2020 Draft Thread

Forge

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Guys we have interviewed via video chat per barrows:

• Ross Blacklock
  • Lynn Bowden 
  • Ezra Cleveland
  • Akeem Davis-Gaither (definite solid sleeper type)
  • Cordel Iwuagwu
  • Daniel Thomas (meh)
  • Kenny Willekes

One of my sleepers@WR. Could develop into something special in a few years. Cleveland is intriguing. Was turning heads at The Senior Bowl.

**Edit** 

I was thinking of Van Jefferson...Cleveland is the O-Lineman. There's another WR from Florida with the last name Cleveland. Got these three confused lmao...

Edited by 757-NINER

4 hours ago, Forge said:

Guys we have interviewed via video chat per barrows:

• Ross Blacklock
  • Lynn Bowden 
  • Ezra Cleveland
  • Akeem Davis-Gaither (definite solid sleeper type)
  • Cordel Iwuagwu
  • Daniel Thomas (meh)
  • Kenny Willekes

DL, WR, OL, LB, OL, S, DE, in that order.

The only one of those I think will go in the 1st round is Blacklock. 

Now, this may not be popular, but I find Willekes to be rather intriguing. He could be decent rotational pass rushing help late in the draft with our Wide 9 (which I think he could benefit from significantly). He needs refinement in his technique, but no one exceeds his effort on every snap. He has an eye for the ball and plays accordingly.

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

DL, WR, OL, LB, OL, S, DE, in that order.

The only one of those I think will go in the 1st round is Blacklock. 

Now, this may not be popular, but I find Willekes to be rather intriguing. He could be decent rotational pass rushing help late in the draft with our Wide 9 (which I think he could benefit from significantly). He needs refinement in his technique, but no one exceeds his effort on every snap. He has an eye for the ball and plays accordingly.

Cleveland may have gotten himself into late first round discussion, but I think that's a mistake and he's ultimately a late second rounder. We would have to take him at 31, which I'm not in on.  

I like Willekes to an extent. Middle round, capped upside, lunch pail guy. I think he'll be reliable, which is nice, just not sure how good. I think he's going to win some at the next level. He moves better than people think

If we go another position other than WR @ 13, I hope it is because this guy is correct: https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/3/29/21198169/is-a-wr-brandon-marshall-clone-hiding-on-the-49ers-roster  

It would be beneficial if the learning curve is really that difficult with Shanahan's O.

Man I wish we had not invested both a 3rd & 4th rounder in a partial year rental of Sanders. >:(

4 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

If we go another position other than WR @ 13, I hope it is because this guy is correct: https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/3/29/21198169/is-a-wr-brandon-marshall-clone-hiding-on-the-49ers-roster  

It would be beneficial if the learning curve is really that difficult with Shanahan's O.

Man I wish we had not invested both a 3rd & 4th rounder in a partial year rental of Sanders. >:(

Problem is, I don't know that you can take that risk at all. Especially in this sort of weird off-season

9 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

This team would be worse if we hadn't, and it was only a 3rd and a swap of picks, which really works out to losing the equivalent of our 6th. Without Sanders, Deebo and Bourne don't grow as players as they did and we likely don't go as far as we did. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Hurd definitely has the skill set to be a starter in the NFL. If he had played this past season at Baylor he would have been the top target again. He could easily be in the same spot Mims is this up coming draft.

10 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I get it from a draft perspective, but if the 49ers didn't make that trade, they wouldn't have made it to the Super Bowl and might've only been a wildcard team. Sanders was needed.

9 hours ago, Forge said:

Problem is, I don't know that you can take that risk at all. Especially in this sort of weird off-season

So if we can't count on a 3rd rd pick from last yr why would I have faith in Kyle/John drafting another wr? 

2017 - Trent Taylor 

2018 - Richie James and Pettis 

2019 - Deebo and Hurd

So you're telling of the 5 wr they have drafted(not even including the pick for Sanders trade) in the last 3 yrs only 1 has a guaranteed starter spot. The last 3 yrs are 2 2nd and 1 3rd rd picks. Those are suppose to be core players for us. Not needing to use a premium pick to fix mistakes. 

20 minutes ago, sherm said:

So if we can't count on a 3rd rd pick from last yr why would I have faith in Kyle/John drafting another wr? 

2017 - Trent Taylor 

2019 - Deebo and Hurd

So you're telling of the 5 wr they have drafted(not even including the pick for Sanders trade) in the last 3 yrs only 1 has a guaranteed starter spot. The last 3 yrs are 2 2nd and 1 3rd rd picks. Those are suppose to be core players for us. Not needing to use a premium pick to fix mistakes. 

I think you're taking his post wrong. He's referring to Hurd's back injury and doesn't think you can count on him being a big factor since none of us thought the seriousness of the injury. Dude missed the entire season and was unable to fly. Hurd will have to prove he is healthy and able to contribute. No one is questioning his talent or potential. 

54 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think you're taking his post wrong. He's referring to Hurd's back injury and doesn't think you can count on him being a big factor since none of us thought the seriousness of the injury. Dude missed the entire season and was unable to fly. Hurd will have to prove he is healthy and able to contribute. No one is questioning his talent or potential. 

Correct. That injury robbed me of any real knowledge of his ability, it's a back injury (which I have stated my concerns with before on other players), so I don't know what or where he is in his ability to contribute at this point. 

1 hour ago, sherm said:

2017 - Trent Taylor 

2019 - Deebo and Hurd

There's a reason the sunk cost fallacy is considered a fallacy. 

• Like 2