2020 Draft Thread

Forge

11 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

My opinion is that we could get Lamb at 13 hopefully and then Austin Jackson at 31 - Jackson is far from polished, but he's got all the raw materials to make an elite tackle. I get what you are saying but to me Lamb / Jackson > Becton / Higgins ( I also really like Higgins, but I don't think he's at the level of Lamb ).

And I'd be perfectly fine with that. Just to be clear, I am NOT saying we should take a tackle ever Jeudy or Lamb or trade down if those two are available. The conversation was about IF the front office is hell bent on going tackle with the 13th pick, they shouldn't trade down if the one they rate is available. At that point you take that tackle right then and there. Now, let's say they rate Jeudy very high but then Ruggs/Lamb are right in the same group as some other WRs, then a trade down is okay. Just with the tackle position, you don't want to risk it as good WRs are always going to be available late in the first round or 2nd/3rd rounds. 

Do you guys think the potential absence of an offseason will change the way teams draft? There's uncertainty. We don't know how much time rookies will have to learn the systems. So, do you think that teams who see themselves as contenders will invest their draft capital in prospects with steeper learning curves, or will go with positions that adapt more quickly to the NFL?

Receivers often take more time to get accustomed to the pro game, and that will be even worse if rookie camps get postponed. So, will we, a contender, draft a WR at 13, not knowing if we'll even be able to get him up to speed, or will we pick someone that will step in and contribute right away? Maybe that's in fact the reason the Colts so readily traded away that pick for a proven pro. They perhaps felt there was no way #13 would help them as much as Buckner will. 

So I suspect that teams that are in rebuild more might go for upside over readiness, while contenders will go for readiness over upside, and that will change the way their draft boards shape up in a big way. We've been looking at this draft just like any other draft, ranking talent and needs, while there's now another element to it. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Not really a weakness. Most want a dynamic guy opposite Deebo but I think Bourne will continue to develop if given the opportunity. Needs to clean up the drops. But with Kittle and Deebo getting the bulk of the attention, I think he'll be fine in his role. And its a contract year, so I think he'll really be motivated. I been saying since Shanny became our HC that he'll coax production out of that group, regardless of the perceived talent. And if Jimmy has a clean pocket to step up into, I think that will bare fruit. 

I think fans are using Shanny as a crutch a bit too much, to be honest. It's not like he is the first offensive guru, and they don't always have success. I mean, look across the field at the guy who beat us this year. If there is a guy who can lay claim to even being superior in this regard it's Any Reid, and it took him 20 years to win a super bowl and he needed by far and away the best quarterback in football, a legit WR1 in Hill, a top 2 tight end and a competent WR2 / former top 5 draft pick talent in Sammy Watkins to get there. Remember what happened when his team was filled with a competent quarterback (McNabb) and a bunch of misfit wide receivers? They were competitive and never got over the hump. 

I think that there is merit to the coach getting  as much incredible offensive skill talent as possible to make an elite unit as opposed to bare bonesing the offense and having it be very good with lower resources. We may be doing ourselves a disservice there. I do think that there is a place for the offensive line help (I've been beating that drum for a couple of days now that people are over estimating our offensive line), but I can't do the double dip with only one spot open at the top of the draft. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Do you guys think the potential absence of an offseason will change the way teams draft? There's uncertainty. We don't know how much time rookies will have to learn the systems. So, do you think that teams who see themselves as contenders will invest their draft capital in prospects with steeper learning curves, or will go with positions that adapt more quickly to the NFL?

Receivers often take more time to get accustomed to the pro game, and that will be even worse if rookie camps get postponed. So, will we, a contender, draft a WR at 13, not knowing if we'll even be able to get him up to speed, or will we pick someone that will step in and contribute right away? Maybe that's in fact the reason the Colts so readily traded away that pick for a proven pro. They perhaps felt there was no way #13 would help them as much as Buckner will. 

So I suspect that teams that are in rebuild more might go for upside over readiness, while contenders will go for readiness over upside, and that will change the way their draft boards shape up in a big way. We've been looking at this draft just like any other draft, ranking talent and needs, while there's now another element to it. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking this.

