Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Forge

2020 Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

With the NFL getting started up, that means it's time for college football as well, and as so many of us love the draft, we need to get this thread started as well. 

Currently, we are missing our second round pick from the Dee Ford trade. 

  • Round 1
  • Round 3
  • Round 4 
  • Round 5 
  • Round 6 
  • Round 7 
  • Round 7 (Lions pick from the Eli Harold trade? Unsure. I think it was conditional, so I don't know if those conditions were met?)

So far as I Know, we are not scheduled to receive any compensatory picks. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great. It's never too early to look ahead. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 

Former Florida State quarterback Deondre Francois has found his new team.

Francois, a graduate transfer, has transferred to Hampton and will play his final two seasons of eligibility with the FCS school in 2019. He was on the practice field with the team on Friday, the first day of Hampton’s fall practice.

 

Remember when he was thought of as a future first round pick? Crazy change in situation for him. And I can't believe that he still has 2 years of eligibility remaining as a graduate transfer. Feels like he has been around forever already as it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looking at some of the draft sites and  based off what I know about some of the top 2020 draft class I'd say WR, OL, DL/Edge and CB look strong. Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sherm said:

Great. It's never too early to look ahead. 

Especially given that I think that we can reasonably assume a couple of positions that we will be looking to target in this draft. Corner and Safety would have to be the odds on favorite to be the first round pick this year, if you ask me. Sherman is getting older, and Verrett, as much as I love him, is on a single year deal, and as I said on the podcast with @y2lamanaki (new episode hopefully week, check your online listings), I think that the marriage with Verrett can only be for a year. 

Ward is a free agent after the year and has already gotten hurt once this season. Tartt hasn't  finished a season in 3 years and he saves 5 million against the cap next year if cut because he struggles with health / play quality again this year. We have no idea what is there with the younger guys. So I think that this would certainly be my most likely position in round 1 right now, and it's a great draft to have that needs. A lot of promising corners and safeties at the top of the draft, including Stefon's little brother Trayvon Diggs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sherm said:

Just looking at some of the draft sites and  based off what I know about some of the top 2020 draft class I'd say WR, OL, DL/Edge and CB look strong. Any thoughts?

Cornerback / Safety i just gave my thoughts on - I think that this is a good class for them at the top. 

For WR, I love me some Jeudy. He's such a beast. Hopefully, we aren't picking high enough to select him though. After that, it's a little more muddled. I have high hopes for the two premier defensive linemen from the big 10 - Chase Young is very impressive from OSU, as is AJ Epenesa from Iowa. Epenesa really handled Max Scharping last year when they played. Scharping ended up being a second round pick and was a guy who completely shut down Brian Burns when they played. I'm expecting big things from Epenesa. 

The interior line is probably where I'd look right now with regards to the 49ers, and that's sort of meh at the top. I suppose if we make a nice playoff run there is maybe a lineman or two that I could see us taking, but I think that is something we would like target in the middle rounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Forge said:

Cornerback / Safety i just gave my thoughts on - I think that this is a good class for them at the top. 

For WR, I love me some Jeudy. He's such a beast. Hopefully, we aren't picking high enough to select him though. After that, it's a little more muddled. I have high hopes for the two premier defensive linemen from the big 10 - Chase Young is very impressive from OSU, as is AJ Epenesa from Iowa. Epenesa really handled Max Scharping last year when they played. Scharping ended up being a second round pick and was a guy who completely shut down Brian Burns when they played. I'm expecting big things from Epenesa. 

The interior line is probably where I'd look right now with regards to the 49ers, and that's sort of meh at the top. I suppose if we make a nice playoff run there is maybe a lineman or two that I could see us taking, but I think that is something we would like target in the middle rounds. 

