Eagles add S/LB Jonathan Cyprien

Kiltman

8 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

Assets are assets. A 4th rounder could mean a lot of things. A potential starter, depth on the OL, a way to maneuver a better pick with a trade up, a sweetener to land Clowney. Sendejo is a 32 year old S. He’s seemingly worthless in this league. Howie most certainly thought about the comp pick when acquiring Tate. Dont see the reason he’d just forget about it now. If through 10 weeks he sees a potential out for that 4th rounder, he’ll do it. 

Yeah the trade value is the biggest thing to me, see quality starters going for 4ths and 5ths every offseason.

I think Sendejo is staying though, Fort has shown some athleticism but there have been some promising rookie LBs...would think he'd get the axe first.
Especially with how little the Eagles care about LB

25 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah the trade value is the biggest thing to me, see quality starters going for 4ths and 5ths every offseason.

I think Sendejo is staying though, Fort has shown some athleticism but there have been some promising rookie LBs...would think he'd get the axe first.
Especially with how little the Eagles care about LB

i dont think howie is someone that would make his team worse to get better draft assets a year a later.

2 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

i dont think howie is someone that would make his team worse to get better draft assets a year a later.

Which is why Sendejo is safe, despite what some people think.
He's clearly the 3rd best safety on the team.

I think it could come into play though when it’s Fort vs the other LBs. 

Bradham, Kamu, and Brown are locks

Then they might only be able to keep 2 from Fort, Gerry, Worrilow, Edwards, and Singleton
We are going heavy so many other places, and have devalued LB so much by going nickel so much.

They seem to love Gerry for whatever reason, and those last two young guys have played well.

If Fort was playing great it wouldn’t be so much of a discussion. Or if those other guys weren’t playing well, it also wouldn’t be a discussion.
But he’s just been fine, and they have looked promising. 

They are all under contract 2 to 3 years, so comp picks next year doesn’t come into play.

On 8/17/2019 at 2:51 AM, Jroc04 said:

Assets are assets. A 4th rounder could mean a lot of things. A potential starter, depth on the OL, a way to maneuver a better pick with a trade up, a sweetener to land Clowney. Sendejo is a 32 year old S. He’s seemingly worthless in this league. Howie most certainly thought about the comp pick when acquiring Tate. Dont see the reason he’d just forget about it now. If through 10 weeks he sees a potential out for that 4th rounder, he’ll do it. 

I haven't seen where the Eagles were getting Clowney.
That's just a nonsense reason to cut Sendejo.
Plus, if there is a shot at Clowney, the Eagles will have other picks.
He is worth it and they don't need that much.

As for the pick, the last 10 4th round picks were:
Shareef Miller
Avonte Maddox
Josh Sweat
Mack Hollins
Donnel Pumphrey
Jaylen Watkins
Matt Barkley
Brandon Boykin
Casey Mathews
Alex Henery

Other than Maddox, there hasn't been a lot of quality there.
That's a 10% shot on the pick, not to mention it would be a sandwich pick, more akin to a 5th rounder.

Clayton Thorson
Shelton Gibson
Nathan Gerry
Wendell Smallwood
Halapoulivaati Vaitai
Taylor Hart
Ed Reynolds
Earl Wolff
Dennis Kelly
Dion Lewis
Julian Vandervelde

They are similar, albeit slightly better results.
Still, they're not game changers.

This team is built to win now.
You push all in.
The Eagles can't afford to have a glaring deficiency at the expense of the 135th pick in next year's draft.

Inexpensive, veteran depth provides the Eagles with proven performance, a guy who can start in a pinch and leadership.
If he's the best S2 in camp, even by a little, they should keep him.
Frankly, I don't see Deiondre’ Hall beating him out.

5 minutes ago, babyatemydingo said:

They are similar, albeit slightly better results.
Still, they're not game changers.

yeah the actual picks in the 4th we've had don't make it worth it.
I've only ever thought of it as trade value for vets.
A way for Howie to get around the comp pick formula and make the team better quick with guys like Desean, Michael Bennett, etc

Can get a solid guy for a 4th most years.

On 8/19/2019 at 1:13 AM, Kiltman said:

yeah the actual picks in the 4th we've had don't make it worth it.
I've only ever thought of it as trade value for vets.
A way for Howie to get around the comp pick formula and make the team better quick with guys like Desean, Michael Bennett, etc

Can get a solid guy for a 4th most years.

Um no, see above.

4 hours ago, Kiltman said:

No, U

(what am I supposed to read dingo?!?)

Dingo logic: A 4th is worthless because of our draft history. 

