2020 Draft Thread

Forge

* Projected trade: Tampa Bay sends the 45th and 76th overall picks to San Francisco in return for the 31st overall pick.

31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Jordan Love, QB, Utah State

With only one top-155 pick, the 49ers are likely to be a willing trade partner for a team looking to get back into the first round. Perhaps the Bucs will bring back Winston or sign a veteran free agent like Philip Rivers. If Love is still on the board here, however, he has the live arm and mobility that may entice Bruce Arians and the Bucs to take on a chance on Love.

from a mock on SI.com

16 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

* Projected trade: Tampa Bay sends the 45th and 76th overall picks to San Francisco in return for the 31st overall pick.

With only one top-155 pick, the 49ers are likely to be a willing trade partner for a team looking to get back into the first round. Perhaps the Bucs will bring back Winston or sign a veteran free agent like Philip Rivers. If Love is still on the board here, however, he has the live arm and mobility that may entice Bruce Arians and the Bucs to take on a chance on Love.

from a mock on SI.com

yea right...even in my wildest dreams, this is a longshot

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

What is a longshot? 

The Bucs trading back into the first for a QB. And for Love, no less. If they want a QB, they're going to take him with their first pick or try and move up...not wait until the end of the round and grab the leftovers. 

Edited by 757-NINER

4 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

from a mock on SI.com

It's this kind of trade that I am not sure about. I think I make this one, but it's a really weird spot with no picks in the second / third round / fourth round.  

If you trade down just a few spots, your return probably isn't great (say 31 down to 35 / 36), so while you may still get the same tier of prospect, you're losing the fifth year option for something like a 4th round pick for a move down that small. Don't know if that is worth it. If you move down to 45, you get a bump in compensation, but you're also getting a different quality player at your draft spot most likely (or really banking on a player sliding for some reason). 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

this was very telling to me. The fact he said that we only threw 8 times in the nfccg (he said SB but we knew what he meant) and how we 'were trying to change that' was actually very eye opening. 

I wasn't thinking that we would go WR first, but if that is what we are saying behind closed doors, then I think its absolutely more of a possibility than I previously thought. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, N4L said:

this was very telling to me. The fact he said that we only threw 8 times in the nfccg (he said SB but we knew what he meant) and how we 'were trying to change that' was actually very eye opening. 

I wasn't thinking that we would go WR first, but if that is what we are saying behind closed doors, then I think its absolutely more of a possibility than I previously thought. 

With the depth at WR in this draft I can see them moving back and drafting a WR in the 2nd. 

To me you can't just go in the draft with the mindset you are moving down regardless of who is on the board. While it would be nice if there are similarly related players on the board to move down, I hope Lynch/Shanny stay put to draft a potential day one game changer. 

Quality over quantity… though of course when the draft is pretty much a crap shoot, quantity is the way to go at times. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

The Bucs trading back into the first for a QB. And for Love, no less. If they want a QB, they're going to take him with their first pick or try and move up...not wait until the end of the round and grab the leftovers. 

You're assuming that they don't end up with a veteran QB in free agency. A veteran QB in free agency absolutely lends itself to this sort of scenario where they draft another starter at another position with their first and then grab a QB of the future after trading back up into the bottom of the first. 

9 hours ago, N4L said:

I get what you're saying but I don't think that's the narrative internally. That might be what you say to a prospect because you want him to understand his skillset/talent is needed and will be used. But ultimately, if you're running the ball@7.4 ypc clip, you're going to continue to do so until the other team stops you. Regardless of who you have on the outside. Shanny has always been a run heavy type of play-caller.  Even when he had weapons like DeSean Jackson and Julio Jones in their prime. 

The real question about the passing game will center mostly on Jimmy G imo. If the talk internally is centered on being more of a dynamic passing team, then that falls soley on the shoulders of the QB more so than the WRs or lack there of. Can Shanny trust Jimmy enough to veer to a more aerial attack? Can Jimmy improve as a passer outside the numbers?

32 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

You're assuming that they don't end up with a veteran QB in free agency. A veteran QB in free agency absolutely lends itself to this sort of scenario where they draft another starter at another position with their first and then grab a QB of the future after trading back up into the bottom of the first. 

Well I am assuming they will sign a vet in free agency. But this isn't the draft to take your QBOTF late in the first. This is not a particularly deep QB class. QB evals are extremely subjective but I don't see them really liking any QB enough to trade back into the first. I just don't see the talent there to justify it. If a talent falls, that's very different. But as it stands, I just think its a pipe dream scenario. 

19 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Well I am assuming they will sign a vet in free agency. But this isn't the draft to take your QBOTF late in the first. This is not a particularly deep QB class. QB evals are extremely subjective but I don't see them really liking any QB enough to trade back into the first. I just don't see the talent there to justify it. If a talent falls, that's very different. But as it stands, I just think its a pipe dream scenario. 

Draft history is full of teams trading up to reach on QBs and this is possibly the final draft with an affordable 5th year option for first round picks. This forum's history is even more full of people so extremely sure of a prospect's value only to be wrong by multiple rounds. "Pipe dream scenario" is purely naive arrogance. 

• Like 1

Bunching these together for a quick reference bookmark later...

Would not surprise me if he runs 4.5, and I can see Queen being sought after as a box S type for Nickle/Dime packages. Not sure I would take him in the first 3 rds, personally.

I don't much like his physicality as a LB, and my goodness, he over-pursues A LOT.

Patrick Queen LB 6-0 2/8" 229 10" 31 5/8" 76 7/8" LSU
Edited by oldman9er

22 hours ago, N4L said:

Him, Proche and Hill are all WR I would like next Deebo.