2020 Draft Thread

Forge

27 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

WR

OT

CB

Good post. I think we'll fill one of those positions at 13. I expect us to trade down from 31 (and maybe another trade down as well) and address the other 2 positions, as well as a DL in day 2 for more depth.

I'm guessing Brunskill, or a 1st round OT who plays inside before Staley retires, is being slated to start at RG? And Thomas slated to replace Buckner?

What positions do you think we target in day 3/UDFA for depth? I could see us going for RB, TE, LB, S. 

A great thing about our FO/Coaching staff is how many contributors we get in day 3/UDFA/bargain bin FA in general. Kittle, Greenlaw, Moseley, Bourne, James, Dwelley, Breida, Mostert, Brunskill, Jullian Taylor. And i'm hopeful that Kevin Givens & Trent Taylor can contribute this coming season too.

8 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Good post. I think we'll fill one of those positions at 13. I expect us to trade down from 31 (and maybe another trade down as well) and address the other 2 positions, as well as a DL in day 2 for more depth.

I'm guessing Brunskill, or a 1st round OT who plays inside before Staley retires, is being slated to start at RG? And Thomas slated to replace Buckner?

What positions do you think we target in day 3/UDFA for depth? I could see us going for RB, TE, LB, S. 

A great thing about our FO/Coaching staff is how many contributors we get in day 3/UDFA/bargain bin FA in general. Kittle, Greenlaw, Moseley, Bourne, James, Dwelley, Breida, Mostert, Brunskill, Jullian Taylor. And i'm hopeful that Kevin Givens & Trent Taylor can contribute this coming season too.

Once you get to day 3, you almost have to just go with BPA. This is a stacked team with very good depth, so you go with someone who at least has a chance to make the roster. You can't just pinpoint one position. 

What I wouldn't rule out is trading down from #31 and taking someone like Chase Claypool in the 2nd round. Seems like a Shanny move. He will then use Claypool as a hybrid TE. 

• Like 1

I am not advocating we should draft Love or any QB other than Tua or Burrow if for some magical reason either of those drops to 13. However i am just saying i wouldn't be totally suprised. This FO has done suprising things a lot and this would be one of those scenarios. I think we should go with one of the top 3 OT's(not a big Becton fan) or one of the top 3 WR's at 13. However what i would like even more is trading down a little to say the bottom of the teens and get one or two day two picks. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Once you get to day 3, you almost have to just go with BPA. This is a stacked team with very good depth, so you go with someone who at least has a chance to make the roster. You can't just pinpoint one position. 

What I wouldn't rule out is trading down from #31 and taking someone like Chase Claypool in the 2nd round. Seems like a Shanny move. He will then use Claypool as a hybrid TE. 

Isn't that hurds role? That's why he was learning the F role last year?

50 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I am not advocating we should draft Love or any QB other than Tua or Burrow if for some magical reason either of those drops to 13. However i am just saying i wouldn't be totally suprised. This FO has done suprising things a lot and this would be one of those scenarios. I think we should go with one of the top 3 OT's(not a big Becton fan) or one of the top 3 WR's at 13. However what i would like even more is trading down a little to say the bottom of the teens and get one or two day two picks. 

I'd totally draft a QB this year is we accumulated some picks. Mullens is a backup. Cj is a FA after the year. With increased roster sizes, 3 QBs isn't bad at all. If James Morgan slips into the fifth, I have no problems whatsoever with that pick

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Isn't that hurds role? That's why he was learning the F role last year?

I don't think so. I mean Hurd can be used everywhere, but he won't be lining up at TE as much as Chasepool.

And with Hurd, you have to operate with the belief of he's not giving you anything. He has to prove he is over the back injury and will stay healthy. 

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

Oh, I mentioned the possibility of taking a QB when all the reports came out about the team being interested in Brady and Shanny not believing in Jimmy's potential etc. But I think all that will end up just being noise. I don't see a QB being drafted with one of the early picks. BUT, going forward Jimmy will have to make strides or else Shanny won't be afraid to go into another direction. The team gave themselves that flexibility by not restructuring his deal. 

Now let's see how hell bent Shanny will be in getting his favorite WR in this draft. Will he use the #31 pick to trade up in the top 10 or will he decide to trade down to accumulate more picks? If the latter, then it makes more sense trading down with the #13 pick. 

