2020 Draft Thread

Forge

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm thinking we could run with Solomon Thomas, re-sign Day, and get Julian Taylor back late in the season. Maybe draft a 3-tech in the middle rounds or sign a FA too. Run with that this season and see if Thomas is actually worth his cap hit. If not, he's off the roster next offseason and could invest more heavily in the position. 

They could try this but I don't think it's going to work out well. Solly struggles against the run inside because he's undersized and Day is average at best.

40 minutes ago, Swift21 said:

Our run defense was middle of the pack with Buck. Put in Solly in his place and it will get worse. That can't be the replacement.

The run defense getting worse is my concern.  It's going to be much easier to get to the second level and get a hat on Warner without Buckner.

Haven’t posted since the super bowl. In fact hadn’t looked at ESPN, this site, Twitter, etc until this weekend since the last second went off the clock. 

I’m predicting Ford and a pick will be packaged for Joey Bosa. Joey will play for a discount to be with his brother. If we gave up Ford and say 31 for Joey, would you guys think we upgraded by moving from 31 to 13 and adding Joey while losing Buckner and Ford?

1 minute ago, straighthate said:

Haven’t posted since the super bowl. In fact hadn’t looked at ESPN, this site, Twitter, etc until this weekend since the last second went off the clock. 

I’m predicting Ford and a pick will be packaged for Joey Bosa. Joey will play for a discount to be with his brother. If we gave up Ford and say 31 for Joey, would you guys think we upgraded by moving from 31 to 13 and adding Joey while losing Buckner and Ford?

Absolutely. 

2 minutes ago, straighthate said:

And now I just see you posted the same thing in another thread. Ha. 

The way I look at it is Bosa is the same level of player as Buckner at a more 'important' position. Ford is good at getting after the passer but is no where as good against the run as Bosa. I think we could easily draft a player at 13 who is more impactful than Ford while taking into account his injury issues and the fact he hasn't been an every down player for us. We also trade two big contracts with Buck and Ford for one with Bosa, who unfortunately would need to be paid big as well; probably every bit of what Buckner got. But if you take the money for Bosa + #13 and compare it with what Buckner and Ford are scheduled to make we are still coming out on top. 

Disclaimer: I don't expect this to happen, and if it does I wouldn't expect it to happen this year. 

22 minutes ago, Hopper15 said:

The run defense getting worse is my concern.  It's going to be much easier to get to the second level and get a hat on Warner without Buckner.

I liked Buck more than AA, but we should be just as strong against the run with AA and DJJ inside. 

The D will be fine, so long as we make sure we have solid depth. 

We just have to use this "gained resource" well in other areas.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I liked Buck more than AA, but we should be just as strong against the run with AA and DJJ inside. 

The D will be fine, so long as we make sure we have solid depth. 

We just have to use this "gained resource" well in other areas.

I'd like to believe that but I don't plus those two aren't as durable as Buckner.

5 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

The way I look at it is Bosa is the same level of player as Buckner at a more 'important' position. Ford is good at getting after the passer but is no where as good against the run as Bosa. I think we could easily draft a player at 13 who is more impactful than Ford while taking into account his injury issues and the fact he hasn't been an every down player for us. We also trade two big contracts with Buck and Ford for one with Bosa, who unfortunately would need to be paid big as well; probably every bit of what Buckner got. But if you take the money for Bosa + #13 and compare it with what Buckner and Ford are scheduled to make we are still coming out on top. 

Disclaimer: I don't expect this to happen, and if it does I wouldn't expect it to happen this year. 

I live in San Diego so lots of Charger fans and they were saying all year that Bosa has said he is definitely going to try to go to the Niners to play with his brother. I don’t know quotes, but they were saying it all year. Only problem is Chargers are always stubborn, and I can see them holding on to Bosa just to prove a point rather than get something for him. 

I think both brothers on the end with Armstead and a combo of others in the middle would be an amazing line. Probably better than last year, especially like you said with Fords injury issues. Now, is there any rule if someone’s brother happens to communicate with our staff about what kind of long term deal his brother would love to sign?

Like I said before, have been sworn off football since the super bowl until now, so I have no idea who will be around when we’re drafting. But even trading back for a couple first rounders/early seconds and getting a corner and interior line help, I think this team is better than last year. 

2 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I live in San Diego so lots of Charger fans and they were saying all year that Bosa has said he is definitely going to try to go to the Niners to play with his brother. I don’t know quotes, but they were saying it all year. Only problem is Chargers are always stubborn, and I can see them holding on to Bosa just to prove a point rather than get something for him. 

I think both brothers on the end with Armstead and a combo of others in the middle would be an amazing line. Probably better than last year, especially like you said with Fords injury issues. Now, is there any rule if someone’s brother happens to communicate with our staff about what kind of long term deal his brother would love to sign?

Like I said before, have been sworn off football since the super bowl until now, so I have no idea who will be around when we’re drafting. But even trading back for a couple first rounders/early seconds and getting a corner and interior line help, I think this team is better than last year. 

I think that'd be pretty hard to prove. If only BoB was their GM we could probably get Joey for a bag of peanuts and make this dream come true. 

25 minutes ago, Hopper15 said:

I'd like to believe that but I don't plus those two aren't as durable as Buckner.

True. That's why I think we'll add another vet DT in free agency to go along with the depth we already have in Julian Taylor, Street, and Thomas. That's still a pretty good rotation even with the loss of DeFo. I think we need to add another NT as well. We can't go another year with just DJ Jones in that role. Should be able to grab a youngin in the draft and develop him. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

True. That's why I think we'll add another vet DT in free agency to go along with the depth we already have in Julian Taylor, Street, and Thomas. That's still a pretty good rotation even with the loss of DeFo. I think we need to add another NT as well. We can't go another year with just DJ Jones in that role. Should be able to grab a youngin in the draft and develop him. 

I also think DJ showed he can shoot a gap as well as anyone so he can be out NT and 3T, i know he’s not a hard scheme fit but I would love to get linval Joseph too.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, John232 said:

I also think DJ showed he can shoot a gap as well as anyone so he can be out NT and 3T, i know he’s not a hard scheme fit but I would love to get linval Joseph too.

I would definitely take a flier on Joseph for the right price. He could definitely help us slowing down the run and would be a nice rotational guy with Jones@NT.

Getting really excited at the possibility of drafting one of the top 4 WRs (Mims Inc), Henderson/Fulton or one of the top tackles. Need a day one contributor and I think we can definitely find one at that slot. The popular picks will be one of the WRs, and understandably, but Henderson at corner would be just as good. And you know how bad I want to improve the interior OL so if one of the tackles can kick inside for the time being? Would definitely be ideal! 

#31 pick just seems like a for sure trade down at this point. I hope that isn't the case without looking at the board but if we can get multiple day two picks? Wouldn't mind that. 

To maintain this run we're going to go on, need to hit on these draft picks. Last year's draft was phenomenal, but need to continue it. 

• Like 3

On 3/17/2020 at 11:11 AM, SFrush said:

They could try this but I don't think it's going to work out well. Solly struggles against the run inside because he's undersized and Day is average at best.

Yeah I would hope that we aren't going into this season thinking we can just rotate Solly, Jones, Taylor and Day.