2020 Draft Thread

Forge

Just now, 757-NINER said:

How do ppl feel about double dipping along the O-Line in the first round by grabbing a OT@13 and taking Cushenberry@31?? 

Only if Staley for sure retired and won't play in 2020 would I be good with this move. I'm a pretty big fan of OT at #13 or #31 and would be okay with IOL at #31, but the only way I'd consider both is if Staley is gone. Otherwise, one would certainly be a backup all year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

This team would be worse if we hadn't, and it was only a 3rd and a swap of picks, which really works out to losing the equivalent of our 6th. Without Sanders, Deebo and Bourne don't grow as players as they did and we likely don't go as far as we did. 

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I get it from a draft perspective, but if the 49ers didn't make that trade, they wouldn't have made it to the Super Bowl and might've only been a wildcard team. Sanders was needed.

Sorry guys, but I am one of those who would rather not be IN the Super Bowl if we don't win it. I know, spoiled brat of a 9ers fan (thank you so much, Bill Walsh!) but I really do not take losing in the SB well at all. Still cannot re-watch it.

It can be argued it was a swap of picks, but it means we have none until the 5th round, so a very costly partial year rental. Yuck. It also seemed like we made little effort to keep him...just very confused about that as well. Let the picks invested just slip away. :S

I do think, even given the limited snaps available, that Dee Ford was almost worth the 2nd rounder. Not upset about that trade.

10 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

How do ppl feel about double dipping along the O-Line in the first round by grabbing a OT@13 and taking Cushenberry@31?? 

Shameless plug: 

Pretty sure that I do mention on the podcast that I would expect us and do believe we should double dip on offensive line at some point in the draft. 

That being said, I can't do it at 13 and 31. Even if we traded down from like 13 to 21 and secured a 2 + 3 (which is probably too rich). I could take a tackle at 31 (or wherever we end up picking), and then take a guard in like round 4 (Jonah Jackson) and I'm fine with that. There are simply too many places on the roster that could get an immediate injection of talent that we need. Unless Staley retires, there is only one open spot on the line (RG), so you're using a good pick during a super bowl window to cook a player, and that's fairly rare. Teams simply don't operate in that manner more often than not. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sherm said:

Hurd definitely has the skill set to be a starter in the NFL. If he had played this past season at Baylor he would have been the top target again. He could easily be in the same spot Mims is this up coming draft.

Just hope that back heals sooner rather than later....

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Sorry guys, but I am one of those who would rather not be IN the Super Bowl if we don't win it. I know, spoiled brat of a 9ers fan (thank you so much, Bill Walsh!) but I really do not take losing in the SB well at all. Still cannot re-watch it.

It can be argued it was a swap of picks, but it means we have none until the 5th round, so a very costly partial year rental. Yuck. It also seemed like we made little effort to keep him...just very confused about that as well. Let the picks invested just slip away. :S

I do think, even given the limited snaps available, that Dee Ford was almost worth the 2nd rounder. Not upset about that trade.

Either way - Sanders was pivotal in helping Deebo and Bourne develop. Without him, that doesn't happen. What he brought to the team was well worth giving up pick #95 and dropping a bunch of spots from the late 4th to the 5th. 3rd round picks aren't guys that will necessarily do anything, as the other two we have gotten in that late 3rd range - CJ Beathard and Tarvarius Moore - will showcase. I am fine for giving up a player like that for a guy like Emmanuel Sanders, even as a rental. And he's literally one reception away from helping us win a Super Bowl and erasing this discussion from history. 

I would rather we would have re-signed him as well, but I'm not at all upset with that trade and would make it 10x out of 10, even with hindsight. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I actually don't mind it too much but I'd rather a little bit of a trade down to get an extra 3rd or something but if Cushenberry or Ruiz was available at the 2nd rounder? Highly unlikely, I know, but I wouldn't be upset at all.

Edited by Ftn49

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Shameless plug: 

Pretty sure that I do mention on the podcast that I would expect us and do believe we should double dip on offensive line at some point in the draft. 

That being said, I can't do it at 13 and 31. Even if we traded down from like 13 to 21 and secured a 2 + 3 (which is probably too rich). I could take a tackle at 31 (or wherever we end up picking), and then take a guard in like round 4 (Jonah Jackson) and I'm fine with that. There are simply too many places on the roster that could get an immediate injection of talent that we need. Unless Staley retires, there is only one open spot on the line (RG), so you're using a good pick during a super bowl window to cook a player, and that's fairly rare. Teams simply don't operate in that manner more often than not. 

Totally get where you guys are coming from. But honestly, the only real weakness on this team is interior O-Line. That's it. Are there certain areas where we would like more depth and like to add talent? Absolutely. But even if Staley comes back, you give me Becton@RG for a year and Cushenberry as your OC of the future (and current because Richburg hasn't been healthy his entire career) and we're rock solid on both lines for the foreseeable future. 

