2020 Draft Thread

Forge

Serious question...could we play Jones 3 downs splitting between 0/1 tech and 3 tech? His first step explosion was amazing last year and I thought he flashed quite a bit of pass rushing ability with that. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Serious question...could we play Jones 3 downs splitting between 0/1 tech and 3 tech? His first step explosion was amazing last year and I thought he flashed quite a bit of pass rushing ability with that. 

For some plays in a game yeah that would work. I think however it is more about limiting his snaps and keeping him fresh thats more important with a guy as big as Jones. Can't expect him to play every snap at a high level and not getting gassed.

• Like 3

Just now, Justone2 said:

For some plays in a game yeah that would work. I think however it is more about limiting his snaps and keeping him fresh thats more important with a guy as big as Jones. Can't expect him to play every snap at a high level and not getting gassed.

Agreed. I do think he would gas at higher snap counts for sure. 

11 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Though I agree he did flash early on in the season, once Ford came back for the playoffs and SB and he was back to being mostly inside, he didn't look the same. He got pushed around alot in the playoffs & SB. I think the potential is there because like you said, we've seen him flash but he still doesn't get off blocks consistently enough for me to trust him. Much like AA before last season, I could see him being effective but being dominant was a long shot. AA proved me wrong. Maybe Solly can too....we shall see. 

I wasn't calling for him to dominate, just to be a good starting caliber player. 

He does have the physical traits needed to be an absolute force inside. He is absurdly strong. He is quick. He can be a touch stiff at times but I think he understands the opportunity in front of him and will have a different approach this year. 

I agree he has had some issues shedding blocks at times. I have seen him completely stop moving forward but keep his hands on a lineman in front of him. I think some of that is schematic, the rest of our DL goes upfield so much that I suspect there were times we asked him to stay near the Los to play contain up the middle. Just felt like there was no sense of urgency sometimes and Id like to think that was by design. You don't want everyone going too far upfield. I think that was the genius with our rush last year, Kocerick would design it so that we would flush a QB one way and then have snakes laying in the weeds on the other side. As Saleh says "it all ties together". I'm not certain of this it's just what I suspect

LIS, he's been a tweener who hasnt gotten to play one position only. We were asking too much from the guy. Give him one job and let him perfect it and I expect he will surprise some people 

Contract year voodoo 

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I love DJJ. I really hope we lock him up this off-season. He was so good. I just watched that first green Bay game again, holy smokes that guy looked like Aaron Donald out there

The only problem with playing him at 3tech is who is going to play nose? We have no one else. I guess street could? 

We rotate guys, so I'm sure mostly everyone will play everywhere at some point 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N4L said:

The only problem with playing him at 3tech is who is going to play nose? We have no one else. I guess street could? 

Which is why I don't understand why we were not in on some of those bargain basement deals @DT. Shelton in particular, would have been a great signing for us. Would have allowed Jones to play some snaps@3T.

2 hours ago, N4L said:

I love DJJ. I really hope we lock him up this off-season. He was so good. I just watched that first green Bay game again, holy smokes that guy looked like Aaron Donald out there

I thought the same thing about DJ Jones. I think we should lock him up to a 3-4 year deal this offseason because he has a chance to become a LOT more expensive next. 

• Like 2

Haven’t read further back than this page but it sounds like we are along the same lines of thinking. DJ Jones should get his time to shine now with likely increased playing time. I was wondering where everyone’s head is at with our two 1sts? I’m thinking a trade down with at least one of them is highly likely to recoup some day two picks and/or mid round picks. But if we do keep both where y’all going with them? IOL, IDL, CB, S, WR? Those are the obvious needs in no specific order but personally would love to see the offense get addressed. 

7 hours ago, N4L said:

Taylor is the back up nose tackle. Street is strong enough, but frankly, I don't know that he's any good. He has never looked good, even in preseason. I'm not sure he makes the roster this year. I suppose it depends on Givens' development. That being said, he could still play the nose on base downs; we don't really have on passing downs, and I believe they are often shaded more towards a 1 tech rather than a traditional 0 tech. But I'm really wondering if he's not our best interior pass rusher at this point. 

I wouldn't be overly concerned about an NT spot. These are generally easier to find if you just need them to eat space and double teams and work against the run. And they are cheap in free agency. Honestly, just look at how well Earl Mitchell did last year coming in. Granted, he was super fresh, but he also isn't very good, and I thought he did very well after being signed late in the year. 