As for the top three tackles, I watched a little of Jones and he looks good himself. That could be a trade down target later in the first round. 

• Like 1

I have no evidence to back this up, but I feel that Hurds injury was bad, but not bad enough to where he had to sit out the year, it was a medical redshirt. When he sustained the injury it didn't seem like a "thing" that was immediately addressed. it was like a slow drip of news with all the other weekly reports that come out. Furthermore,  the offense is notoriously hard on receivers and I think it gives rookies a really rough start to their careers to start here. 

As for the offense vs defense debate, couldn't have said it better than @J-ALL-DAY

I was starting to write up a really long post on this, but I relented. As heartbreaking as this past year was becasue of the end result,  it was an insanely fun season and we flexed in a big way. Bosa, Warner, AA, Deebo, Kittle. Lots of very young talent that can very much continue our current success. If our defenses dominance was predicated on some older players over performing or something akin to the earl 2010's 49ers where it really began with JUST our front seven, I'd be more nervous about our ability to sustain, but we're a young team that has consistently drafted well and consistently brings in bargain bin players that play over their skills. 

We have a great coaching staff and a good FO. I am not worried about us and won't be for a while. 

17 minutes ago, John232 said:

I have no evidence to back this up, but I feel that Hurds injury was bad, but not bad enough to where he had to sit out the year, it was a medical redshirt. When he sustained the injury it didn't seem like a "thing" that was immediately addressed. it was like a slow drip of news with all the other weekly reports that come out. Furthermore,  the offense is notoriously hard on receivers and I think it gives rookies a really rough start to their careers to start here. 

As for the offense vs defense debate, couldn't have said it better than @J-ALL-DAY

I was starting to write up a really long post on this, but I relented. As heartbreaking as this past year was becasue of the end result,  it was an insanely fun season and we flexed in a big way. Bosa, Warner, AA, Deebo, Kittle. Lots of very young talent that can very much continue our current success. If our defenses dominance was predicated on some older players over performing or something akin to the earl 2010's 49ers where it really began with JUST our front seven, I'd be more nervous about our ability to sustain, but we're a young team that has consistently drafted well and consistently brings in bargain bin players that play over their skills. 

We have a great coaching staff and a good FO. I am not worried about us and won't be for a while. 

See, I'm not sure about that. One of the reasons is Hurd couldn't even fly out to the SB. And with the amount of issues we had with our receivers before the Sanders trade, Hurd's presence could have been used. But I do hope it was more of the team being precautious than Hurd truly having a legitimate back injury for the entire season. Still, it is one of those need to see it to believe it cases with him. Excited to see him back on the field! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Forge said:

Every time I run a mock draft, I end up with Okudah or a tackle at 13 lol. I haven't ended up with a receiver once yet

Usually end up with Reagor at 31

If we do go WR@13, I think a guy like Josh Jones is a real possibility@31. He looked good@The Senior Bowl and though he has issues with his footwork, there's alot of upside to develop into a legit starting caliber LT. 31 is a reach for him but if we don't trade down and accumulate picks, its good pick there addressing the future imo.

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

If we do go WR@13, I think a guy like Josh Jones is a real possibility@31. He looked good@The Senior Bowl and though he has issues with his footwork, there's alot of upside to develop into a legit starting caliber LT. 31 is a reach for him but if we don't trade down and accumulate picks, its good pick there addressing the future imo.

Austin Jackson could be available as well. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Every time I run a mock draft, I end up with Okudah or a tackle at 13 lol. I haven't ended up with a receiver once yet

Usually end up with Reagor at 31

If we wait on a receiver I hope it's Higgins. I think he's got a lot of upside. Where are you running these mocks at? Using thedraftnework.com Jeudy has been available every time I have run the simulation I think. 

11 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

If we wait on a receiver I hope it's Higgins. I think he's got a lot of upside. Where are you running these mocks at? Using thedraftnework.com Jeudy has been available every time I have run the simulation I think. 

Oh, the receivers have been there, but it's more about the likes of Okudah and Wirfs being there instead. Using the fanspeak one. Higgins has been gone by 31 in the drafts. I don't love Reagor, but I do think that he's a guy that Shanny would like.