53 Man Roster plus more (There's always next year)

lumberjackchris

I think we should draft a QB in round 6 or 7. Go get a guy like Quinton Flowers of USF or Nick Fitzgerald of Miss. State, depending on where those guys grade out. groom a guy in the same mold as Watson to be our number 2 QB.

as for the Kapernick thing, I think the Texans know the season is in the tank, and McNair knows he screwed up with his comments, I think they are just wanting to go under the radar and not bring the insane attention that a Kapernick signing would bring. I also dont think that Kapernick would make much a difference in wins and losses this late into the season. 

43 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I think we should draft a QB in round 6 or 7. Go get a guy like Quinton Flowers of USF or Nick Fitzgerald of Miss. State, depending on where those guys grade out. groom a guy in the same mold as Watson to be our number 2 QB.

as for the Kapernick thing, I think the Texans know the season is in the tank, and McNair knows he screwed up with his comments, I think they are just wanting to go under the radar and not bring the insane attention that a Kapernick signing would bring. I also dont think that Kapernick would make much a difference in wins and losses this late into the season. 

I think drafting a qb late in the draft is a given. Savage is 100 percent not coming back, and I guess we resign Yates or Johnson with the other leaving as a free agent. . I'm guessing he wants to go somewhere else where he has a chance to win a starting job. Not a fan of either QB's you mentioned. Flowers will be switching positions (wr or rb) and Fitzgerald is a jr who hasn't had a great year, so I'm willing to bet he returns.  Maybe a guy like Jake Browning if he comes out as a jr.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

I've kind of been crushing on Bryan Schor as a late round QB. I'd actually like him in the mid rounds too. Maybe it's the FCS in me since I went to Delaware and Villanova.

I knew there was a reason we butted heads!  Hoya Saxa!

(I actually work at the school where Rollie Massimino was the head basketball coach until he passed. RIP Coach Mass)

Just sharing this.... (1) we have $$$ to burn this year & (2) just kick the tires (or groin)?

Sounds like he is done for the year anyway.... o.O

Colts released CB Vontae Davis.

Veterans are subject to waivers after the trade deadline, but it is highly unlikely he is plucked off the wire. Davis has not played well this season, reportedly needs season-ending groin surgery, and any team which claims him would be on the hook for the $4.24 million left on his deal this year. One of the premier corners in the league at one point in the not too distant past, Davis played six seasons with the Colts after being acquired in a trade from the Dolphins in 2012. He was in the final year of his deal.

16 minutes ago, jch1911 said:

Just sharing this.... (1) we have $$$ to burn this year & (2) just kick the tires (or groin)?

Sounds like he is done for the year anyway.... o.O

I was thinking about that this morning.  Not sure how bad the injury is but I would pass. 

18 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

What would be the odds of Lamar Jackson falling to the 5th round and us drafting him? he would be a great fit behind Watson and possibly be a guy we could flip for a 2nd or 3rd later on. I know at one point he was thought of as a 1st rounder, but he seems to be falling fast 

Not a chance.

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty anticlimactic development, but the Bears designated Quintin Demps for IR/Return which actually is slightly good news for us.  Comp picks are based upon some secret formula based upon contract value (APY), snap counts, and performance.  Bouye is pretty much a lock for the Pro Bowl this year, so I actually suspect he will garner the 2nd highest overall comp pick which should be pick #98 (behind Cards Calias Campbell who will be Pro Bowler, but much higher APY).  Whitworth would be up there as a likely Pro Bowler but one of the many asterisks is players with 10 years in the league only get 5th round comp (making letting him go, all that more ridiculous).  John Simon and Quinton Demps were originally projected to yield 6th Round comps, but Simon has missed 1/2 of the season and Demps almost all of it so snap counts are going to be a problem.  Simon's deal was 3 years/$14m and Demps 3/$13.5m which actually is relatively high in a light FA year. 

As a reminder, players who are cut DON'T garner comp picks, only true free agents (so no comp if we cut Brock, Brown, Cushing, etc).  Offseason signings before 2nd Tuesday after the league year starts (draft day) are the only one's that count, so Gilchrist, Ellington and the 30 other street guys we've brought in don't count against us.  Team only receives comp picks for difference between free agents that leave and free agents signed, but I'm wondering if Giacomini's snap count now threatens to cancel out a comp pick.   Resigning Novak only to cut him in Sept likely cost us a comp pick as well as I suspect he would have won a job vs. in season replacement.   Strong absolutely should have been traded for a late round pick vs. cut in season.  32 picks are awarded across 3rd-7th rounds, but no set number per round.  Max per team is 4.   Personally I thought the Fido, Hal, Griffin, Prosch early resignings wouldn't be worth the comp picks we would receive in comp return, but with all the holes and limited draft picks, I suspect we will end up with a net gain in FAs in 2018, thus no comp picks (Joseph is our only FA with any value anyway, but Savage, XSF, Mancz, Gilchrist, Clark, Blue could get backup jobs).   

On 11/8/2017 at 9:47 AM, mse326 said:

I've kind of been crushing on Bryan Schor as a late round QB. I'd actually like him in the mid rounds too. Maybe it's the FCS in me since I went to Delaware and Villanova.

Quick question on potential backups via the draft - JT Barrett out of OSU? I don't think people have anything higher than a 5th round projection for him.

2 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

I suspect we will end up with a net gain in FAs in 2018, thus no comp picks (Joseph is our only FA with any value anyway, but Savage, XSF, Mancz, Gilchrist, Clark, Blue could get backup jobs).   

I agree with most of what you said.  But IIRC Mancz is a RFA who we will hopefully tender at 2nd round level and then sign to an extension.

I also think JJo may come back on a team friendly, but full guaranteed deal.

I also think (hope) we will be mucho active in free agency so we will not be getting comp picks next season,

I could see us (1) restructure Watt & Nuk + (2) cut Cushing & Newton + (3) trade KJax to NYJ for a 7th.  That would have us at around $85M in cap space.

We could sign LT (Solder-NE), CB (Carrie-OAK), and S (Joyner-LAR) to fill biggest holes.  (Presuming Davenport makes leap to start at RT.)

There would still be $$$ for backup fill-ins as well as new deals for Clowney, Mancz, Pleasant, JJo, & the Ellington cuzzos.

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

No. He can't throw.

That's what they used to say about Watson - his velocity isn't NFL caliber, he's not going to be able to make the throws, etc. 

I'm not saying Barrett is some kind of special QB that can be developed or anything like that, but he can probably run our Clemson South offense and present a similar threat to run. 

Archived