor hard with some deadlifts, squats and working a sled). Given that it's year three with no discernable improvement, I'm not holding my breath. I could be wrong on this, and honestly hope I am.

56 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

My hope is that this is just another time that BOB didnt have his guys ready to play and they got bull rushed by what could end up being a very good Jacksonville Defense. 

I aired out my thoughts on this. One of the two teams went to a vacation resort for training camp and had a lot of half shelled joint practices. The other stayed in hot, humid Duval County, FL and put pads on - for the maximum amount of time allowed by the NFLPA - and hit one another to oblivion.

It showed on Sunday.

28 minutes ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I saw that as well... any particular reason we didn't set up a meet with him on Monday (or heck even Sunday evening)??

I know we have to coordinate with his agent as well as check to see the status of our TE's.

But common sense says you have 3 injured TE's (ALL OF THEM)... you may need 1 or 2 until they heal.

Plus we always knew we had a short week so it would seem we should have been more proactive in our preparation (sign Bayliss from PS as well as call up RaShuan Allen),

5 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

I saw that as well... any particular reason we didn't set up a meet with him on Monday (or heck even Sunday evening)??

I know we have to coordinate with his agent as well as check to see the status of our TE's.

But common sense says you have 3 injured TE's (ALL OF THEM)... you may need 1 or 2 until they heal.

Plus we always knew we had a short week so it would seem we should have been more proactive in our preparation (sign Bayliss from PS as well as call up RaShuan Allen),

Only thing I can think of is they truthfully expected CJ or Grif to be ready today.

Or, they forgot they had a game today. Totally possible.

Archived