2020 Draft Thread

Forge

Finally took a look at the draft order. Latest I've ever done that I think. 

Which team in the top 5/6 do you guys think will trade with us to come back into the first round? 

Bengals never trade up 

Ballard (Indy) tends to trade down not up (they have redskins 2nd from last year's trade down) they have the picks to move up but that doesn't seem like something they would do in this spot. More likely to do it for a QB in round 1 I think 

Detroit has a ton of holes everywhere. Seems like their whole organization is on the hot seat so maybe we can squeeze a future first out of them (even though my goal is multiple picks this draft, can't argue with a future first from a bad team. 

Giants could potentially trade up but gettleman might not want to do a deal with us

The next teams in order are the chargers, carolina, Miami Arizona, Cleveland, Chicago, Indy, tampa, Denver, Atlanta (pick #47). Would take a lot for me to move down from 31 to 47 but I am hoping to restock so I would definitely do it for the right deal 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

31st is the absolute worst pick to have. :$

If we cannot trade down, then we should go IOL (perhaps C) or Edge or TE/WR if there are any truly dynamic ones on the board worth the pick. Maybe DB....maybe.

I doubt we go IOL. We aren't going to replace Richburg with a first round pick. Shanahan doesn't value guards that much in his scheme. Really depends on how we feel with Moore and Mosley on if we draft a DB. I'd hate to say it but DL makes sense and so does WR in the first round. Trade back is a option but 2 things getting another team to move up and how far are we dropping. Tbh this could be a surprise pick like when we drafted McG we expect to draft a weekness but end up drafting a strength. 

• Like 1

So lets have some fun. All this talk about trading down.....

Is there anyone that you would be willing to move way up for? Say give up #31 and next years first for if they started to fall a little ? What if Okudah has a Lattimore esque fall. What about if Jerry Jeudy is sitting there at 11/12? 

Personally, I don't love the back half of the top 15, so I'm thinking that it's a no for me, but I will admit that there would be some appeal in Jeudy if Manny didn't re-sign, but I don't think I'd be interested enough for that. 

I remember a very spirited debate on the old board several years ago about this with Mike Evans. 

If we're doing this for fun...then I want Grant Delpit. I love me some Lamb but with what we got from Deebo his rookie season plus poss  Sanders coming back(or another vet) and this deep wr class I'm good on trading up for a wr. Also like the CB depth in this class. Maybe not special like the wr class but there is talent to be had. So that leaves S for me as the trade up position. 

Love what Ward and Tartt did this yr and glad both got a chance to stay healthy and shine. But I wouldn't hesitate to add Delpit over Ward moving forward. 

2 minutes ago, sherm said:

If we're doing this for fun...then I want Grant Delpit. I love me some Lamb but with what we got from Deebo his rookie season plus poss  Sanders coming back(or another vet) and this deep wr class I'm good on trading up for a wr. Also like the CB depth in this class. Maybe not special like the wr class but there is talent to be had. So that leaves S for me as the trade up position. 

Love what Ward and Tartt did this yr and glad both got a chance to stay healthy and shine. But I wouldn't hesitate to add Delpit over Ward moving forward. 

I feel like delpit is going to fall a little further than he should. It wasn't a great year but I really just think it was an off season for him. He's got some warts in his game, but I think they can be ironed out. I'm hoping he's there at 31

3 hours ago, Forge said:

So lets have some fun. All this talk about trading down.....

Is there anyone that you would be willing to move way up for? Say give up #31 and next years first for if they started to fall a little ? What if Okudah has a Lattimore esque fall. What about if Jerry Jeudy is sitting there at 11/12? 

Personally, I don't love the back half of the top 15, so I'm thinking that it's a no for me, but I will admit that there would be some appeal in Jeudy if Manny didn't re-sign, but I don't think I'd be interested enough for that. 

I remember a very spirited debate on the old board several years ago about this with Mike Evans. 

