2020 Draft Thread

Forge

Still a Dantzler fan and he looked good in the drills. In a cover three scheme like ours, he will be fine. When he is isolated, he will have to play right up at the LOS and win there. His tape doesn't lie. Almost always in great position and doesn't panic when the ball comes his way. May be able to get him late in the 2nd or in the 3rd with a trade down. 

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Trevor Sikkema proposed this trade down in his latest mock draft: 

Dolphins receive: #31

49ers receive: 56, 70, 165

Thoughts? 56 is lower than I'd prefer, but high 3rd rounder with a 5th rounder thrown in there. Again, I would first have to see who is available and would like the team to take someone they have rated higher than the #31 slot. But not terrible compensation if this is the trade. 

Yes if there is a group of guys we like in that mid to late 2nd rd range. Kinda getting used to the idea a top guy will fall to us at 31 and it'll be a boring draft from there.

47 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Thoughts? 56 is lower than I'd prefer, but high 3rd rounder with a 5th rounder thrown in there. Again, I would first have to see who is available and would like the team to take someone they have rated higher than the #31 slot. But not terrible compensation if this is the trade. 

Meh. That's a big drop. I still haven't decided on how I feel about a trade down in general. I think it could come down to something as simple as what is our plan with the 31st pick. Positional need or BPA. BPA, I think you make the pick, because at 56, you're dropping to a different tier of player in my opinion. 

Position specific? Now I'm interested. IF that position is WR or IOL, I think i may make the trade. DE? Probably am not. S? Probably not. Corner? close...but I'd hedge no right now. Tackle would depend on who is on the board. 

15 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I was just coming in here to post this after reading his mock this morning. This is clearly biased toward the Dolphins. He's giving us their lowest 2nd and their lowest 5th to jump back into the 1st - no way. Personally, I hate everything about this for a few reasons:

1. The package sucks. A low second and a high third? No thanks. I'll take 39, 70, 145. If we have to throw in a 6th to do it, fine. 

2. His picks suck. I'm not a fan of Winfield is the 2nd and Bryce Hall in the 3rd. I'd rather have Claypool or Higgins in the 2nd, and Dugger in the 3rd.

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I was just coming in here to post this after reading his mock this morning. This is clearly biased toward the Dolphins. He's giving us their lowest 2nd and their lowest 5th to jump back into the 1st - no way. Personally, I hate everything about this for a few reasons:

1. The package sucks. A low second and a high third? No thanks. I'll take 39, 70, 145. If we have to throw in a 6th to do it, fine. 

That's actually pretty much dead on from a TVC perspective. Not always a lock, but it's a good guide. Would actually favor us by about 6 points. we come out a little short on the Rich Hill version, I believe, but they are still pretty close (negative 10 points on that one). That would be a fairly accurate trade presentation. 

The difference between pick 39 and pick 56 is basically a third rounder. That is a lot more than throwing back a sixth. 

Keep in mind, we went from pick 59 to 44 to draft Dante Pettis. That cost us pick 74 in the third round. While we did get a C4 in that one as well, that value is fairly nominal and would be wiped out by this pick being 5 selections higher than the one we used on Pettis. Carolina moved up from 47 to 37 last year and it cost them a third rounder at pick 77. The Pats went from 56 to 45, had to give up a third rounder at pick #101. 

Last year, there were two similar trades, with slightly different results. Seattle kicked back from 30 to 37, got a 4th and a 5th for it (132 / 142). So if we take 39, maybe its 142/153 we get back?  The Rams then kicked back from 31 to 45. They got 45 and 79. So his value definitely isn't off with regards to the trade option. 

Kind of a weird spot, to be honest. Miami's third rounder is too high to give us in a move from 31 to 39, but their 4th is too low. 

This is a very deep draft class of wide receivers, but from talking to several sources in Indy, the safest pick of the bunch is Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb. Scouts really, really, really like him. He’s smart, very detail-oriented, and dynamic with the ball in his hands after the catch, and word out of Oklahoma is he’s a fantastic practice player. An NFL special teams coach also told me that Lamb is the best return guy in this draft, describing him as having good but not great speed but excellent vision and an uncanny feel for the space around him.

https://theathletic.com/1649310/2020/03/03/nfl-scouting-combine-draft-prospects-college-football-2021?source=shared-article

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

This is a very deep draft class of wide receivers, but from talking to several sources in Indy, the safest pick of the bunch is Oklahoma’s CeeDee Lamb. Scouts really, really, really like him. He’s smart, very detail-oriented, and dynamic with the ball in his hands after the catch, and word out of Oklahoma is he’s a fantastic practice player. An NFL special teams coach also told me that Lamb is the best return guy in this draft, describing him as having good but not great speed but excellent vision and an uncanny feel for the space around him.

https://theathletic.com/1649310/2020/03/03/nfl-scouting-combine-draft-prospects-college-football-2021?source=shared-article

Oh, I saw this a LONG time ago. He may not be the speedster some want, but he MAKES plays, he doesn't wait for them to happen.

