2020 Draft Thread

Forge

7 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Decent write up on Jerry Juedy and his fit with the Niners, some good points

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/3/27/21195939/49ers-jerry-jeudy-the-wide-receiver-tailored-for-shanahans-offense

Pretty much sums up why he's been my 1A on my list for some time now. His route running is tailor made for Shanny and this scheme. Its something to marvel at really. And while he may not have the RAC ability of a Lamb, he creates separation in a way other guys can only dream up. He's like a faster version of Nuk. 

• Like 1

Eh, I'm still not sold on Jeudy. That first gif was against Duke which is like an nfl team playing against a college team. The second one against Clemson the corner was looking towards the QB not focused on Jeudy which is why he was so far open, not Jeudys fault or problem but not like it was special either. The one against the USCjr corner was a great play though. He's a good player don't get me wrong. I just don't see a top 15 pick. Theres a million people who I know will disagree. There was a radio interview I listened to with Greg Cosell were he thinks Jeudy is far and away the best receiver in the draft even counting Lamb.

To me a top 15 receiver should do stuff that you know not everyone else can do. Whats Jeudy's elite trait? Route running (which i know Shanny loves) so he has good short area quickness otherwise... hands? average to good, physicality? average, long speed? good, not elite. I don't see his ceiling as being a top 5 top 10 receiver in the nfl which taking a guy that high you would think he would be. I don't see the Amari Cooper comparison at all, Cooper is much more physical most likely thats just because both came from bama. The Chad Johnson/Adam Theilan comps I can see.

12 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Eh, I'm still not sold on Jeudy. That first gif was against Duke which is like an nfl team playing against a college team. The second one against Clemson the corner was looking towards the QB not focused on Jeudy which is why he was so far open, not Jeudys fault or problem but not like it was special either. The one against the USCjr corner was a great play though. He's a good player don't get me wrong. I just don't see a top 15 pick. Theres a million people who I know will disagree. There was a radio interview I listened to with Greg Cosell were he thinks Jeudy is far and away the best receiver in the draft even counting Lamb.

To me a top 15 receiver should do stuff that you know not everyone else can do. Whats Jeudy's elite trait? Route running (which i know Shanny loves) so he has good short area quickness otherwise... hands? average to good, physicality? average, long speed? good, not elite. I don't see his ceiling as being a top 5 top 10 receiver in the nfl which taking a guy that high you would think he would be. I don't see the Amari Cooper comparison at all, Cooper is much more physical most likely thats just because both came from bama. The Chad Johnson/Adam Theilan comps I can see.

I think in terms of route running and being a playmaker with the ball in his hands, Juedy is one of, if not the best in this class. Yes, he has a slighter frame and has a few drops that I expect to be remedied in the NFL. Give him a year in an NFL weight room and I think he has room to pack on muscle.

I just love the body control he has with the ball, everyone talks about how Pettis has a weird movement, Juedy kinda has the same. Everyone has their opinion, he is my WR #1 in this draft

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Elite physical traits dont always equate to production though. The reason I compared him to Nuk is because he was labeled as a guy with great ability but limited physical traits when he was a prospect. He ran a 4.57 forty and a subpar short shuttle so ppl viewed him as a guy with a limited ceiling physically. 

But the ability to run routes and separate is a elite trait. And you combine that with sub 4.5 speed and that's a guy with the ability to get open against press-man. Jeudy might not make those impressive catches like Hopkins. But he has the ability to get open against great press CBs, much like Hopkins. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Elite physical traits dont always equate to production though. The reason I compared him to Nuk is because he was labeled as a guy with great ability but limited physical traits when he was a prospect. He ran a 4.57 forty and a subpar short shuttle so ppl viewed him as a guy with a limited ceiling physically. 

But the ability to run routes and separate is a elite trait. And you combine that with sub 4.5 speed and that's a guy with the ability to get open against press-man. Jeudy might not make those impressive catches like Hopkins. But he has the ability to get open against great press CBs, much like Hopkins. 

