2020 Draft Thread

Forge

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's tricky because it's so early in the process. 

Street, for me personally? He can be cut. I see no major long term appeal there, and of course Thomas is just a massive bust, won't have his fifth year option picked up, and will be on the last year of his deal. He'd be a good trade candidate for a later pick, though both of those guys are better suited on the interior. Day would surprise me a little if he were back. Just not enough playing time for him there.

Blair we don't have information on. I do think that we will bring him back, but I don't know what his health is at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if he misses all of next season or just half of a season. Moore is sort of meh. We will see there. He didn't show enough to prohibit me from targeting the position in the draft, but I would like to see him brought back next season to compete for a spot.  

Then what happens with other positions also comes into play. Does Manny re-sign, or no? What about Ward? If either / both leave, we could certainly use a high pick at receiver or safety. I personally don't think that there's anyone at this area (end of the first) on the interior offensive line to make the pick worth it, but that could be another area we look at .

We do have the potential for being able to draft for the future as opposed to immediate vacancy, however, depending on what happens with some of the free agents. And if that is something we are able to do, I can definitely see the appeal to drafting an edge guy. As much as it sucks, given his health / cap hit, we probably need to start looking at a future without Ford sooner rather than later. 

I agree that it's very early in the process and hard to get a good read on possible outcomes, but I will say that I disagree on Moore. Every time he's been on the field for us, he makes a positive impact on the game. He's precisely the kind of guy you want as depth.

The early buzz on the EDGE class is that it's very top-heavy and weak in depth. With our Super Bowl window open right now, I'd rather sign Moore to cheap contract than draft someone in the 5th or 6th round and hope they can be valuable. 

Me not wanting an EDGE in the draft completely hinges on what happens with Armstead. If he walks and Blair decides he wants to leave and go to a team that will treat him more like a starter, then yes, an EDGE becomes a target in this draft.

13 minutes ago, sherm said:

Why are we still going with this Bosa injury narrative? Dude played every gm this yr...which should be 19 gms after the SB.

Okay? He was also banged up all training camp and missed a big part of his senior season. It would be foolish to just think he is over all the injury concerns because of playing all the games his rookie season. And besides, Ford WAS hurt all season long. Having another pass rusher in case one of them gets hurt is not a bad thing at all, especially if Armstead is just tagged and isn't signed long term. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

It's tricky because it's so early in the process. 

exactly this.. we can spit out potential needs and priorities, but we need to see what happens leading up to the Draft to really nail it down better.. and even then, they may take BPA value over positional need. 

54 minutes ago, sherm said:

Why are we still going with this Bosa injury narrative? Dude played every gm this yr...which should be 19 gms after the SB.

and like J suggests with the others like Ford and Moore/Blair... it's not just about the durability of Bosa. 

Another reason I look at EDGE is for contract reasons looking ahead. Could be that after the 2020 season, we are eager to get out of that monstrous Ford contract, and can more easily do so then. Maybe he's back on the bench more than we can accept, or just declining. Either way, at some point, you have to start finding cheaper and younger somewhere on the roster. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Okay? He was also banged up all training camp and missed a big part of his senior season. It would be foolish to just think he is over all the injury concerns because of playing all the games his rookie season. And besides, Ford WAS hurt all season long. Having another pass rusher in case one of them gets hurt is not a bad thing at all, especially if Armstead is just tagged and isn't signed long term. 

I think he also had a significant injury in High School as well. I feel like I've seen something on that during the draft process. I could be thinking of someone else, though.

8 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I think he also had a significant injury in High School as well. I feel like I've seen something on that during the draft process. I could be thinking of someone else, though.

He did. He tore his ACL I believe his senior year of HS. 

40 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

He did. He tore his ACL I believe his senior year of HS. 

There you go. I mean I would LOVE to think Bosa is going to be healthy rest of the day, but that's dangerous game we are playing with no legitimate 3rd DE with the injury concerns of both starting ends. If Blair was healthy and on form? Then no worries at all....But not sure you can count on that next season. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Don't disagree about adding more DL help...just not the reason. Don't worry about Bosa getting injured anymore than any other player. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sherm said:

Don't disagree about adding more DL help...just not the reason. Don't worry about Bosa getting injured anymore than any other player. 

Fair enough, just don't want to get into a situation where both our ends are out for a long stretch and our defense completely falls apart. Also going to depend on how we approach Armstead's situation. 

Ford is far more concern for our future than Bosa is and it's not close. I don't see anyway we go into next season without making sure we take care of our DL depth. Way too early to try to figure who's coming back and who's not.

• Like 1

I think Blair will come back on an injury discount, short term deal. But I wouldn't be opposed to trading back and spending one of those picks on a DE. I brought it up eariler, I think we're only going to keep Ford around for another two years before we can get out of his contract. I think between Bosa having a bit of a history, Blair being injured, Armstead having a history and obviously Ford..we need to really pay attention to it. I still think Taylor may end up being a core rotational piece, but he's a tweener in the vein of Armstead and Blair. Need a hard edge more. 

• LSU LB K'Lavon Chaisson declared for the 2020 NFL Draft.

The Tigers had best savor their title, as the team will need to replace a number of pieces -- both on staff and on roster -- if they are to put up a legitimate defense come the fall. Chaisson (6'4/225) is the latest to say so long. Chaisson turned in 60 tackles (13.5 for loss), 6.5 sacks and two passes defended across 13 games played for the past campaign. With a strong evaluation season, we could see Chaisson coming off the board on Day 1 this spring. Bleacher Report's Matt Miller ranks Chaisson as his No. 31 draft-eligible prospect in the prospective 2020 class.

Jan 17, 2020, 11:05 AM ET

• Just saw this. Seemed perhaps relevant. He will probably have a great Combine. Will he be worth a late first rd pick? Banking on a lot of potential, but the talent is there. It would help allow for us to cut loose from Dee Ford's contract after 2020, though I'm not pounding the table for it or for Chaisson. Just sayin'...

Here are some Senior Bowl measurements, at least until better ones may present themselves....

DELETED

Malware thing popped up for me, so screw that link nope.

This one looks to be fine and better than the other anyway

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2020-senior-bowl-weigh-in-measurements/

Edited by oldman9er