I definitely think it's going to be more interesting. I'd be looking at some guys who had meh combines, had some injury concerns as guys who are going to get some incredible value by the end of their rookie deals. It does add a significant degree of uncertainty with a lot of these guys. And then you have the fact that some of these prospects didn't work out at the combine as they were planning on doing pro days. 

3 hours ago, rudyZ said:

just one more reason why I would have liked to see them snag OBJ.. 

I like some of these early WR draftees as well, but it's quite a gamble that they can step up immediately. Making sure we have enough quality at WR + depth EDGE + depth IOL were imo the most important needs. :/ 

Barrows just said in his mailbox he thinks Staley is staying and he seems perfectly healthy. So it sounds like he's coming back. I figured he'd play out the rest of his contract before retiring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geek said:

Barrows just said in his mailbox he thinks Staley is staying and he seems perfectly healthy. So it sounds like he's coming back. I figured he'd play out the rest of his contract before retiring.

He also mentioned that if we happened to win the superbowl this year and Staley retires after that it would make this draft a good one to draft a tackle fwiw since this is an especially good one for it.

Edited by Ftn49

Which tackle seems to be dropping to us at 13 though? A lot of mocks that I have seen have the top guys going prior to our pick which of course allows us to take one of the top receivers or corners. I just hope we don’t over think and reach at 13 for someone. I would be interested in taking one of the tackles and getting Higgins at 31, praying he lasts. I understand that this draft is one of the deepest at receiver which makes me think we will attempt to trade back and grab one later, so I guess my gut is telling me to get ready for it lol 

3 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Which tackle seems to be dropping to us at 13 though? A lot of mocks that I have seen have the top guys going prior to our pick which of course allows us to take one of the top receivers or corners. I just hope we don’t over think and reach at 13 for someone. I would be interested in taking one of the tackles and getting Higgins at 31, praying he lasts. I understand that this draft is one of the deepest at receiver which makes me think we will attempt to trade back and grab one later, so I guess my gut is telling me to get ready for it lol 

None in my opinion. I think the main 4 are all gone by 13. 

If they are gone, I focus on the receivers and Brown

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Pass on Brown. Good player but if we take an interior DL, then that player better be a force of a pass rusher.

If four OTs are gone, then you also have to assume three QBs will go in the top 12, then you got guys like Simmons and Okudah also likely to go in the top 12. That will leave us in a great spot to get one of the top WRs or Henderson. Wouldn't be mad if the draft falls that way.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

I dont think Brown falls to us. Even if he does, its probably still a WR if the top 4 OTs are off the board. 

Also wouldn't surprise me if we reached for a guy like Jones. I just think he's one of those guys who's going to go alot higher than alot of ppl expect. He was super impressive in Mobile. And while his arms are a little shorter than what you want ideally from your LT, kid has alot of tools and I think he'll be a high-end starter in the pros. And I'm starting to think he won't be there@31 if we go WR@13. So if they're hell bent on getting a top OT prospect, I could see them reach for Jones if they like him. Wouldn't be the first time for this regime. 

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Pass on Brown. Good player but if we take an interior DL, then that player better be a force of a pass rusher.

If four OTs are gone, then you also have to assume three QBs will go in the top 12, then you got guys like Simmons and Okudah also likely to go in the top 12. That will leave us in a great spot to get one of the top WRs or Henderson. Wouldn't be mad if the draft falls that way.

I'd rather brown than kinlaw if we are going to go in that direction. 

Just now, Forge said:

I'd rather brown than kinlaw if we are going to go in that direction. 

Opposite for me lol. 

I want the raw freak with more potential ahead of him. 

But let's hope we go in a different direction come draft day. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Opposite for me lol. 

I want the raw freak with more potential ahead of him. 

But let's hope we go in a different direction come draft day. 

I was just editing it to specify. It's about immediate impact for me, and I don't think that is kinlaw. He's got to cook. Lots to work on there. Brown won't have the total upside of kinlaw in the long-run, but I think he's going to hold up better to start in the NFL. He may ultimately mesh extremely well with the rest of the line as well