Only thing is, when you have a talented ball club that has big contracts upcoming, you pretty much have to hit on your draft picks. If you give up your draft picks in the future, then you better win NOW. Or else you will find yourself in the situation that the Rams are in.

Okudah is such a stud, would LOVE to get him. But to maximize his skill set you will have to put him in more of a man scheme. But he can play in any defense and that would be intriguing. Same with Jeudy. Um, I will have to think about this.

I will say, it is more important to HIT on picks than just draft for quantity. So if we have a top 15 ranked player at #31, then I would recommend drafting that player instead of trading down. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Didn't want to put this in the corner thread, but thought it is an interesting/realistic take.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2020-nfl-draft-san-francisco-49ers-one-prospect

I don't think we go safety with the first pick but I've seen McKinney mocked to us quite a bit. Of course, others are going go be unaware of Moore and how he's being groomed to take over at FS. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't think we go safety with the first pick but I've seen McKinney mocked to us quite a bit. Of course, others are going go be unaware of Moore and how he's being groomed to take over at FS. 

I've seen Delpit falling to the back end of rd 1 more and more. I think draft sites are putting too much weight on this past season over the prev 2 seasons. 

Our turns coming up on the consensus mock draft tomorrow. Sounds like we're going to have our pick of players.

• CB Trevon Diggs
  • IOL Cesar Ruiz
  • S Xavier McKinney
  • WR Brandon Aiyuk
  • WR Jalen Reagor
  • WR Justin Jefferson

These are the guys that stick out to me most. I don't see any huge immediate need that we need to plug so it seems like a good idea to be drafting BPA. I like Diggs here the most since I think he'd be a fantastic understudy for Sherman and eventually locking down X receivers for us. Ruiz is another guy I like a lot to help us shore up our IOL and provide more depth to that line. At the same time though I don't know how much our offense really values guards.

I figure this is a good point of discussion since we all seem pretty split on how we want to approach the draft. Of course, things will change depending on who we re-sign this off-season but for the purposes of this mock draft, I'm assuming we're going to be clearing room to bring back Ward, Armstead, and Sanders.

14 hours ago, Geek said:

Our turns coming up on the consensus mock draft tomorrow. Sounds like we're going to have our pick of players.

• CB Trevon Diggs
  • IOL Cesar Ruiz
  • S Xavier McKinney
  • WR Brandon Aiyuk
  • WR Jalen Reagor
  • WR Justin Jefferson

These are the guys that stick out to me most. I don't see any huge immediate need that we need to plug so it seems like a good idea to be drafting BPA. I like Diggs here the most since I think he'd be a fantastic understudy for Sherman and eventually locking down X receivers for us. Ruiz is another guy I like a lot to help us shore up our IOL and provide more depth to that line. At the same time though I don't know how much our offense really values guards.

I figure this is a good point of discussion since we all seem pretty split on how we want to approach the draft. Of course, things will change depending on who we re-sign this off-season but for the purposes of this mock draft, I'm assuming we're going to be clearing room to bring back Ward, Armstead, and Sanders.

Of those, sign me up for Cesar Ruiz! Otherwise, if WR, I would go Claypool (unless he was already taken?).

If we go cornerback early in the draft, then I'm definitely intrigued with Dantzler. If some want better man cover corners that have sticky coverage, he fits the bill. 

If we go WR, I bet a guy Shanahan will rate higher than others is Pittman. Definitely has that dog in him that Samuel does and is a beast after the catch. Aiyuk will be another one up on the list. 

If we go OL, I like Ruiz. Why? He plays a position on the OL that Shanahan really values and can step in for Richburg if he is to get hurt or when we move on from him. He's also very solid in pass protection and I want our interior OL upgraded, especially in the division we are in. Also like the fact he is very young and will only be 21 for the start of the season. Will have a chance to develop before he is ready to play. Fair critiques that he has little guard experience. If we go with another OL, Austin Jackson is one that fits the bill in terms of being athletic and able to move in this offense. Can play him at guard until he takes over at tackle or can just keep him at guard. 

• Like 2