54 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I think Jeudy is better right now. Its really 1a and 1b for me. I could see how some could like Lamb over Jeudy. They're both tremendous talents. Jeudy has some of the best rotue-running for college player I've seen. He just knows how to create space. I think both will be great though.

So, I listened to Matt Miller's Stick to Football podcast over the weekend. He did a 2-round mock draft on the pod, and he had us taking Jeff Gladney. His reason was that outside of Sherman, the 49ers have no corners. He said that Witherspoon was a huge disappointment (mostly true), Moseley was decent but has no future (extremely false), and that Ward was our primary nickel (Wut?). No mention of K'waun Williams at all. 

I agree that we need some CB depth, but as a claimed 49ers' fan, he pretty off the mark in his assessment of the CB group right now.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

So, I listened to Matt Miller's Stick to Football podcast over the weekend. He did a 2-round mock draft on the pod, and he had us taking Jeff Gladney. His reason was that outside of Sherman, the 49ers have no corners. He said that Witherspoon was a huge disappointment (mostly true), Moseley was decent but has no future (extremely false), and that Ward was our primary nickel (Wut?). No mention of K'waun Williams at all. 

I agree that we need some CB depth, but as a claimed 49ers' fan, he pretty off the mark in his assessment of the CB group right now.

We didn't need to know you were a masochist, @NinerNation21

But seriously, yeah. Way off the mark saying Moseley doesn't have a future. Dont' get me wrong, I'm not putting all that stock into a single year as having a future, but at this point, he has an immediate future as a decent player. Spoon has definitely been a disappointment. 

I wouldn't mind spending a first on a corner, that's a really nice sweet spot in the draft for it, but as I said in the other thread, I just don't think that it's something we are going to do. I think that the staff and FO are happy with the group we have. I wouldn't be shocked by a Jason Verrett type signing (I really thought we were going to be in on Norman), but I don't think we are going much bigger than that. Unless we just go all out and go huge at CB2 and trade for Bradbury or something. 

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

We didn't need to know you were a masochist, @NinerNation21

But seriously, yeah. Way off the mark saying Moseley doesn't have a future. Dont' get me wrong, I'm not putting all that stock into a single year as having a future, but at this point, he has an immediate future as a decent player. Spoon has definitely been a disappointment. 

I wouldn't mind spending a first on a corner, that's a really nice sweet spot in the draft for it, but as I said in the other thread, I just don't think that it's something we are going to do. I think that the staff and FO are happy with the group we have. I wouldn't be shocked by a Jason Verrett type signing (I really thought we were going to be in on Norman), but I don't think we are going much bigger than that. Unless we just go all out and go huge at CB2 and trade for Bradbury or something. 

His podcast is nice to listen to from the rumors and rumblings perspective.

I'm not opposed to a CB in the first. In fact, I think it would be very wise to draft one and sign a UDFA corner as well. He also mentioned letting Ward walk and signing Damarious Randall. I'm very opposed to that. If we're letting Ward walk, I'd rather roll with Moore and sign a cheap backup for insurance. 

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

His podcast is nice to listen to from the rumors and rumblings perspective.

I'm not opposed to a CB in the first. In fact, I think it would be very wise to draft one and sign a UDFA corner as well. He also mentioned letting Ward walk and signing Damarious Randall. I'm very opposed to that. If we're letting Ward walk, I'd rather roll with Moore and sign a cheap backup for insurance. 

A veteran option i wouldn't mind is Adrian Phillips from the Chargers. Both as competition with Moore and if he becomes the back-up he can also play SS and we already know Tartt will miss some time.

More I watch Reagor, the more I think he is our pick late in the first round. He has to work on some things for sure but he's explosive and has the build that will make him a factor in the middle of the field. Reagor will be able to stretch the field and can even be used on a lot of those end arounds that we use Deebo on. Imagine Shanny getting creative there? And add in Hurd and it gets super fun! 

Question is we trade down, will he be available say in the mid-2nd round?