53 Man Roster plus more (There's always next year)

lumberjackchris

On 9/23/2017 at 2:13 AM, Apollo Stallion said:

2013 when again people on this site and elsewhere were proclaiming that Cleveland got the better back when we let Ben Tate walk and that he'd emerge as the younger healthier franchise back carrying the Browns back to relevance. 

I've been on the site for a pretty long time, and do not remember this argument for the life of me. I think the only argument we had was not getting compensation for Tate, as we felt he could have been traded earlier in his career for a 2nd round pick.

9 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I've been on the site for a pretty long time, and do not remember this argument for the life of me. I think the only argument we had was not getting compensation for Tate, as we felt he could have been traded earlier in his career for a 2nd round pick.

Ok - I'll concede this one as the smart folks around here knew Tate was a goner once Foster got his deal, so the arguments were more about cap management & draft capital than talent.  However, plenty of fantasy idiots thought Tate was going to blow up as lead back in Cleveland while the shine was off Foster because he dared to get hurt after being the consensus #1 pick in fantasy in 2013.    Reminds me of our Gerhart vs. Tate debate ultimately proving we can BOTH be wrong.

Side note -  I swear 1/2 of the RG3 "hate" was fantasy football generated as he won people (like me) championships in 2012 as a late round pick then burned everyone in 2013 as a high pick that should have sat out the first month (in reality and fantasy).  The rest will make a very interesting case study some day as his presence in nearly every commercial break whilst suffering thru a clearly injury diminished season coupled with his own tone deaf social media usage seemed to set the stage for backlash.  Throw in all the "friends" the Shanahan's and Gruden's have in the media and the guy became a pariah who is never even mentioned when people question how a once great quarterback like Kaepernick doesn't have a job in 2017.  (fwiw RG3 has a comparable arm, is far more accurate, and unlike Kaep an impeccable work ethic, but honestly I think it's more about teams not wanting backup QBs who draw media attention and the zone-read option getting tossed out of playbooks the way of the wildcat.)   

So, someone wanna explain to me why we're going into week 4 of the season and we still don't have blocking TE on this roster?  Didn't we go thru a game where all 3 TE's got hurt in a game?  Didn't we go thru a game where our 4th round Tackle played 30 snaps as a TE?  Didn't we just lose a game because of our inability to convert on 3rd and 1?  Treston Decoud has not played a single snap on defense and only 14 special teams snaps thru 3 games and is so far away from being ready to play NFL football we ran a guy out there this week against Tom Brady who was with our team for 2-3 PRACTICES (Johnthan Banks - a journeyman who barely saw the field the past two seasons scraping the bottom of 3 rosters).  Jordan Todman has returned 1 kick (costing us 2 yards vs. taking a knee). 

Stephen Anderson is 6' 2" 225 lbs playing a position designed for players that are 6' 5" 265 which might be alright if he were a productive receiver, but this is a guy who has caught more than one pass in a game only 4 times in his career and broken 20 yards in a game once.  The way this o-line is constructed, we ought to be running 2TEs as our base package with a competent block-first TE staying at home.  For God's sake even teams with great Dual TE tandems like Gates/Henry, Brate/Howard, Reed/Davis carry not just one but TWO more TEs.  The Packers essentially have 3 #1's with Bennett/Rodgers/Kendricks and that's in addition to having #4 and #5 WRs who would START for many teams in Allison and Janis and a WR playing RB. The lowly Browns have their 1st round pick Njoku 3rd on the depth chart, 2nd rounder Shaheen is #3 for the Bears.  We have a 6th rounder starting, UDFA #2, and no #3 for a coach who built his reputation on a TE heavy offense.  Talent & Depth folks - GM's job.  See also WR, T, G, CB, S. 

I'd say we should just call up MyCole Pruitt from our own PS, but he's basically an Anderson clone as an undersized (6' 2", 240) pass catcher.  Bucky Hodges was a 5th rounder most expected to go in the 3rd that could be poached from the Panthers practice squad. The aforementioned Ladarius Green, Barnidge, Donnell, Escobar, Myers, Tamme, Amaro, Housler, Tim Wright at least provide legit NFL experienced TE for the next 6 weeks until Fido can come back.  We have 5 freaking running backs and 11 defensive backs on our active roster.   We've already seen the scenario 3 weeks in a row where not having enough TEs has hurt us and plenty of situations every game require the 3rd TE to be on the field even without injury, but in what friggin scenario would you ever be in a situation where your 5th RB or 10th dback would ever be pressed into action?  Going to keep saying it until it's fixed - this roster makes no sense!

5 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Going to keep saying it until it's fixed - this roster makes no sense!

Remember the days when Kubiak kept about 12 TEs on the roster? Owen Daniels, Joel Dreessen, James Casey, a bunch of other former CSU and South Carolina guys, Eric Winston, Earl Mitchell, Connor Barwin and that long snapper who was busted for PEDs?

Whoda thunk we'd be on the opposite end of the spectrum now?

