2020 Draft Thread

Forge

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Really curious to see if Burrow can make a run at Tua and #1 overall. How are you liking him so far @oldman9er

Been surprised and impressed. Burrow always looked like a guy being held back by his coaching staff... and seems that was the case.

The new Pass Game Coordinator Joe Brady, has made a big difference to their attack. Brady got to sit and learn in New Orleans the last couple of years.. so he's bringing much of this to Burrow and LSU. 

Yeah, Burrow can do it all. Should be a high draft pick, and watching the offense is finally not painful in recent times. 

edit: wanted to add, pro coaches/draft departments will EAT UP that he is the son of a former player turned coach, that went on to coach for decades. 

Edited by oldman9er
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Even as well as Moseley has done as our 3rd CB? I don't know...

Sherman is under contract for one more year, and he's getting to an age where big money extensions are less than optimal. Spoon is a free agent after next year. I doubt both are back. Moseley I'm looking at as potential replacement for one of them moving forward, but that means we need a third CB. 

Also, Ward is a free agent, unsure if we bring him back or not. Moore could take that step, of course. Tartt is a free agent after next year. 

I'm trying to get ahead of this, because not all of these guys are coming back. 

There are some really nice middle round interior prospects in this draft, I'm fine with addressing that in rounds 3/4, particularly given the type of offensive linemen that we will be looking at. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Sherman is under contract for one more year, and he's getting to an age where big money extensions are less than optimal. Spoon is a free agent after next year. I doubt both are back. Moseley I'm looking at as potential replacement for one of them moving forward, but that means we need a third CB. 

Also, Ward is a free agent, unsure if we bring him back or not. Moore could take that step, of course. Tartt is a free agent after next year. 

I'm trying to get ahead of this, because not all of these guys are coming back. 

There are some really nice middle round interior prospects in this draft, I'm fine with addressing that in rounds 3/4, particularly given the type of offensive linemen that we will be looking at. 

Yup. You really have to address the secondary every draft imo. One, because its hard to keep units together if everyone pans out. And two, because injuries are so rampant in that group in particular around the league, you can NEVER have enough depth. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Yup. You really have to address the secondary every draft imo. One, because its hard to keep units together if everyone pans out. And two, because injuries are so rampant in that group in particular around the league, you can NEVER have enough depth. 

Plus, I won't lie...I love the cornerback class this year, and I think that there are going to be some really good ones available at the back end of the first / early second (if we were to trade down some) that present excellent value to talent 

• Like 1

Yeah, secondary and OL are still pretty much 1a and 1b for me, but with Goodwin and Bourne  possibly being in the way out, and The rest of our receivers showing an injury history, wouldn’t be surprised if we see another receiver in the 4th or 5th round. Maybe even third if the value is right.

FS and tackle are still my number 1 needs though. 

• Like 1

FYI, CB Bryce Hall is done for the year as he sustained a gruesome ankle injury last Friday night against Miami. It will definitely drop his draft stock, as there is no timetable on his return as of yet. He had surgery yesterday so that would give him roughly 5 months before the Combine to be ready. I could see him falling to the 3rd or 4th round if he isn't ready by his Pro Day. This isa pretty stacked CB class so that could factor into his slide. That being said, I think he'd be awesome in our scheme and if he were to drop to 3rd, we should definitely pounce. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

FYI, CB Bryce Hall is done for the year as he sustained a gruesome ankle injury last Friday night against Miami. It will definitely drop his draft stock, as there is no timetable on his return as of yet. He had surgery yesterday so that would give him roughly 5 months before the Combine to be ready. I could see him falling to the 3rd or 4th round if he isn't ready by his Pro Day. This isa pretty stacked CB class so that could factor into his slide. That being said, I think he'd be awesome in our scheme and if he were to drop to 3rd, we should definitely pounce. 

Damn. Shame to hear that for him. I had been hoping he might be a guy to drop to us and would love to get him if he does drop. Plus, with Sherman, Witherspoon, and Moseley ahead of him on the outside, he would not need to be rushed back in any way. 

Not that draft rehab projects have worked especially well for us. But still. 

• Like 2

Would like to fortify the depth at DL, CB, and TE with expected free-agent losses (expect us to lose Armstead/Blair/Day, won't be able to afford Sherman after his 3 year contract is done,  could use more threats at TE after Kittle).

Also wouldn't mind getting some OL depth.

FS with Ward likely leaving (unless Moore is the guy).

WR because we lack an outside threat unless Samuel/Pettis keep developing or Hurd shows big.

And wouldn't mind getting a K in UDFA to compete with Gould if he keeps missing FG's.

18 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Would like to fortify the depth at DL, CB, and TE with expected free-agent losses (expect us to lose Armstead/Blair/Day, won't be able to afford Sherman after his 3 year contract is done,  could use more threats at TE after Kittle).

Also wouldn't mind getting some OL depth.

FS with Ward likely leaving (unless Moore is the guy).

WR because we lack an outside threat unless Samuel/Pettis keep developing or Hurd shows big.

And wouldn't mind getting a K in UDFA to compete with Gould if he keeps missing FG's.

This is a pretty good list, but I would move DL down a few pegs. And would replace it with OL.

We're obviously a long way away from knowing things, but if Thomas keeps playing at the level he has been at these last few weeks, he would certainly help us replace Armstead. And with guys like Julian Taylor, Kentavius Street, and Givens on the PS waiting in the wings, I'd feel really good about that unit and depth just there. I mean, if there's a guy we love, then sure - take him. But otherwise, I don't think that will be a need. 

OL is the much larger concern in my eye. Even though Skule and Brunskill have performed admirably, it's pretty clear that the offense can't run exactly as we want it to in order to compensate for their rawness. Plus, as we are seeing, depth is so vital there. And Staley/Person need longterm replacements as well.

From there, I like the rest of your list.

• Like 2

Yeah, I think we’re all pleasantly surprised and Skule and Brunskill, and honestly both are probably close to locking up jobs as long term utility depth in the NfL. But quality, long term, elite tackle (or even IOL) play is not something I expect from them. I think they’re both basically mike person in that they’re  A+ depth, but average-ish at best starters. Brunskill is intriguing but I think shanny places a ton of emphasis on tackle play and given how traumatic tbe injuries have been there, for multiple years, I really think they take a shot at a tackle with one of our first picks. 

Edited by John232
  • Like 2