Week 1: Saints (0-0) at VIKINGS (0-0)

swede700

Peterson’s return to Minnesota will be a dominant storyline this week, but defensive end Brian Robison said it isn’t one that he and other Vikings defenders are talking about.

Robison: “No, man. It’s not about Adrian. It’s about our team and the New Orleans Saints. That’s what it is about.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/04/brian-robison-opener-isnt-about-adrian-peterson/

Peterson can think whatever he wants but he is not ingratiating himself with the fans. The Vikings vastly overpaid Peterson for years and for that he wants to stick it to them. The team stuck with him through his trials and caved to his absurd demands afterwards. Peterson clearly saw how overpaid he was when he couldn't get anyone to sign him early in free agency. The guy sounds pretty ungrateful. That isn't a way to get the fans to wish him the best in his new home like they wish most players.

Time heals all wounds but for now, I'll laugh every time he fumbles away a game for the Saints. With luck, he'll come right out and fumble a game away this week. He usually starts seasons pretty slow. I don't know that he'll get the bulk of the touches for the Saints RBs this year but Payton may give it to him a few extra time against his former team is Peterson shows his motivation on the field.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Peterson can think whatever he wants but he is not ingratiating himself with the fans. The Vikings vastly overpaid Peterson for years and for that he wants to stick it to them. The team stuck with him through his trials and caved to his absurd demands afterwards. Peterson clearly saw how overpaid he was when he couldn't get anyone to sign him early in free agency. The guy sounds pretty ungrateful. That isn't a way to get the fans to wish him the best in his new home like they wish most players.

Time heals all wounds but for now, I'll laugh every time he fumbles away a game for the Saints. With luck, he'll come right out and fumble a game away this week. He usually starts seasons pretty slow. I don't know that he'll get the bulk of the touches for the Saints RBs this year but Payton may give it to him a few extra time against his former team is Peterson shows his motivation on the field.

A.P. looked bad in pre-season games.  He hasn't got that quick first step anymore, and is behind a weak run blocking line.  So, I see him getting caught behind the line again this season, like he was during all his post-injury time with the Vikes. 

I'm worried about the game, though. because The Vikings' OL has looked TERRIBLE, and Bradford will have very little time to throw.  Their defence hasn't looked very good, and I'm worried that The Saints' high-powered passing game will chew them up.  They may get tired early from Bradford not being able to move the ball.  The Vikes NEED to win this game, if they want to make the playoffs. 

5 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

The Vikes NEED to win this game, if they want to make the playoffs. 

Kind of early in the season for must win games, isn't it? It is always nice to win but I won't be putting down hopes in making the playoffs if they don't win. If the offensive line looks semi-competent there will be reason for optimism. If they can't look at least mediocre against NO it would be a bad sign but I will withhold final judgement on the line until they have had at least 3 games.  It takes a new group time to gel.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

I, for one, will chose to remember AP as one of the most exciting and productive players in Vikings history.  Were there some bad decisions along the way regarding his contracts, and being handicapped to improve the team?  Sure.  But, that's not the Vikings problem any longer, and I hope he's happy and well in New Orleans.

32 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Kind of early in the season for must win games, isn't it? It is always nice to win but I won't be putting down hopes in making the playoffs if they don't win. If the offensive line looks semi-competent there will be reason for optimism. If they can't look at least mediocre against NO it would be a bad sign but I will withhold final judgement on the line until they have had at least 3 games.  It takes a new group time to gel.

Yes, it's early, and the OL needs time to gel.  But, looking at the schedule, and then figuring out from where the 10 wins is going to come, I say that winning this game will make it a lot more possible, than losing it.  I don't see this team winning many "upsets".

Id love to see the Vikings come in and get a home win on opening weekend but i just dont see it. The way this defense looked in the preseason has me concerned, and Brees is still deadly. I think Adrian will have a good game, and the Saints will win somewhere around 34 - 20. 

To win this game i think our defense needs to play lights out, or were gonna have to score 30+ points.

Also, seems like MIN always struggles in primetime games that have hype. 

1 hour ago, Eric dunn said:

Id love to see the Vikings come in and get a home win on opening weekend but i just dont see it. The way this defense looked in the preseason has me concerned, and Brees is still deadly.

In a way, that could be a good thing. The last few years, we've had pretty good preseasons, so the team is feeling good about itself and hearing all the hype before laying an egg early (like the SF game everyone's mentioning). Well this year that hype has died down a bunch as Zimmer went plain vanilla bagel in preseason. He'll be on the players all week leading up to the game.

41 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Honestly, I think we should be more worried about Alvin Kamara than Adrian Peterson. His skill set could give any defense fits.

absolutely, but most likely we will end up seeing more Mark Ingram than anything.

They will be trying to wear on our defensive line and Ingram also will help out a lot more in protection. With our rangy linebackers it really does help keep these "speedy" type of runningbacks in check.

I think the Vikings might have a hard time winning this and I could see it coming down to a return TD of some sort. 

The offensive line could be a mess with pretty much 5 new starters. It'd be one thing if they had a little more individual skill.

I'm curious to see how the defense does. There will be some rookies getting a lot of playing time and a CB possibly playing the nickel CB spot that hasn't been here long and I don't think has played much inside CB

Archived