53 Man Roster plus more (There's always next year)

lumberjackchris

Post Cincy thoughts on a roster plan:

Currently have two open slots to fill (51 players)

(1) Call NYJ offer Alfred Blue for CB Daryl Roberts (slap myself after they agree)

(2) Sign TE Gary Barnidge (if he checks out medically) (Bayliss back to PS)

(3) Restructure Duane Brown (convert salary into signing bonus protects him for 2 years - include additional $1M bonus if Texans lead league in rushing yards or make AFC Conf Championship or something) +1

(4) Sign S/CB Brandon WIlson off of Cincy's PS (special teamer who has ability to hang with speedy WRs) (cut Marcus Burley) [I'm actually okay with keeping Burley, but I think Brandon WIlson would pay off long-term and would aid our ST]

(5) Sign LB Gerald Hodges or re-sign LB Eric Lee off of Buffalo's PS +1

Would put us back at 53 players and would hopefully help our ST.   Moreover, hopefully, it would help out our secondary.

EDIT: KJo out 4 - 6 weeks = need more secondary help sooner rather than later. Call up Jets!!!

Well nope to Barnidge

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Texans aren't expected to sign free agent TE Gary Barnidge.

So next up...

Jordan Cameron (concussions?)

Dennis Pitta (retired?)

Ladarius Green (personal fav... but concussions)

Brandon Myers 

Larry Donnell

Rob Housler

Take your pick and take two aspirin ;)

3 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Well nope to Barnidge

So next up...

Jordan Cameron (concussions?)

Dennis Pitta (retired?)

Ladarius Green (personal fav... but concussions)

Brandon Myers 

Larry Donnell

Rob Housler

Take your pick and take two aspirin ;)

Jace Amaro

Jacob Tamme

Gavin Escobar

I second Ladarius Green

Ian rapoport said gary wasn't a fit here

Texans sign TE MyCole Pruitt & WR Cobi Hamilton to practice squad

Texans worked out TEs Gary Barnidge, Gavin Escobar, Larry Donnell, MyCole Pruitt, David Johnson; WRs Cobi Hamilton & Jordan Leslie; OT Jah Reid; QB Garrett Grayson

Update

Also, Orlando Franklin interests me as someone who could play either G spot as well as RT in a pinch.  Then we could move XSF???

8 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

I second Ladarius Green

Green has significant concussion issues. I doubt he passes a physical at this point. I get behind the rest of the names, however - Amaro was always talented, could really do well.

8 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

T - Branden Albert

T - Michael Oher

T - Cyrus Kouandijo (Bills '14 2nd round)

Albert has checked out - basically held out for an extension with Jacksonville, never got it, so quit. He's Duane Brown without any sort of talent.

Oher is another concussion issue. I wouldn't be surprised if he's pretty much blacklisted by the owners. Last thing you need is a high profile player like Sandra Bullock's adopted kid becoming the face of NFL concussions, so he won't be signed anywhere.

Cyrus is an interesting story - police found him nearly dead, naked in a field a while back (March, maybe?) Not sure what the hell that's all about, but people close to the situation are saying bath salts. Not quite sure you want that. Plus, he wasn't that good in Buffalo to begin with.

Orlando Franklin is the only name there that doesn't frighten me.

1 hour ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Ryan Griffin and Anderson will probably be back for our next game, so I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't sign a TE. Just means we have to cut someone to bring Fido back 

No cuts if we send Bayliss back to PS (where he belongs right now)

11 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

G - Jeremy Zuttah

Traded to San Francisco, cut, signed by Ravens after John Urschel retired, then cut again. I think he's probably best suited for C, so if the plan was to move Martin to G, this COULD work.

11 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

G - John Greco

Coming off of a lisfranc injury - I think we've seen what that looks like with the decline of Kevin Johnson and the fall of Matt Schaub, so might not be much of an improvement.

Signed T Jah Reid (ex Chiefs / Ravens 3rd round).  Had him on my list but took him off for brevity since he was pretty fart down my list.  Drives me nuts that when signings are reported, cuts aren't.  Andy Jones was cut for Bayliss.  Jaelen Strong took Fido's spot when we IR'd him.  Burkey took Virgin's spot (who was resigned to PS).  Never saw a signing to take up Cushing's spot on suspended list, so maybe a cut isn't required but if so I think everyone has seen enough of Breno  "Shivakamini" Giacomini to last a lifetime. 

8 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

We didnt sign Barnidge?  Stupid.

Something must be wrong with the guy. There's an injury or something that isn't being disclosed, only sort of explanation I can take as to why nobody has signed him yet.

19 hours ago, Apollo Stallion said:

Signed T Jah Reid (ex Chiefs / Ravens 3rd round). 

Bleh. KC fans were overjoyed when they cut him in favor of Cam Erving, so not enjoying this signing. I mean, I know you're not going to find Orlando Pace right about now, but Reid was a pretty bad backup.

Archived