2020 Draft Thread

Forge

Todd McShay's mock draft is the grossest of all gross things: 

31. San Francisco 49ers

J.K. Dobbins, RB, Ohio State*

The Niners are No. 2 in the NFL in rushing and have used a plethora of backs to get there. But considering Matt Breida will be a free agent after San Francisco's playoff bid, Tevin Coleman's $0 in guaranteed money after this season and the high value Dobbins presents here, I like the idea of bringing in another versatile offensive weapon for Jimmy Garoppolo and padding a strength for this team. But don't be surprised to see the 49ers trade out of the spot altogether with just six picks in the entire draft and only one before Day 3.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 9:47 PM, Chrissooner49er said:

Ok, I think this Falcons game showed us how badly we need better IOL talent. :( It’s a desperate NEED, IMO. 

We do, but don't expect a guard or center to be drafted in the first couple of rounds. It's not Shanahan's style to covet IOL early. RBs and IOL are late-round gets for Shanahan/Lynch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

We do, but don't expect a guard or center to be drafted in the first couple of rounds. It's not Shanahan's style to covet IOL early. RBs and IOL are late-round gets for Shanahan/Lynch.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them trade down in the 1st to get make up for none on the 2nd day...BUT, that would also be the 1st time they would have traded OUT of the 1st round. This could go several different ways.

I don't recall the 9ers picking a C in Shanny/Lynch era.....

8 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

It wouldn't surprise me to see them trade down in the 1st to get make up for none on the 2nd day...BUT, that would also be the 1st time they would have traded OUT of the 1st round. This could go several different ways.

Nope, all of their Guards and Centers were FA signings or trades. The only linemen drafted by them are McGlinchey and Skule. 

I also hope we trade out of the 1st unless a premium prospect falls to us. At this point, I have no clue who is a premium prospect or who I'd want the Niners to go after. Usually, by this time in the season, I have a full-on mock draft and a good grasp of prospects. Not this year, though. 

25 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Yeah, even dating back to when his dad coached, I don't think he spent a premium pick on offensive lineman. It was either someone's cast off who fit or a late round pick.

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Todd McShay's mock draft is the grossest of all gross things: 

"Breida is a free agent"...I mean, he's a restricted free agent, which is a huge difference. If he's not back on the team next year, it's largely because we didn't / don't want him back (which I find is unlikely). We will know that by how we tender him. If we give him an original round tender, than the team doesn't have a lot invested in him and we are more willing to see what just shakes out and if we bring him back, great, and if someone wants to overpay him, great. If we tender him at a second rounder (which is what I expect), then we are basically locking him up and ensuring that he's  back next year (I sincerely doubt anyone is giving him a good contract + giving up a second round pick). These are important differences that McShay is completely glossing over. 

But if we take a running back in the first round....yeah, I'm going to throw up a little in my mouth. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Forge said:

Man, that LSU/ Oklahoma game got out of hand quickly. 

Not sure it's the right call, but burrow is certainly going #1 to the Bengals

From what we've seen this yr...he's earned the top spot. None of the other QB have shown his ceiling. Tau injury will keep him from the top spot. 

But this wr class. Yeah there's some major talent there.

4 minutes ago, sherm said:

From what we've seen this yr...he's earned the top spot. None of the other QB have shown his ceiling. Tau injury will keep him from the top spot. 

I was hoping to see Chase and Jefferson being eligible to come out but see Chase is only a sophomore. 

Even if we trade down, we should have some solid choices at WR if we elect to go that direction, though I think that is probably unlikely. Will just bring Sanders back to a two year deal and hope Hurd/Pettis can emerge and Taylor gets healthy. 

How is the OL talent in this draft? 

10 minutes ago, sherm said:

Yeah, but I still think I'd take chase Young before burrow. I have no issues with burrow being the first quarterback

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was hoping to see Chase and Jefferson being eligible to come out but see Chase is only a sophomore. 

Even if we trade down, we should have some solid choices at WR if we elect to go that direction, though I think that is probably unlikely. Will just bring Sanders back to a two year deal and hope Hurd/Pettis can emerge and Taylor gets healthy. 

How is the OL talent in this draft? 

I'm cool with bringing back Sanders but he should not stop us from drafting a wr if a talented one drops to us. Also I was a fan of Hurd before he was picked by us but we still don't know what he can do. Pettis...well he's made his bed. 

Haven't went full on draft yet but from what I can tell OT looks much better than OG. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, but I still think I'd take chase Young before burrow. I have no issues with burrow being the first quarterback

Naw not even in the same discussion. If u need a QB u take Burrow. If u have your QBOTF then yes I'd take Young. Love me some Bosa...but we all know how much Jimmy G means to this team.

• Like 2