As a B1G guy myself...Go Blue! Don't forget Joe Gaziano, DL, Northwestern. Dude can flat out ball. I don't remember what gm I was watching but I kept wondering why I hadn't heard about this guy who was making all these plays. The other 2 have top potential but it wouldn't shock me to see Gaziano as the best DL from the conf. Also Kenny Willekes gonna makes some plays if healthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Forge said:

Especially given that I think that we can reasonably assume a couple of positions that we will be looking to target in this draft. Corner and Safety would have to be the odds on favorite to be the first round pick this year, if you ask me. Sherman is getting older, and Verrett, as much as I love him, is on a single year deal, and as I said on the podcast with @y2lamanaki (new episode hopefully week, check your online listings), I think that the marriage with Verrett can only be for a year. 

Ward is a free agent after the year and has already gotten hurt once this season. Tartt hasn't  finished a season in 3 years and he saves 5 million against the cap next year if cut because he struggles with health / play quality again this year. We have no idea what is there with the younger guys. So I think that this would certainly be my most likely position in round 1 right now, and it's a great draft to have that needs. A lot of promising corners and safeties at the top of the draft, including Stefon's little brother Trayvon Diggs. 

Well for the past few yrs I've screamed about S...lol so hopefully they finally hear me in 2020. Drafting Grant Delpit will make me forgive them for passing on Derwin James. As for CB the young guys will let us know how high CB is in terms of need. If Spoon and Moore can step up that would really give us a nice pair to build off of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, sherm said:

Well for the past few yrs I've screamed about S...lol so hopefully they finally hear me in 2020. Drafting Grant Delpit will make me forgive them for passing on Derwin James. As for CB the young guys will let us know how high CB is in terms of need. If Spoon and Moore can step up that would really give us a nice pair to build off of. 

Hopefully we are nowhere near the range for Delpit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who can we get at the bottom of the first?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sherm said:

Well for the past few yrs I've screamed about S...lol so hopefully they finally hear me in 2020. Drafting Grant Delpit will make me forgive them for passing on Derwin James. As for CB the young guys will let us know how high CB is in terms of need. If Spoon and Moore can step up that would really give us a nice pair to build off of. 

I doubt (well I hope) we'll be drafting high enough to draft Delpit. Same for CB Bryce Hall though he may not be a uber athlete, which could drop him for some. And since Moore is officially a FS now, I think CB will be priority #1 on draft day. Verrett is on a one year deal and Sherman is getting up there. Only young guys we have to groom for the future is Spoon, Reed, and Harris. And one of those is a 6th round rookie.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Hopefully we are nowhere near the range for Delpit. 

Hey we're a long way from knowing where any of these guys will go. It's a long season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I doubt (well I hope) we'll be drafting high enough to draft Delpit. Same for CB Bryce Hall though he may not be a uber athlete, which could drop him for some. And since Moore is officially a FS now, I think CB will be priority #1 on draft day. Verrett is on a one year deal and Sherman is getting up there. Only young guys we have to groom for the future is Spoon, Reed, and Harris. And one of those is a 6th round rookie.  

I haven't been paying close attention to 49ers depth chart lately...just saw the write ups on Moore at FS. Still too early to claim his move permanent though. Also it seems Ward is ahead of him once healthy...so there is still a ton to figure out in the secondary. Both CB and S will be major needs. I have S a bit higher for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sherm said:

I haven't been paying close attention to 49ers depth chart lately...just saw the write ups on Moore at FS. Still too early to claim his move permanent though. Also it seems Ward is ahead of him once healthy...so there is still a ton to figure out in the secondary. Both CB and S will be major needs. I have S a bit higher for now. 

Moore move definitely seems to be permanent. Whether he amounts to anything is a far way off in determining. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sherm said:

I haven't been paying close attention to 49ers depth chart lately...just saw the write ups on Moore at FS. Still too early to claim his move permanent though. Also it seems Ward is ahead of him once healthy...so there is still a ton to figure out in the secondary. Both CB and S will be major needs. I have S a bit higher for now. 

All indications from beat writers are that the move is permanent. It's his natural position and Moore has admitted he is much more comfortable there. Apparently the move to CB in the first place was because of Coach Hafley and he has been replaced. Reed is also no longer at FS and is playing outside and nickel corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×