2020 Draft Thread

Forge

Interesting read, especially with where we stand in Round 1 and lack of picks after

"The Seahawks then traded that No. 30 pick, which is pretty close to where the 49ers sit now, to the New York Giants for the No. 37, 132, and 142 picks.

The moves didn't end there. A third trade sent that No. 37 pick to the Carolina Panthers for the No. 47 and 77 picks. The Seahawks finally made their first selection at the No. 47 spot, and then made several other trades with their new arsenal of picks to further move around the draft order.

In the end, after busy days of negotiations, the Seahawks turned their initial No. 21 overall pick into picks No. 47, 64, 120, 132, 142, and 204. That's a first-rounder in exchange for two second-rounders, two fourth-rounders, one fifth-rounder, and one sixth-rounder to add to their draft picks."

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/135021-seahawks-provide-roadmap-49ers-gain-more-draft-picks/

• Like 3

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Welp, looks like everyone is on the Dantzler train and if teams get on it as well, then he won't be there at #31. That sucks.............

Oh well, time to look at some other corners! 

You don't see bad first steps with Dantzler? That's kind of my thing with him

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

You don't see bad first steps with Dantzler? That's kind of my thing with him

I would say at the LOS is where he can get better. And with good coaching, that can be cleaned up. But look at how he is able to track the ball and how smooth he is with his movement. Not many 6 foot 2 corners have his type of movement. Also, rarely did I see him from the three games highlights I saw of him in bad position. Even when he allows catches, he is right there with the receiver. 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Welp, looks like everyone is on the Dantzler train and if teams get on it as well, then he won't be there at #31. That sucks.............

Oh well, time to look at some other corners! 

Meh, he seems a little stiff for me and I question his long speed. I wouldn't be particularly upset with him but there are guys I think are more fluid and twitchy.

19 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Meh, he seems a little stiff for me and I question his long speed. I wouldn't be particularly upset with him but there are guys I think are more fluid and twitchy.

He's fluid, especially for his size. Would be a good add if we are to draft him. With good coaching he can be a serious problem down for years to come. Really nice ball skills and doesn't panic when the ball comes his way. 

1 hour ago, P_locniners said:

I am really liking what is see from Kyle Dugger, would be a great 2nd round pick IF we lose Ward and trade trade out of our 1st round pick to get some more draft capital. Seems to always be around the ball and great physicality sideline to sideline.

He's looking more like a SS to me at this point but I really like him.  I would give him a shot@FS. He has good instincts and range for 220 lb safety.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

He's looking more like a SS to me at this point but I really like him.  I would give him a shot@FS. He has good instincts and range for 220 lb safety.

Yep, that was the first thing that stood out, big guy got some range and nose for the football.

3 hours ago, oldman9er said:

Looks like they changed some position groupings for the first two days, this time around. 

http://www.nfl.com/network/combine

THURSDAY, FEB 27
4-11PM ET

TE, QB, WR

FRIDAY, FEB 28
4-11PM ET

PK, ST, OL, RB

Got a few guys on my radar@WR that can be had later on in the draft. Will be playing close attention to the receiver workouts...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

Still can't decide on how I feel about trading down in this spot.....

There is no right answer right now. 

You could argue we are one player away and that we need to stay put and take the best player available.

You could argue that we have done such a good job of drafting and developing talent that we should have as many bites of the apple as possible. 

Neither answer is wrong and impossible to determine until we are on the clock and we know who is available and what other teams want to move up.  

This FO has chosen to do things slightly differently than what is 'conventional' or what is expected. Basically no one thought we should trade Trent Brown and draft McG but that worked out beautifully and made a ton of sense once we understood why. If it was up to us we would have paid Earl Thomas a ton of money last year and then Armstead would absolutely be walking out of the door this offseason. No one expected us to not add anyone there and still get top 5 production out of the position. Basically everyone here wanted AJ Brown, who obviously had a very good season, but I dont know if any of us would trade Deebo for him straight up at this point. 

What I am saying is - they might do something we arent expecting. Something that feels out of left field but then totally makes sense once you break it down or understand a subsequent move. 

Personally - "deepest WR draft in a long time" to me says that we should be able to find one later than the 1st. If we do trade down and get a 3rd or 4th as part of the package, hopefully we can find a solid contributor at WR that we can groom into being more than a role player. With that being said, the playbook is extremely nuanced and its not easy for a rookie to come in and understand all of the option routes etc so its not super realistic to expect someone taken much later in the draft to come in and play right away. I am still holding out hope that Hurd is healthy and can play. His size is really the only thing missing. To me, Deebo, hurd, taylor, bourne, pettis could be good enough if all of these guys are able to continue to improve. So even if we cant pay sanders, then I think its reasonable to add a guy like gabriel or some other veteran and have a good passing game (assuming garoppolo can take a step forward, which I really believe he can) 

Also, a big run on WRs will mean other position groups will fall. Could also a mean that a team at the top of the draft will fall in love with 4-5 WRs and hope one slips to them in the high second, but then realize that if they miss out on the last of that group they will end up with zero of them, so they feel more compelled to trade up. 

I am going to keep saying it - we need a RB imo. Could be another UDFA but someone that could pass block and catch passes would be a valued asset. Guys who catch passes and pass block dont go undrafted. They are coveted. 

• Like 1