Nuance to Jeudy's game can not be understated. Just Like Hopkins, Jeudy has shown the IQ to bait corners into going where he wants them to go, which provides the separation. He does the exact same in the open field. He knows how to sell his moves to weave through would-be tacklers. I'm not saying he's Lamar Jackson out there, but he runs in a very similar way. That type of YAC ability is so rare. 

We saw how our offense opened up after Sanders came on board, imagine having that again, but with a lot more physical ability this time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

Chad Johnson has always been my main comparison to Jeudy. They are highly similar. So if you agree Jeudy = Chad, why aren’t you higher on Jeudy? Chad was a beast and Top 10 WR. Dude won AFC WR of the year four years in a row from 2003-2006. He was insanely productive with his foot agility during routes, and his way that he bursts off the top of routes, which is what Jeudy does. The way Jeudy snaps off his route is eerily similar to Antonio Brown and Chad Johnson. 

Edited by BayRaider

43 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Chad Johnson has always been my main comparison to Jeudy. They are highly similar. So if you agree Jeudy = Chad, why aren’t you higher on Jeudy? Chad was a beast and Top 10 WR. Dude won AFC WR of the year four years in a row from 2003-2006. He was insanely productive with his foot agility during routes, and his way that he bursts off the top of routes, which is what Jeudy does. The way Jeudy snaps off his route is eerily similar to Antonio Brown and Chad Johnson. 

Antonio Brown was actually who I had in my head watching him (motion/movement wise). But you're right, both are/were top 10 receivers. I guess when I started watching him maybe I was expecting Julio/Amari and I was let down from that.

3 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

Antonio Brown was actually who I had in my head watching him (motion/movement wise). But you're right, both are/were top 10 receivers. I guess when I started watching him maybe I was expecting Julio/Amari and I was let down from that.

What I tell people for Jeudy is: He’s Chad Johnson without the ball, and he’s Amari Cooper with the ball. 

Raiders, however, will probably take Jeudy at 12 unless they shock everyone and select Jordan Love (certainly possible). 

52 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

What I tell people for Jeudy is: He’s Chad Johnson without the ball, and he’s Amari Cooper with the ball. 

Raiders, however, will probably take Jeudy at 12 unless they shock everyone and select Jordan Love (certainly possible). 

They're not interested in Lamb?

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

They're not interested in Lamb?

They could be. I’m not in the Raider FO. I’m way higher on Jeudy myself and Gruden likes polished WRs who run great routes. Plus we need speed. Lamb is an average speed guy (being very generous) at best. Jeudy has some juice. 

I have said a few times, I want a top flight running back. I am starting the bandwagon for Darrynton evans is going to be a good pro. I LOVE his feet and his short area quickness. He accelerates through his cuts. 

This is going to be a weird comp but he reminds me of deebo samuel with the ball in his hands. Very similar builds (deebo 5'11 215, 4.48, 39 vert, 15 reps vs Evans 5'10 205,  4.41, 39 vert, 20 reps) and both guys run HARD. That doesnt mean evans has the most power, but he attacks the hole when he gets the ball in his hands and seems to slash defenses. I LOVE the explosiveness. That doesnt just mean he runs really fast in a straight line. The guy has football speed. That means he can change directions like very few humans can. I also like his length.

He has very good decision making. Its not just his vision but how he processes information. A lot of guys with speed always try and outrun people when they feel trapped. He tends to be able to take a step to the outside, force a defender to take a step, then immediately cuts upfield with his head down trying to fall forward. I love that. its the quick decision that can be the difference between a punt and a first down. You cant hesitate in that scenario. Thats having a natural feel for football. Love it

I didnt see him do that well catching passes out of the backfield, but it didnt seem like his QB was really looking for him all that often in that situation either, so TBD. I do think he looks like he will be very good out of the backfield. The more I watch the guy the more I love him. Hes really really really talented. 

What round will he be picked?? want want want. So everyone hop on the bandwagon. He is a perfect scheme fit and would be a great pairing with mostert and whichever of breida/mckinnon make the roster. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BayRaider said:

They could be. I’m not in the Raider FO. I’m way higher on Jeudy myself and Gruden likes polished WRs who run great routes. Plus we need speed. Lamb is an average speed guy (being very generous) at best. Jeudy has some juice. 

You'll take Ruggs and like it! 

• Like 1