2020 Draft Thread

Forge

Honestly, with or without Staley retiring, I'm all in on getting a tackle with our first pick. Will be needing a replacement at worst after the 2020 season anyways. 

And yes, no way can you move down if the tackle the team wants is there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

I don't hate the idea of taking a tackle in the draft. But at 13? I'm not a fan. Especially if Jeudy or Lamb are still on the board. We were a few bad calls and missed throws away from winning the Super Bowl. We just let our #1B receiver walk out the door and we're in a pretty spot to pick up an even better WR. We're going to punt on that to take a tackle who may or may not even play this year? Our SB window is open right now. We have to capitalize on the opportunity and the roster we have. Taking a tackle at 13 just feels like a "next year" move, not a "win now" move. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, sherm said:

I think we can get a quality starting OT(or OG/C) at pick 31 if we wanted to wait. 

I think you take your chance on getting a good WR late in the first or second round. Like there has been zero difference from 2nd round WRs compared to 1st round WRs in the last six or so years. But as for tackles, I'm not taking that chance. If one falls that you really like, you take it right then and there. Unfortunately, doesn't seem like Wirfs is falling to our spot and that is a big bummer. Oh well, luckily there are some other quality tackles in this draft.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I don't hate the idea of taking a tackle in the draft. But at 13? I'm not a fan. Especially if Jeudy or Lamb are still on the board. We were a few bad calls and missed throws away from winning the Super Bowl. We just let our #1B receiver walk out the door and we're in a pretty spot to pick up an even better WR. We're going to punt on that to take a tackle who may or may not even play this year? Our SB window is open right now. We have to capitalize on the opportunity and the roster we have. Taking a tackle at 13 just feels like a "next year" move, not a "win now" move. 

If that tackle can play guard for a full season, then it's a giant improvement to the team. If Staley doesn't return - which he has yet to say he will - then that would also be a needed giant improvement. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

The WR's behind Jeudy and Lamb are also really good. There are a lot of guys that should go late first early second and it really is pick the one you like best. The Tackle class behind the top 3 takes a way bigger drop than the receiver class does.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Its a really tough spot, to be honest. 

Like any position, highly drafted tackles can bust out, and you never want to reach for one because of positional value, but it is a position that I want to draft early when give the chance. I don't think that you are reaching for any of these top 4 at this spot (in fact, they could just be tremendous value). I do think that you are reaching on Jones if you take him here, so if the top 4 are gone and we want to take a Tackle and want Jones, I would recommend the trade back before taking him. I don't think that he's available at 31, so you would have to use this pick in some sort of capacity to secure him, but there's a sizable drop after those first 4, and then against after #5, and the tackle classes frankly have not been good recently, so this is a somewhat rare-ish situation in recent times. 

Also, I mentioned earlier, out offensive line is not as good as people think, particularly in pass protection. If we take a tackle at 13, he's playing this year. That's not even a point of debate. He may play guard, but he's 100% playing unless he's just a bad player (which could honestly happen with any of these guys). Part of the reason we missed those throws and lost that game was that in the 4th quarter, our offensive line couldn't withstand the Chiefs. They punched us in the mouth, and our line fell back, and Jimmy is *not* a good quarterback against pressure. 

And I say this while arguably being the most pessimistic poster about this receiver corps in it's current incarnation lol. So I totally get what you are saying. But if a top 10 tackle falls to me at 13 (Wirfs in particular as i I think that he's absolutely a pro bowl and potentially all pro level guard in the interim) it's really hard for me to pass that up given the recent historical perforance of first vs second round receivers and the overall depth of this receiver class. And again, I'm one of those who is pretty much all in on receiver otherwise. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I disagree. A talent like Becton doesn't grow on trees. I guy that big and with his feet and athleticism is rare. And he's insanely powerful. I would have no problem with that pick. Becton played in Satterfield's zone blocking scheme last year. He's much more equipped to come in and hit the ground running as O-Lineman than any WR we draft.

As much as Iike Jeudy and Lamb, I think ppl are overestimating the impact they will have as rookies. Shanny's scheme is complex and his playbook is enormous. There's going to be a learning curve for any rookie WR. Deebo said it took him nearly 12 weeks into the season to feel like he had a good grasp of the offense. And remember they had Deebo for a week down in Mobile for the Senior Bowl so he got a little test run, before he was even drafted. Now with the off-season almost assured to be shortened, it will be hard for any rookie WR to get a foothold in the scheme and really have a impact immediately. Its one of the reasons I'm starting to think Goodwin will stick around, at least through TC...if we have one.

As talented as Jeudy and Lamb are they are not the only WRs in this draft who will leave their mark as pros. This is one of the deepest WR drafts in long while. So if anything, passing on a WR early, makes more sense than passing on a OT. Especially if you dont believe the gap between those two and the next tier is that big.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

I mean, from a positional value, board value and just the general context of our team and this draft year...Tackle really is the most sensible move at 13. Wills, Wirfs, Thomas, Becton would all be really really good value at 13. The odds of us being in position to draft a tackle with that kind of potential next year is pretty low. I think about Houston having to reach last year and how often teams just make tremendous reaches in the back half of the first and second rounds just with the hopes they can grab even a competent lineman...Skule and Brunskill have been great, but I'm not ready to bank our future on them. OT seems like the safest and smartest pick. 

This is a deep class too. We can tradeback at 31 and still grab a corner and receiver.

• Like 2

Honestly though, I will be surprised if any of the top 4 OTs drop to #13. So many OL needy teams pick before us and I'm just not sold that teams are going to go WR over O-Line in some of these instances. Especially in a deep class. Wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Josh Jones go alot earlier than some expect. I think either Jeudy or Lamb will be there@13 if we want them.

Edited by 757-NINER

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Honestly though, I will be surprised if any of the top 4 OTs drop to #13. So many OL needy teams pick before us and I'm just not sold that teams are going to go WR over O-Line in some of these instances. Especially in a deep class. Wouldn't be surprised to see a guy like Josh Jones go alot earlier than some expect. I think either Jeudy or Lamb will be there@13 if we want them.

I'm fine either way. I wouldn't even be surprised if Okuduh drops more than people think. We should be getting either a quality WR or OT, or even a quality CB. No one will be upset if we end up with either Lamb or Jeudy or Thomas etc. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Honestly though, I will be surprised if any of the top 4 OTs drop to #13. So many OL needy teams pick before us and I'm just not sold that teams are going to go WR over O-Line in some of these instances. Especially in a deep class. I think either Jeudy or Lamb will be there@13 if we want them.

Agreed. Not completely impossible, of course, as a lot of these teams could go Tackle or another direction, but if I were putting odds on anything, than Receiver is still by far the most likely position to be the pick here when accounting for need + who may be available. 

Also wouldn't surprise to see Ruggs go before either Jeudy or Lamb. Don't think he'll be the first WR off the board but definitely wouldn't be shocked if some teams viewed him as Tyreek Hill type of home-run threat and go with elite speed and explosiveness over prototypical WR1 measurables. Especially the Raiders. Mayock seems like the type that would want combat what the Chiefs are doing with his own version of Hill.