Preseason, Week 1: VIKINGS (0-0) at Saints (0-0)

swede700

Preseason Impact  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which ex-Viking will make the biggest impact in the game?

• QB Teddy Bridgewater
    • C Nick Easton
    • FB Zach Line
    • DB Marcus Sherels
    • RB Latavius Murray

On 8/5/2019 at 7:14 AM, Virginia Viking said:

I hate preseason football!  Worst excuse for sporting event outside of the NFL Pro Bowl.

What?  I love it, get to see prospects I have watched for years in college play in the NFL.  I love preseason ball, the NFL has no summer league or minor league so this is the only way guys get better.  Hate it?  No thanks I love it and it is very key to NFL teams success, only way that will no longer be the case is if they can have their own minor league similar to the AAF but see how long that lasted.  

It is real game experience for guys that rarely get it especially in practice, it is extremely important for young guys and how they develop, not to mention just getting into game shape.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

What?  I love it, get to see prospects I have watched for years in college play in the NFL.  I love preseason ball, the NFL has no summer league or minor league so this is the only way guys get better.  Hate it?  No thanks I love it and it is very key to NFL teams success, only way that will no longer be the case is if they can have their own minor league similar to the AAF but see how long that lasted.  

It is real game experience for guys that rarely get it especially in practice, it is extremely important for young guys and how they develop, not to mention just getting into game shape.

To each his own.  The football quality is atrocious and the games don't count.  Therefore, I fine them worthless to this fan.

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

To each his own.  The football quality is atrocious and the games don't count.  Therefore, I fine them worthless to this fan.

The football quality isn't great, but I do like to watch certain aspects of play.  A lot of these guys we won't see in the regular season, so I do like to see their progress of development and if there is any potential there.  The final score is irrelevant, but I like to see young guys make plays.

• Like 1

If you go into it expecting Super Bowl quality performances, obviously you're going to go into it disappointed and will find it worthless as a fan.

Sometimes you gotta accept things for what they are. This isn't the Super Bowl. This isn't even the regular season. Obviously the on-field quality won't be the same.

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

If you go into it expecting Super Bowl quality performances, obviously you're going to go into it disappointed and will find it worthless as a fan.

Sometimes you gotta accept things for what they are. This isn't the Super Bowl. This isn't even the regular season. Obviously the on-field quality won't be the same.

But the pre-season game is something you only find in major professional sports leagues.  Everyone else practices, practices, practices until the games count.  I think preseason is just a way for owners to be able to make money while delivering a sub par product.

2 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

But the pre-season game is something you only find in major professional sports leagues.  Everyone else practices, practices, practices until the games count.  I think preseason is just a way for owners to be able to make money while delivering a sub par product.

Well sure, it's the pros. Everything's about making money.

26 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Warmup games are vital in football. You need to build your body into playing shape, which doesn’t happen in practice alone. If the NFL just went from the practice field to real games, not only would you have more injuries, but the quality of football would be just as bad, and it would count. Who wants that? There’s a reason boxers don’t go from the heavy bag to the main event. They spar before the big fight. 

The games may count, but when Alabama schedules games against the likes of Arkansas State, it’s nothing more than a preseason game.

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Warmup games are vital in football. You need to build your body into playing shape, which doesn’t happen in practice alone. If the NFL just went from the practice field to real games, not only would you have more injuries, but the quality of football would be just as bad, and it would count. Who wants that? There’s a reason boxers don’t go from the heavy bag to the main event. They spar before the big fight. 

The games may count, but when Alabama schedules games against the likes of Arkansas State, it’s nothing more than a preseason game.

You're making a good argument...but, I'm still not going to watch pre-season games.  It's about to be the best time of the year for baseball!!!

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

The first college football games are all sub-par products.  They should have a preseason game too.  The same is true for most college sports. They all use non-conference/I-AA teams basically as preseason games.  It's like when I watch those KU-Washburn (which is a D-II school) games.  They're abysmal games.

Edited by swede700

33 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The first college football games are all sub-par products.  They should have a preseason game too.  The same is true for most college sports. They all use non-conference/I-AA teams basically as preseason games.  It's like when I watch those KU-Washburn (which is a D-II school) games.  They're abysmal games.

But those games, as dreadful and lopsided as they might be, still count in the standings...and thus of interest for fans like me.

17 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

But those games, as dreadful and lopsided as they might be, still count in the standings...and thus of interest for fans like me.

I think that's the problem, crappy games that count can put a damper on the whole season.  Until the college football playoff came around, you could lose your first game of the season (not against a creampuff), and that basically ruins the entire season.  That's garbage to me.  Of course, I've never had to worry about that being a Gophers fan :D, but if I were a fan of an Ohio State, Georgia, or USC and happened to lose to a decent team in Game 1, I basically would be justified in not bothering watching another game the rest of the season, because it's pointless.

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I think that's the problem, crappy games that count can put a damper on the whole season.  Until the college football playoff came around, you could lose your first game of the season (not against a creampuff), and that basically ruins the entire season.  That's garbage to me.  Of course, I've never had to worry about that being a Gophers fan :D, but if I were a fan of an Ohio State, Georgia, or USC and happened to lose to a decent team in Game 1, I basically would be justified in not bothering watching another game the rest of the season, because it's pointless.

My alma mater hasn't played football since 1932.  I really don't have a dog in the college football fight.  I usually pull for Virginia Tech, because I know a lot of folks with a connection to the school, but otherwise, really not much connection with college football these days.  But, if Roanoke College ever brings back football...watch out!!!  :D

Edited by Guest