Preseason, Week 1: VIKINGS (0-0) at Saints (0-0)

swede700

Preseason Impact  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which ex-Viking will make the biggest impact in the game?

• QB Teddy Bridgewater
    • C Nick Easton
    • FB Zach Line
    • DB Marcus Sherels
    • RB Latavius Murray

29 minutes ago, swede700 said:

So, Roanoke College football disappeared just like the colony?  xD

It did!  Search parties...well, parties anyway...have been looking for clues ever since!!!!

I can understand not caring to watch preseason games, but I’m not sure how that fits with posting on a football message board in August. Either find something else to do until the season starts or take an interest. Preseason tells us way more about roster depth and development than scouting reports or draft report cards or training camp updates, all of which get posted and discussed here without a lot of posturing about them being irrelevant or boring.

For game one:

I hope the starting OL plays a series or two so we get a look at them blocking outside zone runs. If the Saints starters play, I’d like to see O’Neill face Cam Jordan and Bradbury face Sheldon Rankins in a pass blocking situation. Beyond that, I’ll pay a lot of attention to Udoh with the 2nd/3rd string.

It’ll be interesting to see if any of the depth WRs can produce in a game situation. Mitchell was an inconsistent practice performer who was super productive in games in college, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he comes up with a big play.

I want to see a lot of Mattison and Irv Smith. Both should get used heavily tonight.

DL play will be interesting. We should get a look at Holmes and Mata’afa as interior pass rushers. Odenigbo should play a lot at DE. 

I’m also curious to see which CBs play in what positions. I guess the 2nd team CBs will be Hill and Boyd outside, with Benwikere in the slot. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

I can understand not caring to watch preseason games, but I’m not sure how that fits with posting on a football message board in August. Either find something else to do until the season starts or take an interest. Preseason tells us way more about roster depth and development than scouting reports or draft report cards or training camp updates, all of which get posted and discussed here without a lot of posturing about them being irrelevant or boring.

I guess this has been aimed at me?  I didn't think that my comments were all that controversial.  I suppose I have a lot to learn yet.  I will not likely post in this particular string again.  I apologize since I caused some irritation in the group.  Honestly, that was not what I was looking to do.

2 hours ago, Krauser said:

For game one:

I hope the starting OL plays a series or two so we get a look at them blocking outside zone runs. If the Saints starters play, I’d like to see O’Neill face Cam Jordan and Bradbury face Sheldon Rankins in a pass blocking situation. Beyond that, I’ll pay a lot of attention to Udoh with the 2nd/3rd string.

It’ll be interesting to see if any of the depth WRs can produce in a game situation. Mitchell was an inconsistent practice performer who was super productive in games in college, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he comes up with a big play.

I want to see a lot of Mattison and Irv Smith. Both should get used heavily tonight.

DL play will be interesting. We should get a look at Holmes and Mata’afa as interior pass rushers. Odenigbo should play a lot at DE. 

I’m also curious to see which CBs play in what positions. I guess the 2nd team CBs will be Hill and Boyd outside, with Benwikere in the slot. 

It will be very interesting watching Mata'afa in pass rush situations, I am excited about that no doubt.  Could be a beast in passing downs from the DT spot but will see if he can do it in games, has been practicing well I have heard. Hopefully Odenigbo does well, he did great last preseason then they cut him, the Vikings will need some of these younger DL to develop and actually produce in real games.  Holmes I am not sold on him as a DT, even as a DE he was just ok at Ohio State but maybe he is improved.

In terms of Mitchell, he was only super productive his last year at Oregon with mind you one of the best QBs in college football.  If he played for a different team he might not have looked as good.  Is a decent athlete and can make some explosive plays down field with his speed and athletic ability, still not totally sold on him but if any rookie WR makes the team it would be him.

So Holton Hill can play preseason even with the suspension?  

Bradbury will be curious what he looks like, and honestly the Vikings better hope he jumps off the screen right away as a rookie.  This line needs him to be a super star I think for them to compete at the highest level.  Take the NFC alone the Saints, Eagles, Cowboys have amazing offensive lines, the Vikings that is the clear weakness coming into the season.  The talent level is not even comparable to the Vikings when looking at other top teams in the NFC on the OL.

8 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I guess this has been aimed at me?  I didn't think that my comments were all that controversial.  I suppose I have a lot to learn yet.  I will not likely post in this particular string again.  I apologize since I caused some irritation in the group.  Honestly, that was not what I was looking to do.

When talking to a lot of people who are 'draftniks' in many ways, yes your comments are controversial to those who dissect all and every roster move made not only on the Vikings but the NFL.  Yeah preseason is quite important.  

giphy.gif

33 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

So who should I be watching for tonight? I really haven't been following training camp at all this year.

I have not been at training camp at all this year but regardless this is what I will be watching out for just in terms of players.

Garrett Bradbury #56 - just how good is he right off the bat?

Kyle Sloter #1 - will be he able to win the #2 job and play well with a majority of the minutes I assume.

Laquon Treadwell #11 - does he have a pulse at all and can he dominate?  Honestly I cannot remember him even being dominating in any preseason game before which is sad.

Hercules Mata'afa #51 - what does he look like, never saw him last year and can he pull off a DT spot with the weight he has put on.

Adre Aruna #68 - huge body guy, could be a star but was injured all last year, excited to see him

Irv Smith Jr #84 - how good is he and how explosive in a two TE set, PS awful number choice by him I feel, no way he will live up to that one.

Jordan Taylor #18 - interesting player from the Broncos, big body and can he be the teams jump ball WR.

Jaleel Johnson #94 - can he continue to develop and become a solid DT which is what the team needs badly.

Chad Beebe #12 - not much question about him honestly but curious to see how he looks as a possible return man, should dominate if he is even in there in the 3rd and 4th.

Dru Samia #73 - excited to see what he is like, would love for him to take Kline's position shortly, was a good tough guard at Oklahoma who had some aggression to him.

Oli Udoh #74 - see how good he is, huge upside as a OT and they need it in terms of depth and talent on the OL overall.