Preseason, Week 1: VIKINGS (0-0) at Saints (0-0)

swede700

Preseason Impact  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which ex-Viking will make the biggest impact in the game?

• QB Teddy Bridgewater
    • C Nick Easton
    • FB Zach Line
    • DB Marcus Sherels
    • RB Latavius Murray

Game 1

NFL_Vikings.gif at NFL_Saints.gif

When:  8:00 PM EST August 9th

Where: Mercedes-Benz Superdome (New Orleans, LA)

TV/Radio: KMSP(TV), KFAN 100.3 (Radio); Replay on NFLN: 11:00 PM EST, August 9th and 1:00 PM EST, August 12th

Announcers: Paul Allen, Pete Bercich, Greg Coleman

Coverage Map:  N/A

Notable Injuries:

Vikings - Questionable: None, Doubtful: None, Out: None

Saints - Questionable: None, Doubtful: None, Out: None 

Please keep all discussion about the game here.

tenor.gif?itemid=10809571

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

It will be a good first test of the season no doubt.  And honestly in terms of a total roster the Saints have arguably one of the best if not the best roster in football, especially if you look at young prospects, they are freaking stacked.

So again great 1st game for the Vikings to see where they are at.  

Made this post on a different thread talking about teams with best players 25 and under not including rookies.  After looking at it more I would say the Saints have the deepest group by far, all of these guys are 25 or under!

25 of under Saints:
A. Kamara RB
M. Davenport DE
R. Ramczyk OT
M. Lattimore CB
A. Peat OT
V. Bell S
M. Brown DT
S. Rankins DT
M. Williams S
E. Apple CB
A. Anzalone LB
M. Edwards DE
T. Stallworth DT

They also have guys like TreQuan Smith WRand if they develop Simmie Cobbs WR, Alize Mack TE, Matt Dayes RB or if you include rookies Humphrey WR, Ozigbo RB, Erick McCoy C, Porter Gustin DE, Gardner-Johnson S, Vince Biegel LB and Corbin Kaufusi DE.

Wish the Vikings could have a list like that.

25 and under:
D. Hunter DE
S. Diggs WR
D. Cook RB
M. Alexander CB
M. Hughes CB
P. Elflein C
B. O'Neill OT
J. Kearse S

If including rookies and if they play well Bradbury, Smith and Mattison could be on it or if Weatherly develops or Holton Hill actually stays on the field etc.  Still in terms of depth it is not even close and two of these guys the Vikings have on this list get injured a lot or have been recently in Cook and Hughes.  And Elflein and O'Neill are much less proven than Peat and Ramczyk obviously.  And outside of Hunter the DL really has to develop and get some players for the future.  Not to mention the secondary where the Saints have tons of guys that have played a lot, the Vikings not really.  Bell, Lattimore and Williams are starters and possibly Apple.  Alexander only plays in nickle and will see what Hughes does and Kearse is just every now and again.

So again it will be a great game to start with that is for sure.

29 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Lots of Negative Nellies on here!  FOOTBAWWWWWW!!!! GIVE IT TO ME!!!!

If nothing else, it just means we're one week closer to the real games. Yeah, the preseason games suck from a quality standpoint, but I'm still pumped. 

I actually like preseason football. You get to see the guys you liked during the draft get real reps, you get to see how young players are developing, you get to see how many of the fluff pieces that get written during training camp are legit, etc. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I actually like preseason football. You get to see the guys you liked during the draft get real reps, you get to see how young players are developing, you get to see how many of the fluff pieces that get written during training camp are legit, etc. 

I can't stand all the freakin' mistakes...all the little yellow flags covering the field...all the stupid whistles stopping really terrible football.  The other thing that is simply ridiculous is that my local paper has a Preseason Standings column in the sports section!  The games don't count!!!!!

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

I hate preseason football!  Worst excuse for sporting event outside of the NFL Pro Bowl.

I hate the 4th preseason game.  Let's cut it to 3, so only the 3rd game will be completely unwatchable.  At least with this first game, we'll get a healthy dose of the primary backups.  

But, I do agree with your 2nd post, Preseason Standings are pointless.  I wish it were easier to find cumulative preseason statistics though, so we can truly find out who are the Princes of the Preseason.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I hate the 4th preseason game.  Let's cut it to 3, so only the 3rd game will be completely unwatchable.  At least with this first game, we'll get a healthy dose of the primary backups.  

But, I do agree with your 2nd post, Preseason Standings are pointless.  I wish it were easier to find cumulative preseason statistics though, so we can truly find out who are the Princes of the Preseason.  

I think the league could get rid of two preseason games and implement more joint practice sessions. Seems that would be more useful without actually having to play as many meaningless games. But I'm sure the league makes some money off of preseason games and this topic will end up being a bargaining chip to move to 18 game regular season, which I'm fine with. If I'm going to watch 20 football games, I'd rather have fewer meaningless games.

Edited by vikingsrule

Saints backup quarterback Teddy Bridgewater will face his old team on Friday night when the Vikings visit New Orleans for their preseason opener, and Bridgewater’s old coach is looking forward to it. Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said he’s excited to see what Bridgewater is doing in New Orleans, three years after suffering a career-threatening injury in Vikings camp.

Zimmer:  “I am proud of him. For him to be able to come back from the type of injury that he had and still be playing in the NFL, our statistics when the injury happened, it was a pretty bleak outlook for him. That’s the kind of kid he is. I actually talked to Sean Payton today and he said he’s the same guy, no restrictions, doing well. And Teddy is a competitor. He’s going to try to stick it to us just like we’re going to try to stick it to him.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/07/mike-zimmer-proud-to-face-off-with-teddy-bridgewater-in-the-preseason/

• Like 1