On 9/29/2017 at 12:17 AM, EliteTexan80 said:

Remember the days when Kubiak kept about 12 TEs on the roster? Owen Daniels, Joel Dreessen, James Casey, a bunch of other former CSU and South Carolina guys, Eric Winston, Earl Mitchell, Connor Barwin and that long snapper who was busted for PEDs?

Whoda thunk we'd be on the opposite end of the spectrum now?

Let's not forget that Duane Brown was a 250lb TE at Va Tech until he magically "grew" into a Tackle his junior year and everyone's favorite 2 star TE recruit JJ Watt and his 3 receiving TDs as a rookie. You also left out the early greatness of retreads Jeb Putzier and Mark Bruener and late greatness of Garrett Graham aka O.D. lite.  Kubiak also extended the stay of the original tenant at the Texans IR resort Bennie Joppru a 3rd season and drafted Anthony Hill to a 2 year stay there. Philip Supernaw was a Kubiak pet project  (Katy-Taylor) that has actually carved out a decent career with 7 years in the league as a special teamer/blocking TE.  We'll see him this weekend for Tenn. 

Bryan Pittman was the long snapper before future hall of fame long snapper Jon Weeks.  Pittman still holds the record for combine long snap speed at .55 seconds - yep juicing to increase 15 yard snap speed is apparently a thing. 

1 hour ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Let's not forget that Duane Brown was a 250lb TE at Va Tech until he magically "grew" into a Tackle his junior year and everyone's favorite 2 star TE recruit JJ Watt and his 3 receiving TDs as a rookie. You also left out the early greatness of retreads Jeb Putzier and Mark Bruener and late greatness of Garrett Graham aka O.D. lite.  Kubiak also extended the stay of the original tenant at the Texans IR resort Bennie Joppru a 3rd season and drafted Anthony Hill to a 2 year stay there. Philip Supernaw was a Kubiak pet project  (Katy-Taylor) that has actually carved out a decent career with 7 years in the league as a special teamer/blocking TE.  We'll see him this weekend for Tenn. 

Bryan Pittman was the long snapper before future hall of fame long snapper Jon Weeks.  Pittman still holds the record for combine long snap speed at .55 seconds - yep juicing to increase 15 yard snap speed is apparently a thing. 

Garrett Graham and Anthony Hill, those were the names I forgot. Also forgot that Holdie McHoldout was a TE at Virginia Tech.

Bennie Joppru's name always stings a little extra because of Jason Witten. Damn, had we just got THAT one right, this would have been a non issue...

Texans RB Tyler Ervin tore his patellar tendon Week 4 and is done for the season.

He is undergoing surgery on Monday. It is a devastating injury, but we have seen players return to full health following a patellar tendon rupture in recent years. Still, Ervin will be up against it to be ready for training camp next year.

per rotoworld

26 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

per rotoworld

Just heard this too. Braxton Miller was a healthy scratch yesterday (which is indication that he's on his way out) might get a shot at filling the gap that Ervin leaves in the return game, in the slot and (possibly) at RB in shotgun settings.

Miller was a name we all kind of liked (or loved in my case) during the draft, but he's not getting the job done. Might as well throw him a lifeline and see if he can stick.

EDIT: Chris Thompson earned ST snaps yesterday with his big return, so maybe he gets the nod.

The Patriots picked up Allen from the Colts this offseason and haven't gotten anything from him, but their needs could change depending on Rob Gronkowski's health.

"The Texans have injuries at tight end," an evaluator said, "but Allen would just be [worth] a seventh-rounder."

Scuttlebutt on ESPN about NFL trades

If we were able to get a 6th or a 7th for Alfred Blue... I would consider a trade for Allen (if it only cost us a 7th).

6 hours ago, jch1911 said:

If we were able to get a 6th or a 7th for Alfred Blue... I would consider a trade for Allen (if it only cost us a 7th).

The Pats have a pretty crowded backfield as is, don't think they're going to muddle it up further with a guy who doesn't really prove to be better than Gillesse/Burkhead/White/Lewis.

Given the awful state of the New England defense, only thing we could offer up a front seven body, which I doubt we'd do.

1 hour ago, EliteTexan80 said:

The Pats have a pretty crowded backfield as is, don't think they're going to muddle it up further with a guy who doesn't really prove to be better than Gillesse/Burkhead/White/Lewis.

Given the awful state of the New England defense, only thing we could offer up a front seven body, which I doubt we'd do.

Could be wrong but I think he was talking two different trades. Blue to one team for a 6th or 7th. And then a 7th to the Pats for Allen

2 hours ago, EliteTexan80 said:

I was saying Alfred Blue to another team for a 6th / 7th (GB, SEA, etc.) Then using a 7th on Allen

C'mon ET... you went to Kempner, man!  ;)  

To your point... If Pats would take Brandon Dunn for Allen, I would happily send him on his way (should have kept Ankou anyway) and pick Rickey Hatley back up because I believe he is a street free agent plus he played solid in pre-season.

EDIT: I was taking my daughter to school and didn't get to post my thought until now.  Thanks mse and thanks ET!  It's why I love posting here :)

Archived