How Would Trent Williams Look in Purple and Gold?

News in the DC region (I live 60 miles outside the nations' capital) is reporting that the Redskins are, indeed, trying to trade LT Trent Williams.  Williams is one of the better tackles in football, but he has a fairly expensive contract, and is holding out from training camp in hopes of a new contract or a new team!

There is no doubt that the Vikings offensive line could use a player of Williams quality.  But what would it cost?  What are your thoughts?

18 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Laquon Treadwell and Riley Reiff for Trent Williams. Who says no?!

Throw in a 2nd round pick, and you may actually get them to pick up the phone. 

Even though I don’t think the contracts would offset enough for it to work. 

*nevermind, didn’t realize that they signed Donald Penn. they wouldn’t want Reiff. 

But even if you found a way to make a trade work, what is his health status? 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Throw in a 2nd round pick, and you may actually get them to pick up the phone. 

Even though I don’t think the contracts would offset enough for it to work. 

*nevermind, didn’t realize that they signed Donald Penn. they wouldn’t want Reiff. 

But even if you found a way to make a trade work, what is his health status? 

I was mostly being facetious. While he's a damn good left tackle, Trent Williams always seems to have something going on whether it is health related or extracurricular. 

Trent Williams would look glorious in purple and gold.

I have seen some day that the salary cap hasn't prevented the team from bringing in anyone. If that is true, that won't be an issue in a trade for Trent Williams.

That leaves the question of compensation. I would give up a first round pick for Trent Williams if he would sign a contract that puts him under the team's control for the next five years.

Of course, since the salary cap is a real constraint the team would have to figure that out too. Getting the 'skins to take Reiff and Treadwell would do it. It is even reasonable to think they would want Reiff. It is doubtful that they would take on Treadwell. So the first move is to get the extension with Williams done. The extension that Trent Williams signs with the Viking as part of the deal could be structured in a way to reduce his cap hit to $9M for 2019. That alone is enough as trading away Reiff would open up $9.5M in cap space in 2019. It would also leave $2.2M of dead cap space on the books for 2020.

It would be glorious.

his play has fallen off the past few years. his PFF grade in 2016 was 92.7 (elite), 2017 was 82.6 (good) and last season was 74.1 (about average). reiff's overall grade last season was 73.6.

if we were getting prime trent williams it'd be a different story but right now i'd rather stick with reiff given what we'd have to give up to get williams.

It would be amazing to get him but the NFL is not the NBA, rarely can one just throw out three players and get one great one back.  I assume the Redskins would want 1st round draft picks and a lot of them.  Not sure that would be a great idea.

Sure I would give up Reiff, Waynes and Treadwell for him in a second but that is not going to happen.  Heck I would trade Kirk Cousins for Trent Williams and Case Keenum, or better yet Trent Williams and Alex Smith!  But that will never happen.  Why the Redskins would want to trade one of the best tackles in football I have no idea.

1 hour ago, whitehops said:

his play has fallen off the past few years. his PFF grade in 2016 was 92.7 (elite), 2017 was 82.6 (good) and last season was 74.1 (about average). reiff's overall grade last season was 73.6.

if we were getting prime trent williams it'd be a different story but right now i'd rather stick with reiff given what we'd have to give up to get williams.

Good info. I don't watch the Redskins as closely.  If Trent Williams' play has been falling off and isn't what I remember of him the team needs to consider what they would expect out of him in the next five years. I am not in a position to project that as I still remember him as a top LT in the league. Maybe his injuries will prevent him from ever looking like that again. The relevant decision makers better be sitting down and watching all of Williams' tape in the last three years if they are considering whether to make a trade offer to the Redskins. And, why shouldn't they be considering it? The team needs a LT next year and beyond. That can be Reiff, Williams, or something else but they better be considering their options since they don't have an answer nailed down.

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure I would give up Reiff, Waynes and Treadwell for him in a second but that is not going to happen.  Heck I would trade Kirk Cousins for Trent Williams and Case Keenum, or better yet Trent Williams and Alex Smith!  But that will never happen.  Why the Redskins would want to trade one of the best tackles in football I have no idea.

I would give up Cousins for Williams and Keenum too. As far as why the Redskins would want to trade Trent Williams away, it is because they are feeling like WIlliams will never play for them again anyway. Perhaps they have seen the decline in his play referenced by Mr @whitehops and are unwilling to come anywhere near Williams' contract demands. But, if they know their options are Williams not playing for them and they get nothing, or trading Williams and they get something it makes the decision to trade him easy to understand. It comes down to how certain they feel that he is not bluffing.

Edited by Cearbhall

27 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Good info. I don't watch the Redskins as closely.  If Trent Williams' play has been falling off and isn't what I remember of him the team needs to consider what they would expect out of him in the next five years. I am not in a position to project that as I still remember him as a top LT in the league. Maybe his injuries will prevent him from ever looking like that again. The relevant decision makers better be sitting down and watching all of Williams' tape in the last three years if they are considering whether to make a trade offer to the Redskins. And, why shouldn't they be considering it? The team needs a LT next year and beyond. That can be Reiff, Williams, or something else but they better be considering their options since they don't have an answer nailed down.

I would give up Cousins for Williams and Keenum too. As far as why the Redskins would want to trade Trent Williams away, it is because they are feeling like WIlliams will never play for them again anyway. Perhaps they have seen the decline in his play referenced by Mr @whitehops and are unwilling to come anywhere near Williams' contract demands. But, if they know their options are Williams not playing for them and they get nothing, or trading Williams and they get something it makes the decision to trade him easy to understand. It comes down to how certain they feel that he is not bluffing.

Yeah it is all just BS though, the Redskins did not want Cousins then and would not want him now.  They are going with Haskins and no clue what they will do with Alex Smith and that huge contract or Keenum to be honest.  But Keenum was before they got Haskins and was to play with Smith being hurt, now Haskins could beat both out in the end most likely.  

Maybe they would want Waynes, Reiff and Treadwell but again it is not the NBA here.

Maybe Kirk can play better this year with being around the team and offense more, but if he does not bring this team to the playoffs this season he is probably out without question.  Vikings would probably already draft his replacement potentially in 2020.    

Alex Smith’s career is over, his leg injury was Theismann like.

Cousins would cost the Vikings an additional $31M (above his current cap hit) to trade. I believe he has a no trade clause anyway.

Williams’ holdout and trade demand reportedly is due to him feeling the team has mishandled his medical care over the years, not just a new contract demand.

Williams just turned 31. The last 3 seasons, he’s missed 4, 6 and 3 games and his PFF grades have fallen off. I’d be leery of signing him to a long term deal at premium prices. Some tackles (Whitworth, Peters) do excel into their mid-30s but that isn’t the rule.

The recent contract benchmarks for tackles (Lewan, Brown) would put an extension for Williams at $16M per year or above. That’d be difficult for the Vikings to accommodate even moving Reiff. 

A trade involving Reiff might have had some appeal to Washington, but they already signed Donald Penn.

Treadwell has no trade value.

Waynes has some, but the Vikings can’t move a CB unless they’re OK starting Kris Boyd.

A first round pick is way too much to pay for a 31 year old OL. 

I can’t imagine the Vikings are in the market for Williams. Reiff and the OL should do better this year with the coaching and scheme change.

• Like 2