2020 Draft Thread

Forge

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yeah, I think we’re all pleasantly surprised and Skule and Brunskill, and honestly both are probably close to locking up jobs as long term utility depth in the NfL. But quality, long term, elite tackle (or even IOL) play is not something I expect from them. I think they’re both basically mike person in that they’re  A+ depth, but average-ish at best starters. Brunskill is intriguing but I think shanny places a ton of emphasis on tackle play and given how traumatic tbe injuries have been there, for multiple years, I really think they take a shot at a tackle with one of our first picks. 

I think it really depends on how they feel about Skule moving forward, and they are getting an extended chance to look at him. If they really like him and are truly impressed with how he plays (not just the typical, effusive coach speak to the media), I don't think that they'll burn a pick that high on a tackle just because the team is highly unlikely to carry 4 tackles for the most part, especially when Brunskill is actually a back up guard, I believe, who just happens to be able to play tackle. If they are comfortable with Skule in the swing tackle role, I think that they'll leave that be. 

6 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Sure wouldn't mind CeeDee Lamb becoming a 9er... But we have got to get some more OL talent.

This would be who I'm hoping for too at this point, dude looks like DeAndre Hopkins clone. 

• Like 1

If your'e looking for secondary help, Jevon Holland is the best i've seen in the PAC12 in a while. His season is probably over due to a leg injury so maybe he slides to the back half of the 1st but the dude is a top 10 player imo. 

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think it really depends on how they feel about Skule moving forward, and they are getting an extended chance to look at him. If they really like him and are truly impressed with how he plays (not just the typical, effusive coach speak to the media), I don't think that they'll burn a pick that high on a tackle just because the team is highly unlikely to carry 4 tackles for the most part, especially when Brunskill is actually a back up guard, I believe, who just happens to be able to play tackle. If they are comfortable with Skule in the swing tackle role, I think that they'll leave that be. 

Maybe.  Unless Skule and/or Brunskill play at a very, very high level until the incumbents come back, they will/should factor into the decision making in the up coming draft when it comes to top end talent. Staley is a much bigger factor in determining what we do come april. If Staley retires, We're looking at McG and Skule as our starters with Coleman being the swing and Brunskill being the super utility. Though it's looked ok so far, I just still am not encouraged or content with that being the long term plan. I want elite bookend tackles for JImmy anda this offense and I think they want that too. Maybe Skule is that guy, I hope so, but I'm not banking on it. That said< i don't see us spending our first rounder and an OT, but I could absolutely see us spending our third on one. What would be best is a trade back, Seahawks style and possibly get out of the first and acquire a lot of picks. The holes are going to start coming and we only have so many fingers to plug them with, trade back could help alleviate this. 

Given how this year has gone, this is the most confident I've ever been in our staff and their ability to pick and develop talent. Get more bullets and we can transition into being routine contenders. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John232 said:

Maybe.  Unless Skule and/or Brunskill play at a very, very high level until the incumbents come back, they will/should factor into the decision making in the up coming draft when it comes to top end talent. Staley is a much bigger factor in determining what we do come april. If Staley retires, We're looking at McG and Skule as our starters with Coleman being the swing and Brunskill being the super utility. Though it's looked ok so far, I just still am not encouraged or content with that being the long term plan. I want elite bookend tackles for JImmy anda this offense and I think they want that too. Maybe Skule is that guy, I hope so, but I'm not banking on it. That said< i don't see us spending our first rounder and an OT, but I could absolutely see us spending our third on one. What would be best is a trade back, Seahawks style and possibly get out of the first and acquire a lot of picks. The holes are going to start coming and we only have so many fingers to plug them with, trade back could help alleviate this. 

Given how this year has gone, this is the most confident I've ever been in our staff and their ability to pick and develop talent. Get more bullets and we can transition into being routine contenders. 

I just can't see Staley retiring though...not after signing the extension this year for another two years. I agree that if he did...we are going to struggle with what we currently have. But I'd be really, really shocked if he did that after signing the extension. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I just can't see Staley retiring though...not after signing the extension this year for another two years. I agree that if he did...we are going to struggle with what we currently have. But I'd be really, really shocked if he did that after signing the extension. 

Yeah. my thinking is basically along the same lines. Really can't see him retiring. Dude has been working his whole life towards building a team culture like this, one that is sustainable at that. He adores this current regime, so I could see him sticking this out for at least one more year. 

I think a DB is more than likely going to be the pick with the amount of turnover there. The other dark horse..defensive line. Just the way everything kind of broke, Blair, AA, Day  and DJ could all get better offers and roles somewhere else. Good problem to have but they might want to do it the Eagles way and just rotate really talented guys through. 

The draft is about get even more important now that we have arrived and will be paying big bucks to certain players. How we draft will determine how long we can keep this thing going. As we know, the Baalke drafts started becoming more and more disgusting which led to the downfall of the team...among other things.

I haven't watched much college football this year due to work, but how is the depth in this draft? Top heavy or deep? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John232 said:

Yeah, I think we’re all pleasantly surprised and Skule and Brunskill, and honestly both are probably close to locking up jobs as long term utility depth in the NfL. But quality, long term, elite tackle (or even IOL) play is not something I expect from them. I think they’re both basically mike person in that they’re  A+ depth, but average-ish at best starters. Brunskill is intriguing but I think shanny places a ton of emphasis on tackle play and given how traumatic tbe injuries have been there, for multiple years, I really think they take a shot at a tackle with one of our first picks. 