But a NT is easily something you could land in round 5; I mean, can Leki Fotu get drafted in round 5 and just play that role as a rookie? He won't give us advanced stuff as a rookie, but can he function? I don't see why not. There are also some interior guys that are going to have to take a cheap one year deal left. 

My biggest concern would be as mentioned earlier, I think he will gas.

19 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I'm higher on Lamb than Crocker, but I could see some of the concerns he has. But the fact he is so good catching balls in tight coverage is a truly Hopkins-esque. Jeudy being #1 is obviously perfectly fine and Riggs does have really good ability to go along with has speed. I wonder what he feels about Mims? 

• Like 1

I'm supposed to be working from home today, but instead, I've been binging Jeudy and Lamb highlights all morning and whoooooo boy, I'm crushing hard on those two. 

Here's some of my observations of those two:

Jeudy

So smooth. In his routes and with the ball in his hands, he's a true playmaker. He can separate with his routes and with his athletism, which is VERY appealing for the Niners' offense. He's got some great hands, too. Not a body catcher and he looks the ball in a lot. He trusts his athletism so much, that doesn't need to sacrifice his attention to catching in exchange for paying more attention to what he wants to do with the ball in his hands. I feel like drops sometimes is a result of that, and I'm not seeing much of that with him. 

He's not much of a 50/50 jump ball kind of WR, but I've watched him run several different kinds of routes and he's just so fluid in them and has a great understanding of where to bait defenders in the route to gain some extra space. The nuance of his game is astounding. Not only is he deadly in the underneath game and intermediate game, he also had the speed and separation ability to stretch the defense vertically. 

I think his major downfall is that he doesn't have a ton of functional strength. His game is clearly playing "keep away" from defenders, which breaks from the mold we seem to be developing with Kittle and Deebo. Jeudy doesn't strike me as someone who will fight for extra yards like those two, but that doesn't mean he's not going to be a YAC monster. He wins in a different way. I do worry about physical DBs who get their hands on him at the line, or bully him within the first 5 yards. It's not a huge concern of mine, but if I had to point out his weakness, it would be this.

I see Jeudy as someone who could step on the field day 1 and provide high-level production without much ramp-up time to get acclimated.

Lamb

Even though Lamb is only a few eights taller, a few pounds heavier, and have slightly longer arms and bigger hands than Jeudy, their game couldn't be more different. Lamb plays like he's 6'5 230 lbs and I think he truly believes that he is. I love Lamb's YAC ability and he shows more wiggle than I thought he had. He does like to get into those contested-catch situations over the middle, but as soon as the ball is in his hands, he's looking upfield to get the most out of the play. I think his toughness is more akin to the "Niner Way" in running through people rather than around them. 

I love how strong his hands are and looks like a very reliable receiver. He attacks the ball well and knows how to leverage his body to win. We know Jimmy G doesn't always put the ball right on the WR, and Lamb is going to be able to hand just about any thrown his way. Lamb isn't super fast and has been caught from behind on occasions, but he's still a very effective runner with the ball in his hands. 

My biggest concern with Lamb is his route running. He's not a terrible route runner and not an extremely limited one, either. But, he compared to Jeudy, he's not on Jeudy's level with this. I think he could struggle a bit with separation, but he does have the skill set to handle that well with his contested catch ability. 

I think Lamb would fit well within the Niners offense, but I think there would be a little more ramp-up time with him compared to Jeudy. With that said, I think Lamb could be a very effective WR long term with this team.

Honestly, I love both of these guys and would be so happy to either one. 

• Like 4

Watching Wirfs, I would love to get him at #13. I don't know if he is my #1 option yet, but man this guy can play. Has the type of athleticism Shanny looks for. He's taller than the guards we have, but I don't see why he couldn't play guard until being shifted to tackle. We get Wirfs, then this is a top 5-7 OL in the game. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Watching Wirfs, I would love to get him at #13. I don't know if he is my #1 option yet, but man this guy can play. Has the type of athleticism Shanny looks for. He's taller than the guards we have, but I don't see why he couldn't play guard until being shifted to tackle. We get Wirfs, then this is a top 5-7 OL in the game. 

I could get excited about Wirfs if Lamb was gone. Or even if he wasn’t. As soon as I got through mourning.