2020 Draft Thread

Forge

12 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Honestly, being in the playoffs made me forget there were such things as the Shrine Bowl and Senior Bowl.

Being playoff bound and not having many picks I've not paid attention to the draft yet. Outside of the top guys. 

Edited by 49erurtaza

Just now, PapaShogun said:

PFF has the 49ers taking a safety in their latest mock. Xavier McKinney. 

It matches availability and need pretty reasonably. He can do the Jimmie Ward stuff on the cheap, except maybe worse as a single high FS. Minkah light.

6 hours ago, Forge said:

Picking 31 / 32. 

Is trading down from 31/32 a few spots for a 4th round pick worth giving up the fifth year option on the pick at 31/32?

I think it will depend on how much another team wants that 5th yr option for that pick. Honestly unless a player we had ranked top 15 falls to us...we need to trade back for an extra pick or 2.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Picking 31 / 32. 

Is trading down from 31/32 a few spots for a 4th round pick worth giving up the fifth year option on the pick at 31/32?

I think you're a bit bearish on the value of the pick. Just last draft, these two trades happened that would be very similar to our situation this year:

Giants trade for the 30th pick and give up a 2nd, 4th, and 5th for it.

Falcons trade for the 31st pick and a 6th and give up a 2nd and a 3rd. 

This trade happened in 2018:

Ravens get the 32nd pick and a 4th and give up 2nd, 4th, and 2019 2nd.

5 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I think you're a bit bearish on the value of the pick. Just last draft, these two trades happened that would be very similar to our situation this year:

After Dre Greenlaw and George Kittle, all I want is fifth round picks.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Not really. Depends on how high up the other team is jumping. That Falcons team was moving from 45 back into the first round. Dropping from the first round to 45 is a decent size chunk. It's half a round. I'm thinking more of a smaller trade of just a few spots in the OP. The Ravens situation was the same. They nearly jumped a full round as they moved up from the back end of the second round (#52) into the end of the first round. That's a huge jump. 

The Giants trade was a 4 & 5, which is good value for moving up / down for just a few spots, though we made a similar move for Foster and it only cost us a 4th (our 4th was 20 picks higher than the Giants 4th that they gave up, which accounts for that). Cleveland trade up for Njoku from 33 to 28 and gave up the same 4th round pick. But even assuming a crappy 4th & 5th, do I want to give up the option year? This is the trade most similar to the one I was thinking, and I'm just not sure whether I would give it up or not. 

I'm not sure I have much interest in moving down that far. You basically have no first round pick or second round pick at that point because that second round pick is so far back. The Ravens offer would be interesting for a minute. Future picks like that are always intriguing. 

I want to get edge help early in the draft. With Ford being banged up this drive and having past injury concerns and with Bosa's injury concerns, we need some depth. Even if we bring Blair back, no guarantee he is back to form or even plays to start the season. If Bosa is down for a few weeks, we will be in deep trouble.

Obviously still prefer the BPA route, but looking for some edge rushers that will be available late in the first or second round. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I want to get edge help early in the draft. With Ford being banged up this drive and having past injury concerns and with Bosa's injury concerns, we need some depth. Even if we bring Blair back, no guarantee he is back to form or even plays to start the season. If Bosa is down for a few weeks, we will be in deep trouble.

Obviously still prefer the BPA route, but looking for some edge rushers that will be available late in the first or second round. 

If we re-sign Armstead, Blair, and Moore, I'm going to say no to EDGE this year. If Armstead walks, I would be more inclined to drafting an EDGE. 

I really do think we bring all three back, which makes our EDGE depth look like this:

Bosa

Ford

Armstead

Blair

Moore

Thomas 

Street

With Buck, Jones, Taylor, and maybe Day, our DL depth as a whole is 10-11 guys. I'm not sure the roster could, or even should, support a 12th man on the DL. 

9 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

If we re-sign Armstead, Blair, and Moore, I'm going to say no to EDGE this year. If Armstead walks, I would be more inclined to drafting an EDGE. 

I really do think we bring all three back, which makes our EDGE depth look like this:

Bosa

Ford

Armstead

Blair

Moore

Thomas 

Street

With Buck, Jones, Taylor, and maybe Day, our DL depth as a whole is 10-11 guys. I'm not sure the roster could, or even should, support a 12th man on the DL. 

It's tricky because it's so early in the process. 

Street, for me personally? He can be cut. I see no major long term appeal there, and of course Thomas is just a massive bust, won't have his fifth year option picked up, and will be on the last year of his deal. He'd be a good trade candidate for a later pick, though both of those guys are better suited on the interior. Day would surprise me a little if he were back. Just not enough playing time for him there.

Blair we don't have information on. I do think that we will bring him back, but I don't know what his health is at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if he misses all of next season or just half of a season. Moore is sort of meh. We will see there. He didn't show enough to prohibit me from targeting the position in the draft, but I would like to see him brought back next season to compete for a spot.  

Then what happens with other positions also comes into play. Does Manny re-sign, or no? What about Ward? If either / both leave, we could certainly use a high pick at receiver or safety. I personally don't think that there's anyone at this area (end of the first) on the interior offensive line to make the pick worth it, but that could be another area we look at .

We do have the potential for being able to draft for the future as opposed to immediate vacancy, however, depending on what happens with some of the free agents. And if that is something we are able to do, I can definitely see the appeal to drafting an edge guy. As much as it sucks, given his health / cap hit, we probably need to start looking at a future without Ford sooner rather than later. 

47 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Why are we still going with this Bosa injury narrative? Dude played every gm this yr...which should be 19 gms after the SB.

• Like 2