I think they're doing well, and it's good to have players that can come in and not be total liabilities, but I feel like Kyle has to shrink down the playbook with these guys in there, and maybe that's why we don't see Jimmy G taking over games, so far. I don't think we're ready to take a T early in the draft this year. I could see going IOL early on, though. I think the FO will feel good with Skule, Brunskill and Shon Coleman going into next year, if Staley is still at the top of his game and willing to play another year. Once we know we have to replace Joe, we'll undoubtedly go T very early.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

FYI, CB Bryce Hall is done for the year as he sustained a gruesome ankle injury last Friday night against Miami. It will definitely drop his draft stock, as there is no timetable on his return as of yet. He had surgery yesterday so that would give him roughly 5 months before the Combine to be ready. I could see him falling to the 3rd or 4th round if he isn't ready by his Pro Day. This isa pretty stacked CB class so that could factor into his slide. That being said, I think he'd be awesome in our scheme and if he were to drop to 3rd, we should definitely pounce. 

I like what you’ve done here. Find the guys who are lost for the season and put them on our radar. We know those are our targets!

12 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I think they're doing well, and it's good to have players that can come in and not be total liabilities, but I feel like Kyle has to shrink down the playbook with these guys in there, and maybe that's why we don't see Jimmy G taking over games, so far. I don't think we're ready to take a T early in the draft this year. I could see going IOL early on, though. I think the FO will feel good with Skule, Brunskill and Shon Coleman going into next year, if Staley is still at the top of his game and willing to play another year. Once we know we have to replace Joe, we'll undoubtedly go T very early.

I agree. Interior O-Line seems much more pressing need, with Tomlinson being a UFA and Person basically being a stop-gap there at the moment. I think the future looks good for Skule holding down the swing tackle position for the near future. But I feel like we need to be looking to groom some heir-apparents@Center and both Guard spots. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I agree. Interior O-Line seems much more pressing need, with Tomlinson being a UFA and Person basically being a stop-gap there at the moment. I think the future looks good for Skule holding down the swing tackle position for the near future. But I feel like we need to be looking to groom some heir-apparents@Center and both Guard spots. 

The entirety of our line is signed through the 2021 season. Richburg is signed through 2022, and McGlinchey has the first round pick option year for 2022. I do agree that Person is more of a stop-gap, though, and it would be nice to sign someone who COULD compete with him for a starting job. But realistically, anyone we draft will initially be for depth purposes unless someone falls off a cliff. 

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

The entirety of our line is signed through the 2021 season. Richburg is signed through 2022, and McGlinchey has the first round pick option year for 2022. I do agree that Person is more of a stop-gap, though, and it would be nice to sign someone who COULD compete with him for a starting job. But realistically, anyone we draft will initially be for depth purposes unless someone falls off a cliff. 

Yep, I'm really only looking for one spot on the interior line - the back up C / G position to replace Garland. Otherwise we will have our 5 starters, Skule as the swing, Brunskill as the G/T reserve, and then you just need someone for that C/G spot. I always like ND products, so Tommy Kraemer is always on my list, but I don't know that he can play center and on the flip side, Jake Hanson is the type of guy that you'd like to have as a back up offensive lineman, but I don't know that he can play guard at the next level. Lloyd Cushenberry could make some sense as a later mid round pick that I think would fit Shanny's scheme reasonably enough. 

@oldman9er you think Cushenberry could be a back up guard at the next level? 

30 minutes ago, Forge said:

@oldman9er you think Cushenberry could be a back up guard at the next level? 

Really couldn't give an informed opinion, tbh. Though I have been watching each game, I have not been watching them with my scouting glasses. 

So, I have not been making mental notes of the OL blocking.. other than obvious stuff... which leaks out of my head moments after the games. Having a lazy season, and not sure I will focus much post SB either. 

• Like 1

So besides WR and OL help what else is everyone thinking as our top needs? Am I the only one still looking to upgrade the S position?

Just in case we lose AA some one like Nick Coe versatility would be a nice replacement to add depth. 

8 minutes ago, sherm said:

So besides WR and OL help what else is everyone thinking as our top needs? Am I the only one still looking to upgrade the S position?

Just in case we lose AA some one like Nick Coe versatility would be a nice replacement to add depth. 

I have WR down the line just from a likelihood scenario. Unless we luck into a stud, or trade up for someone like Jeudy, I just don't see that as an upper echelon draft target at the top. I would like one, as I don't currently love the receivers we have (potential pending), but I just don't know if it's something the team will target. It would be fairly high on my personal list though. 

I've said before that if the team is truly impressed with Skule and what he has done this year replacing Staley, we won't take a tackle that early. You typically only carry three true tackles on the roster, and we have our three for right now, if they really like Skule. Interior offensive line is where it gets interesting. Tomlinson and Person are both solid, if unspectacular. But we can upgrade behind them for sure. But the thing is, because of the ZBS, you can typically find quality guards later in the draft who have that skillset and are overlooked / fall because they lack the true power that a lot of teams want from their interior line to hold up against the big boys that play the interior on the defense. 

Secondary is probably my primary target in the first round. Lots of corners in there that I like. Both OSU guys, Diggs, etc etc. Safety will depend on a couple of factors. If we re-sign Ward again (which honestly, is absolutely possible), than I like Moore as the backup moving forward. I think we aren't completely at a loss if something happens. Tartt is under contract, has been injury prone in the past, but a back up strong safety seems unlikely to see much of the field compared to a corner (even if he's the third string corner and maybe even 4th string). Spoon and Sherm are both ending out their contracts next year, and I don't know how much longer you can pay Sherm. Moseley has played very well and could be the guy that takes over that place, but we still would need some depth there. 

If I had my way, it would be receiver and corner as the secondary targets, but I also still like the idea of trying to acquire a wide receiver already in the NFL, which would alleviate that issue.