2020 Draft Thread

Forge

34 minutes ago, Forge said:

Perfect fit for shanny

He really is. I love the way he accelerates through his cuts. The only way we are going to draft him is to trade down from either 13 or 31 though. He won't last until the 5th

12 hours ago, Forge said:

Darrynton Evans is the guy that I Had pegged as a Shanny favorite in this draft in the middle late rounds if we wanted to go running back. The versatility as a kick returner is nice. 

I like Evans. But I'd also like to highlight JaMycal Hasty. He's a round 6-7 RB that's on the smaller side, but he's thick for his height (5'8 205). He's lightening quick, pretty good receiver out of the backfield, and apparently loves covering kicks and hitting people. His SPARQ score is 90%, which means he's super athletic for the position. He seems like a smaller version of Mostert with better hands.

For me the late round RB i like is Darius Anderson of TCU. Pretty low mileage but he just makes guys miss for fun. Has a bit of hesitation hitting the holes but i feel thats what Turner can really learn. Also a capable receiver which is a big plus.

Not sure he gets much or any real consideration typed out, but my initial impressions are high of WR Brandon Aiyuk from AZ State.

Pretty much a 1 yr producer after transferring from small school (where he was good). He finally gets consistent opportunities last season, and shows he deserved it.. Experience in K/P returns.. good length and hands. Faster game speed than his 4.50. Shows the burst and vision to be another YAC drool for Shanny. Looks like a first rounder to me, but could get pushed back in such a juicy WR class to begin with. 

He's got some OBJ in him. If we choose to not address a vet WR1, and pass on a WR at 13, it would not displease if he is the choice at 31 or in a 2nd rd trade back. Is he a true WR1? probably no more than Samuel, but I guess with a contract-extended George Kittle, he would make a strong WR2 duo addition with Deebo regardless.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldman9er said:

Not sure he gets much or any real consideration typed out, but my initial impressions are high of WR Brandon Aiyuk from AZ State.

Pretty much a 1 yr producer after transferring from small school (where he was good). He finally gets consistent opportunities last season, and shows he deserved it.. Experience in K/P returns.. good length and hands. Faster game speed than his 4.50. Shows the burst and vision to be another YAC drool for Shanny. Looks like a first rounder to me, but could get pushed back in such a juicy WR class to begin with. 

He's got some OBJ in him. If we choose to not address a vet WR1, and pass on a WR at 13, it would not displease if he is the choice at 31 or in a 2nd rd trade back. Is he a true WR1? probably no more than Samuel, but I guess with a contract-extended George Kittle, he would make a strong WR2 duo addition with Deebo regardless.

I like him and he is definitely a good fit for this offense. Aiyuk and Pittman seem like two Shanahan type of WRs that can be targeted in the 2nd round if we trade down from #31 and decide to go in another direction at #13. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I like him and he is definitely a good fit for this offense. Aiyuk and Pittman seem like two Shanahan type of WRs that can be targeted in the 2nd round if we trade down from #31 and decide to go in another direction at #13. 

Cool. 

I have yet to really look at Pittman, but now he is next for my list. 

My main problem with Aiyuk is if he is not too similar to Deebo. I feel Kyle wants variation in his receivers and i feel they overlap a bit too much. Which is why i think a guy like Ruggs makes a ton of sense to take at 12 even over guys like Jeudy and Lamb.

6 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

My main problem with Aiyuk is if he is not too similar to Deebo. I feel Kyle wants variation in his receivers and i feel they overlap a bit too much. Which is why i think a guy like Ruggs makes a ton of sense to take at 12 even over guys like Jeudy and Lamb.

What makes you think he favors variation in his WRs? is it just the selection of Hurd?

Ruggs; how different is he from Aiyuk, iyo? a bit faster on the stopwatch.. less physical? less RAC ability maybe? 

12 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Much different players in my opinion, Deebo is a short area quickness guy whereas Aiyuk is more a long speed guy

6 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

What makes you think he favors variation in his WRs? is it just the selection of Hurd?

Ruggs; how different is he from Aiyuk, iyo? a bit faster on the stopwatch.. less physical? less RAC ability maybe? 

Mostly in what he has said over the years about liking guys to win the separation battle coupled with the variety of receivers we have added since he has been here. 

Ruggs is insane fast not just on the stopwatch also in game. The guy is a legit WR with insane speed which is killer and a role Shanahan has valued over time. Aiyuk is a great RAC receiver and more physical than him but he ain't gonna run past guys just on speed alone.

1 minute ago, Ftn49 said:

Much different players in my opinion, Deebo is a short area quickness guy whereas Aiyuk is more a long speed guy

For me both are best with the ball in their hands. Do they have differences offcourse but in the base you want to get them the ball and let them work. Can Aiyuk be a deep threat probably yeah but there are other guys who are more fitted for that role that will be available around the same spot. Don't get me wrong i love Aiyuk just like i loved Deebo last year but i feel with us we probably will go a different route when it comes to receivers. That group of receivers that could go bottom first to top/middle second is insanely big and really the difference between them is mostly what role do you want them to play and personal preference.

Ruggs would be awesome in this offense no doubt. LIS, he will be what Goodwin was for us in his first year but better and more physical. Ruggs long speed will open everything up in the intermediate area where Jimmy likes to go to work. Having game changing speed isn't just for deep shots but it also benefits in other areas. If Shanny truly wants a speedster to open this offense up, then he would be the no-brainier choice. But I don't think he is just hellbent on getting a speedster. Having WRs able to win at the LOS and run crisp slants and comeback routes also are huge in this offense and of course having YAC ability. Plenty of WRs fit the bill in what Shanahan is presumably looking for. Can go in a lot of different directions. My initial feeling is they go OT with the first pick if one of the tackles they really like is available. All the WRs this regime has drafted have been from the 2nd round on. Of course things change and this is no longer a rebuilding team, but still think OT with the first pick is the favorite at this moment. 

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

He has generally utilized different types of receivers in the various roles throughout his career. That's why @757-NINER has mentioned that Shanny probably wants a (reliable) deep threat that we aren't getting with Goodwin. One of the regular Washington fans on the forum just posted in our turn in the consensus mock draft in the draft forum that he believes that Shanny has always preferred a vertical deep threat to go along with a RAC bully, so at the very least, the appearance that he wants variation in the receivers is there because multiple people are seeing it in his history. 

That being said, I think the reason Aiyuk is appearing to overlap with Deebo is just because of the RAC, but context matters. Deebo is an actual middle of the field RAC bully. Aiyuk is not - he gets his RAC because of the routes he runs which are mostly geared toward securing large RAC totals regardless of the the player. 

• Like 2

I have a hard time believing Shanny wouldn't like Jeudy's route-running or Lamb's YAC mastery over some of these other WRs. Of course, it all depends on what they REALLY want with #13 AND who is ACTUALLY available, all of which we won't know for another 21 days...sigh.

But no one runs routes like Jeudy or gets YAC like Lamb. Those two are so far above all the others in those aspects. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Barrows did a mock draft:

He has us taking Lamb at 13 with Jeudy going a pick before.

He has us trading 31 and a fifth to Houston for 40 and 90 and selecting Jordan Elliott from Missouri.

Fine by me. I even said if we want to take an IDL, that we can get someone like Elliot with our 2nd pick. 

• Like 1