A 4th has value. New value every year. To think otherwise is asinine. It’s NFL currency and is valuable. 

Any year, any time if I propose a 4th for your backup safety, you take it. Why? Because a 4th is more valuable than a guy that’s easily replaced. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jroc04 said:

A 4th has value. New value every year. To think otherwise is asinine. It’s NFL currency and is valuable. 

Any year, any time if I propose a 4th for your backup safety, you take it. Why? Because a 4th is more valuable than a guy that’s easily replaced. 

it seems like a lot of those 4th round picks also flashed good for a year or two. I wouldnt say they were all trash.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/24/2019 at 7:53 AM, Jroc04 said:

Just about every team's 4th round picks go this way.
This is not an exclusive thing.
A 4th round pick is what a 4th round pick is.

The Eagles are chasing a Super Bowl this year.
They are not holding open tryouts like the Dolphins (or the 76'ers two years ago).

"Maybe's" <<< known commodities.

The primary concern needs to be what makes the team better now.
Compiling middle round picks for the sake of compiling middle round picks should not be a priority.

The Eagles traded down in the latter part of the draft and even moved a pick for a player, a known commodity.
You have to take into consideration where you are in the grand scheme of things.

Now, if a guy doesn't work out, then fine, cut him.
But, are the Eagles going to develop a better safety than Sendejo or a better LB than Fort between now and week 10?
Probably not.
That should be OK if they win the division and a playoff game.

For the record, I have no objection to amassing picks, just not at the expense of fielding the best team possible this year and for the foreseeable future.
It would be different if they were a 5-11 team.

17 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

Just about every team's 4th round picks go this way.
This is not an exclusive thing.
A 4th round pick is what a 4th round pick is.

The Eagles are chasing a Super Bowl this year.
They are not holding open tryouts like the Dolphins (or the 76'ers two years ago).

"Maybe's" <<< known commodities.

The primary concern needs to be what makes the team better now.
Compiling middle round picks for the sake of compiling middle round picks should not be a priority.

The Eagles traded down in the latter part of the draft and even moved a pick for a player, a known commodity.
You have to take into consideration where you are in the grand scheme of things.

Now, if a guy doesn't work out, then fine, cut him.
But, are the Eagles going to develop a better safety than Sendejo or a better LB than Fort between now and week 10?
Probably not.
That should be OK if they win the division and a playoff game.

For the record, I have no objection to amassing picks, just not at the expense of fielding the best team possible this year and for the foreseeable future.
It would be different if they were a 5-11 team.

This is fine if you’re dealing in absolutes. But the fact of the matter is you can easily achieve both. Get a capable backup and accumulate future assets. Any GM worth his necktie does his best to create a well rounded roster but also keeps an eye on the horizon. There comes a point, I agree, that you worry less about the future when you can push towards the ultimate but does a backup safety really evoke that kind of impression? Has a 2nd string safety ever been the difference in a super bowl? And you’re missing the point about the actual 4th. I’m sure you understand but you keep reiterating that the known commodity is more valuable than the unknown. Sure.  But what you fail to acknowledge is that the 4th is currency. Jadeveon Clowney went for a 3rd and a couple throw ins. Antonio Brown for a 3rd and 5th. Does a 3rd ever compare to either one of those guys? Highly unlikely. But it goes to show how valuable those picks are. Players that end up being 3rd and 5th picks? Not that impressive. But undetermined 3rd, 4th, 5th rounders can net you superstars in the right situation. And to shut your door to that possibility over a backup, aged safety is irresponsible. 

To be fair, I feel good about Sendejo. Apparently, he’s looked really good and seems to be a decent part of the defense going forward. I’m glad there’s some good, veteran experience back there. Especially after the Corey Graham experiment. But Howie, if he’s a thorough GM, will have a couple big decisions ahead of him. 

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Kiltman said:

Sendejo had a pass breakup and a massive hit...on Maddox

Cyp was not making an impact watching it live, positive or negative, aside from the one PI they called on him

Sendejo has eight tackles and the pass he defended was in the red zone and prevented a TD, thereby altering the game.
Win.

Cyprien, not so much, but he wasn't even in the game until there was an injury.
Was Deionte Hall a better option?
How so?

Just now, babyatemydingo said:

Sendejo has eight tackles and the pass he defended was in the red zone and prevented a TD, thereby altering the game.
Win.

Cyprien, not so much, but he wasn't even in the game until there was an injury.
Was Deionte Hall a better option?
How so?

I agree, had some bad spots. But had net positive his game

Cyp was fine, in our secondary not hearing the name is a great thing