2020 Draft Thread

Forge

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jones to me is my second favorite tackle behind Wirfs. Well, Thomas is right there too. But Jones is the real deal and is one of those guys who has that raw potential to only get better and better. Stud. 

All true. BUT it will be a reach@13. I mentioned us reaching for him just yesterday. Jones is going to go earlier than alot of ppl expect. But I wouldn't love him@13. I would completely understand it but I wouldn't love the value right there. A trade down into the early 20s Absolutely....run to the phone and make that selection. But we have history of targeting guys we like and locking in and taking them, regardless of the perceived value so I think its very plausible.. But if I'm being honest, I'd rather go WR in that scenario and grab Cushenberry@31. He's not a OT but he can play RG until he eventually takes over Richburg and we roll with Staley, Skule and Brunskill and take our chances. The point this year is to improve the RG spot and you still do that with the selection of Cushenberry. Its just the long-term effect of having a succession plan for Staley that you forgo by not going OT@13. 

7 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

I would take Jones before Becton but after Wirfs, Wills and Thomas. Agree with Forge though that i like it more around 20 then i do at 13.

Meh, Becton is best OT in this draft class for me. I understand ppl are enamored with Willis and Wirfs but Becton is just scratching the surface of how truly dominate he can be. He's a more athletic, powerful Trent Brown. Pro version Trent Brown might I add...

Just now, 757-NINER said:

Meh, Becton is best OT in this draft class for me. I understand ppl are enamored with Willis and Wirfs but Becton is just scratching the surface of how truly dominate he can be. He's a more athletic, powerful Trent Brown. Pro version Trent Brown might I add...

IF he can keep the weight down....  That right there is a big red flag for me. It is his only one, but he has struggled with it in his past.

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

All true. BUT it will be a reach@13. I mentioned us reaching for him just yesterday. Jones is going to go earlier than alot of ppl expect. But I wouldn't love him@13. I would completely understand it but I wouldn't love the value right there. A trade down into the early 20s Absolutely....run to the phone and make that selection. But we have history of targeting guys we like and locking in and taking them, regardless of the perceived value so I think its very plausible.. But if I'm being honest, I'd rather go WR in that scenario and grab Cushenberry@31. He's not a OT but he can play RG until he eventually takes over Richburg and we roll with Staley, Skule and Brunskill and take our chances. The point this year is to improve the RG spot and you still do that with the selection of Cushenberry. Its just the long-term effect of having a succession plan for Staley that you forgo by not going OT@13. 

Honestly, I haven't gone through all the prospects and done rankings like others so I'm not going to sit here and say this is my 10th rated prospect or my 20th rated prospect. But there are prospects I would feel better at taking at 13 opposed to later in the draft. For example, a lot of folks may have Kinlaw or Brown rated higher than Jones, but I would only be happy taking one of those at #13, and it wouldn't be either of the interior DL. Overall, I would be fine with Wirks/Thomas/Willis/Jones at #13. Becton would make me hesitate a bit more and on that one I'd prefer moving down to get him. Jones in the ZBS is going to kill it with his movement skills and was supposedly so much better in the run blocking this past season opposed to the years in the past. That is a really good sign and just shows he is just going to continue to get better and better. 

Cushenberry at #31 would be really good as well. No complaints there. 

8 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm not really up-to-speed on the 1st round corners, but I think the knock on Fulton is that he's still kind of raw and has a lot of mental lapses. Also, how does he do in zone? When I'm looking at corners this year, I'm really trying to pay attention to how they play in zone, how is their tackling, and can they press on the outside. 

Those three things are why I love Harrison Hand in the 5th round. He's tailor-made for our defense.

I mean I don't know about the mental lapses. I'm not going to act like I've watched all his games or anything, but the way LSU uses their corners, it is some pro level stuff. He's not flawless by any means but he's going to be a good corner for years to come. Someone the fan base will not be complaining about once he hits the field. 

9 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Becton is all potential to me. The guy from all the first round tackles by far has the biggest risk attached to him. For me my ranking would be like this:

1. Wirfs

2. Thomas

3. Wills 

4. Jones

5. Becton

Where the first three are top-10 level players and the bottom two are more towards the 20-32 range.

Edited by Justone2

17 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

IF he can keep the weight down....  That right there is a big red flag for me. It is his only one, but he has struggled with it in his past.

He came in@389 lbs as a freshemen. Hasn't been a issue since from my knowledge...

Edited by 757-NINER

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean I don't know about the mental lapses. I'm not going to act like I've watched all his games or anything, but the way LSU uses their corners, it is some pro level stuff. He's not flawless by any means but he's going to be a good corner for years to come. Someone the fan base will not be complaining about once he hits the field. 

I haven't seen a ton of tape on him either, that's just what I was reading on scouting reports. I do agree that LSU corners tend to be pretty good at the next level. I wouldn't hate Fulton at 31 if he's still there, but I'm also not seeing corner as a 1st-round priority this year. I think I'd prefer to take one in the later rounds, but that's just me.

6 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

He came in@289 lbs as a freshemen. Hasn't been a issue since from my knowledge...

The guys is 364 lbs. The problem isn't on the low end its because he is so heavy you have to wonder how his knee's and such will hold up over time. Couple that with him being pretty raw in terms of pass Pro.

Edited by Justone2

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly, I haven't gone through all the prospects and done rankings like others so I'm not going to sit here and say this is my 10th rated prospect or my 20th rated prospect. But there are prospects I would feel better at taking at 13 opposed to later in the draft. For example, a lot of folks may have Kinlaw or Brown rated higher than Jones, but I would only be happy taking one of those at #13, and it wouldn't be either of the interior DL. Overall, I would be fine with Wirks/Thomas/Willis/Jones at #13. Becton would make me hesitate a bit more and on that one I'd prefer moving down to get him. Jones in the ZBS is going to kill it with his movement skills and was supposedly so much better in the run blocking this past season opposed to the years in the past. That is a really good sign and just shows he is just going to continue to get better and better. 

Cushenberry at #31 would be really good as well. No complaints there. 

The thing with Jones is he's a much better run blocker than pass protector at this point. Kind of like McG was regarded as a prospect. If he were more stout in pass pro, I would be more inclined to reach. But taking him@13 you have to believe he will get there in terms of being a pass protector. Its a gamble. 

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

The thing with Jones is he's a much better run blocker than pass protector at this point. Kind of like McG was regarded as a prospect. If he were more stout in pass pro, I would be more inclined to reach. But taking him@13 you have to believe he will get there in terms of being a pass protector. Its a gamble. 

He's also insanely sloppy. Feet, hands...just all over the place. That's a bit of a concern given his experience..it either speaks to him, or to his coaching. I can't really say which, to be honest. Jones is a guy I would feel better about if I were there in his interviews and the like. 

5 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I haven't seen a ton of tape on him either, that's just what I was reading on scouting reports. I do agree that LSU corners tend to be pretty good at the next level. I wouldn't hate Fulton at 31 if he's still there, but I'm also not seeing corner as a 1st-round priority this year. I think I'd prefer to take one in the later rounds, but that's just me.

I'd take Terrell over Fulton@31 if they were both on the board...

6 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Ah yeah that makes more sense but really even 364 is a lot in today's NFL.

Dude is 6'8. Even if he were playing@389, I dont believe it would hinder him like at all. How light he is on his feet is extrodinary for a guy his size. You really have to dig into his film to really get an appreciation of how effortlessly he moves and mirrors and with the casual power he plays with. He's just tossing DTs like he's pushing a grocery cart...no real effort involved. Physically he has what none of the other OTs posses.