How Would Trent Williams Look in Purple and Gold?

14 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd be content with a Sullivan type at center at this point. Sullivan was very good for us, if not for injuries, might have been better long term. I think Bradbury has exceptional upside and will be a key player to build around up front. O'Neill is solid. Where the Vikes needs help the most long term is OG. Don't see how Williams helps us there, unless Reiff moves inside.

I would not, I would sure hope Bradbury is better than freaking Sullivan was.  Sullivan was a very late round pick Bradbury is a 1st rounder, if a 1st rounder cannot play better than Sullivan that is just sad.  I agree they need help at OT but the Williams talk is just fantasy, if they did get him Reiff would be gone in the trade or O'Neill would be but it will not happen. 

Guard I like Dru Samia as a project long term, hopefully he can win some time because Kline I am not a fan of at all as a OG.  And Elflein who knows if he can even play the position but I guess would be better than he was last year at center which was pretty bad.  Sure he played it in college but the NFL is different.  I do not have a ton of faith in Isidora but maybe he can show something this year, same with Collins who has a lot of athletic ability.  Would be great if Udoh becomes some star OT for the future but that is a stretch.  

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I would not, I would sure hope Bradbury is better than freaking Sullivan was.  Sullivan was a very late round pick Bradbury is a 1st rounder, if a 1st rounder cannot play better than Sullivan that is just sad.  I agree they need help at OT but the Williams talk is just fantasy, if they did get him Reiff would be gone in the trade or O'Neill would be but it will not happen. 

Tom Brady says "hi."

Matt Birk was a 6th round pick too. Jeff Christy was a 4th rounder.

Sullivan was a very solid NFL Center. 

While we all expect big things out of Bradbury, we should probably realize that slightly above average will look better than the hot garbage we've had there since Sullivan left. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Tom Brady says "hi."

Matt Birk was a 6th round pick too. Jeff Christy was a 4th rounder.

Sullivan was a very solid NFL Center. 

While we all expect big things out of Bradbury, we should probably realize that slightly above average will look better than the hot garbage we've had there since Sullivan left. 

Let us get one thing straight, John Sullivan IS NOT Matt Birk and he is not Jeff Christy! To just compare them because they also were drafted late in the draft and turned into be good players is just not correct.  

Matt Birk was a 6 time Pro Bowl player and 2 time All Pro!  You compare him to freaking crap John Sullivan because they were drafted in the lower rounds and played for the Vikings?  Come on, that is not the point.  Point is John Sullivan is not that good and if our 1st round pick is another John Sullivan that will be quite sad.  Sure Sullivan is a manageable starter in the league, nothing more and nothing less, we do not need average on the OL full of other average players, we need someone great for once on the OL something we have not had for a very long time.  

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Let us get one thing straight, John Sullivan IS NOT Matt Birk and he is not Jeff Christy! To just compare them because they also were drafted late in the draft and turned into be good players is just not correct.  

Matt Birk was a 6 time Pro Bowl player and 2 time All Pro!  You compare him to freaking crap John Sullivan because they were drafted in the lower rounds and played for the Vikings?  Come on, that is not the point.  Point is John Sullivan is not that good and if our 1st round pick is another John Sullivan that will be quite sad.  Sure Sullivan is a manageable starter in the league, nothing more and nothing less, we do not need average on the OL full of other average players, we need someone great for once on the OL something we have not had for a very long time.  

Decaf in the morning might help...

Just now, wcblack34 said:

Decaf in the morning might help...

giphy.gif

Hey, I am not the one comparing freaking John Sullivan to Matt Birk.  PS Coffee is awful, ;) never drink the it.

Oh but Sullivan was part of the "Built Ford Tough Offensive Line of the Year" winner this past season 2018.  Wowie.  They won that because of Whitworth and Safford not Sullivan and he is currently out of the league.  

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I think we are playoffs contender, not a Superbowl contender.

I believe the Vikings actually are a Super Bowl contender.  While the NFC is deep in talent, there isn't one single team that scares me in the least.  And we can't forget that 15 of the 22 starters in that 2017 NFC Championship Game are still on the team.  There's absolutely no question to me that the Vikings are a Super Bowl contender.  Now whether they can put it all together, that remains to be seen.  This team isn't just a playoff contender.  Anything short of the playoffs is a tremendous failure.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I believe the Vikings actually are a Super Bowl contender.  While the NFC is deep in talent, there isn't one single team that scares me in the least.  And we can't forget that 15 of the 22 starters in that 2017 NFC Championship Game are still on the team.  There's absolutely no question to me that the Vikings are a Super Bowl contender.  Now whether they can put it all together, that remains to be seen.  This team isn't just a playoff contender.  Anything short of the playoffs is a tremendous failure.  

Yep. If we're looking at "tiers" of NFC Super Bowl contenders, I'd put us maybe a notch below Philly and the Rams. I think we're a more complete team than Chicago or Green Bay, and I think there will be some regression from New Orleans. Our premium position players (WR, DE, CB) are as good as any in the league. Our complimentary pieces (RB, TE, DT and LB) are all solid. 

This team goes as far as the offensive line and Kirk Cousins. If the OL makes a leap to the middle of the pack, this team is as good as any other in the NFC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I agree.  The problem is that there is that other conference in the league!  Teams  like New England and Kansas City (who has apparently improved their defense) will be awfully tough to beat...San Diego, er...LA should be good, along with Houston and Indy being in the mix.  I can't believe I'm saying this, and I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid, by the freaking Browns might be a team to contend with this year.

But, again, I agree with you, I think we should shape up very well against the rest of the NFC.

I'm still not all-in on the Chiefs.  While Reid is a very good coach and Mahomes is a very good QB...they aren't going to sneak up on anyone and I don't have any faith in their WR depth.  I think the Chargers are going to win that division.  And their defense, while improved, aren't going to scare anyone....they are going to have to, once again, rely on the offense to outscore the other team, because I don't think their defense is going to stop anyone consistently.  I think the AFC is going to come down to NE, Indy and the Chargers.  I don't think the Chiefs will be a factor in the end.  

On 8/6/2019 at 4:48 PM, HeydudemanG said:

If this were madden but changing some big keys of our team right now seems unlikely right now going into preseason.

Just to play devil's advocate, Chicago made a massive trade to get Khalil Mack from Oakland about a week before the regular season began.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 4:15 AM, SteelKing728 said:

Just to play devil's advocate, Chicago made a massive trade to get Khalil Mack from Oakland about a week before the regular season began.

But, there's also a huge difference between adding an offensive lineman and a linebacker.  Offensive line play relies much heavier on chemistry between the other parts than a LB.    

• Like 1

• 4 years later...