Just playing devil's advocate here. I know most aren't content with the WRs and want to add a talent from a deep class. But the interior O-Line is one of the main reasons we lost the SB. It was one of our most glaring weakness all last season. I would be content with that line of thinking personally.

14 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Totally get where you guys are coming from. But honestly, the only real weakness on this team is interior O-Line. That's it. Are there certain areas where we would like more depth and like to add talent? Absolutely. But even if Staley comes back, you give me Becton@RG for a year and Cushenberry as your OC of the future (and current because Richburg hasn't been healthy his entire career) and we're rock solid on both lines for the foreseeable future. 

Just playing devil's advocate here. I know most aren't content with the WRs and want to add a talent from a deep class. But the interior O-Line is one of the main reasons we lost the SB. It was one of our most glaring weakness all last season. I would be content with that line of thinking personally.

Really you don't call the starter opposit Deebo a weakness?

On 3/30/2020 at 12:45 PM, sherm said:

He does have the size(6'7) and length(35 arms) that they like. Similar to McG and Skule who Lynch drafted. 

Long arms are great for the trenches. I have a propensity for liking prospects with long arms myself. Aldon Smith was a great example of this. #callmebaalke 
giphy.gif

23 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think you take your chance on getting a good WR late in the first or second round. Like there has been zero difference from 2nd round WRs compared to 1st round WRs in the last six or so years. But as for tackles, I'm not taking that chance. If one falls that you really like, you take it right then and there. Unfortunately, doesn't seem like Wirfs is falling to our spot and that is a big bummer. Oh well, luckily there are some other quality tackles in this draft.

I don't agree with this and I think this is a very general statement. Where was Joe Staley drafted? Where was Orlando Brown drafted? Of course there are going to be busts and steals at the WR position (as well as every other position); the fact is, that your chances at getting superstars go up exponentially the earlier you draft a player (again, regardless of position). 

15 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I don't agree with this and I think this is a very general statement. Where was Joe Staley drafted? Where was Orlando Brown drafted? Of course there are going to be busts and steals at the WR position (as well as every other position); the fact is, that your chances at getting superstars go up exponentially the earlier you draft a player (again, regardless of position). 

That's fine you think that. I stick with what I said. Better chance of getting a WR late in the first round that is a stud or even in the 2nd round opposed to a tackle. Sure you can find late round tackles or those tackles picked in the latter part of the first round that are very good, but we have seen for damn near six or seven years that there has been no difference in taking WRs in the first or second round. I'd take my chances on the 4th or 5th rated WR opposed to the 4th or 5th rated OT. 

38 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Really you don't call the starter opposit Deebo a weakness?

Not really a weakness. Most want a dynamic guy opposite Deebo but I think Bourne will continue to develop if given the opportunity. Needs to clean up the drops. But with Kittle and Deebo getting the bulk of the attention, I think he'll be fine in his role. And its a contract year, so I think he'll really be motivated. I been saying since Shanny became our HC that he'll coax production out of that group, regardless of the perceived talent. And if Jimmy has a clean pocket to step up into, I think that will bare fruit. 

7 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Not really a weakness. Most want a dynamic guy opposite Deebo but I think Bourne will continue to develop if given the opportunity. Needs to clean up the drops. But with Kittle and Deebo getting the bulk of the attention, I think he'll be fine in his role. And its a contract year, so I think he'll really be motivated. I been saying since Shanny became our HC that he'll coax production out of that group, regardless of the perceived talent. And if Jimmy has a clean pocket to step up into, I think that will bare fruit. 

Quote from Barrows last week that amused me...

Grant R. asks via Twitter: Kittle’s contract: Lifetime at whatever he wants or whatever he wants for a lifetime?

I feel like the 49ers could offer him $50,000, two tickets to “WWE RAW” and a lifetime supply of Panda Express and he’d sign within 30 minutes. Luckily, he’s got an agent.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's fine you think that. I stick with what I said. Better chance of getting a WR late in the first round that is a stud or even in the 2nd round opposed to a tackle. Sure you can find late round tackles or those tackles picked in the latter part of the first round that are very good, but we have seen for damn near six or seven years that there has been no difference in taking WRs in the first or second round. I'd take my chances on the 4th or 5th rated WR opposed to the 4th or 5th rated OT. 

My opinion is that we could get Lamb at 13 hopefully and then Austin Jackson at 31 - Jackson is far from polished, but he's got all the raw materials to make an elite tackle. I get what you are saying but to me Lamb / Jackson > Becton / Higgins ( I also really like Higgins, but I don't think he's at the level of Lamb ).