2020 Draft Thread

Forge

47 minutes ago, N4L said:

If OSU loses its going to be chaos

In the playoff? I don't think so. It'll be Wisconsin or OSU  in the final spot. There are no other viable contenders. And if this game ends up close in the end, I think OSU is just going to get it. If Wisconsin beats them bad, it'll be interesting. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

There's not guarantee that Sanders is back.  If he's back, it wouldn't make sense. If he's not, then I certainly get it. Pettis is a bust. Goodwin will be gone. We have no idea what hurd is. Taylor is a niche receiver who can't stay healthy, and Bourne is a number 4. 

I'm not ready to call Pettis a bust. He flashed enough his rookie season and showed what he can do. But no doubt at this point he can't be relied upon to be a top two WR on the team. He needs to earn it. And this is what Maiocco had to say about Pettis being on the team next year:

The 49ers are not giving up on Dante Pettis, though. They want him to put in the work during the offseason to have a big bounce-back season.

Pettis experienced the same kind of second season as Ahkello Witherspoon. Both players experienced success to ends their rookie seasons and thought they had it figured out.

Witherspoon struggled in Year 2, and realized what he had to do in order to perform at a high level. He came back focused for a strong third season.

The 49ers hope Pettis will make the same kinds of adjustments to his work ethic and mindset to become a reliable receiver in 2020.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/author/matt-maiocco

At this point this is a lost season for him for which sucks, but it is what it is. He needs to come back stronger and in better shape for one, unlike this season and needs to just get better. Has to have the courage to make catches in the middle of the field with Jimmy G as the QB.

As for taking a WR in round one? I think we trade down anyways, but I wouldn't mind that if we lose Sanders. This is a DEEP WR class with a bunch of studs. But I prefer a safety or OL with our first pick. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not ready to call Pettis a bust. He flashed enough his rookie season and showed what he can do. But no doubt at this point he can't be relied upon to be a top two WR on the team. He needs to earn it. And this is what Maiocco had to say about Pettis being on the team next year:

Sure, they won't give up on him. That doesn't mean that they are counting on him or expect him to be a 1 or 2. Those are two very different things. He's a bust so far. That doesn't mean you get rid of him. It does mean that you can't count on him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Sure, they won't give up on him. That doesn't mean that they are counting on him or expect him to be a 1 or 2. Those are two very different things. He's a bust so far. That doesn't mean you get rid of him. It does mean that you can't count on him. 

Correct, you can't just give him a top 2 spot. He was a bust in year two, but definitely not in year one. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Correct, you can't just give him a top 2 spot. He was a bust in year two, but definitely not in year one. 

Speaking of wide receivers, I'll be really curious to see what whether or not anything comes of OBJ. That offense in Cleveland was all sorts of discombobulated, and honestly, it should run through Chubb / Hunt, not Mayfield and the receivers. If he becomes available for like our first round pick, which obviously will be late, will be a very interesting scenario. His salary is only around 14m each year and we know that the staff like him. 

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Speaking of wide receivers, I'll be really curious to see what whether or not anything comes of OBJ. That offense in Cleveland was all sorts of discombobulated, and honestly, it should run through Chubb / Hunt, not Mayfield and the receivers. If he becomes available for like our first round pick, which obviously will be late, will be a very interesting scenario. His salary is only around 14m each year and we know that the staff like him. 

I called that one lol this is what I said in the off-season about what would be said this upcoming off-season 

Josina Anderson interview:

"So how do you like Cleveland?"

"Well... Brown really just isn't my color" 

I'll admit, I was driving the OBJ/AB bandwagon this off-season but I was dead wrong about both guys 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Will be interesting but not sure if they make the move with having to pay our own guys. Like would you rather keep Armstead or get OBJ? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Will be interesting but not sure if they make the move with having to pay our own guys. Like would you rather keep Armstead or get OBJ? 

I was thinking more like, would you rather keep Sanders or get OBJ (the first round pick too...I guess that should be mentioned lol).  I mean, if you're signing Sanders, that should be around 10 million / aav and even the full hit on OBJ is only 14.25. You can find 4.25 million in the couch cushions. You can also restructure OBJ because we only have base salary on the contract. You can seriously convert 12 million of his 14 million base salary next year and have a cap hit of 5 million for the 2020 season. The subsequent years would be a little rougher, but actually still within the high end range for wide receiver contract (18 million dollar cap hits 21-23), you still wouldn't be underwater and could cut him in 2021 with 5 million saved,  so it's really not rough at all. Obj's money is not a problem at all and has a fairly negligible impact if we wanted it to. 

Just now, Forge said:

I was thinking more like, would you rather keep Sanders or get OBJ (the first round pick too...I guess that should be mentioned lol).  I mean, if you're signing Sanders, that should be around 10 million / aav and even the full hit on OBJ is only 14.25. You can find 4.25 million in the couch cushions. You can also restructure OBJ because we only have base salary on the contract. You can seriously convert 12 million of his 14 million base salary next year and have a cap hit of 5 million for the 2020 season. The subsequent years would be a little rougher, but actually still within the high end range for wide receiver contract (18 million dollar cap hits 21-23), you still wouldn't be underwater and could cut him in 2021 with 5 million saved,  it's really not rough at all. 

Well yeah, I'd give up a 1st and pretty much not re-signing Sanders for OBJ. 

That man is built for any system but he would be special with Shanahan. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well yeah, I'd give up a 1st and pretty much not re-signing Sanders for OBJ. 

That man is built for any system but he would be special with Shanahan. 

If there's a time to do it, now would be it. Especially with that kind of financial flexibility. Basically the same running game (take out coleman, run with Breida / Mostert / Wilson just to save a little money), offensive line all coming back, Jimmy G, and then having OBJ / Deebo and Kittle to throw the football too. Yowsers. 

Then this defense? Where I'm still not giving up hope that we have AA on the roster for at least next season? I mean, damn. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

If there's a time to do it, now would be it. Especially with that kind of financial flexibility. Basically the same running game (take out coleman, run with Breida / Mostert / Wilson just to save a little money), offensive line all coming back, Jimmy G, and then having OBJ / Deebo and Kittle to throw the football too. Yowsers. 

Then this defense? Where I'm still not giving up hope that we have AA on the roster for at least next season? I mean, damn. 

At the very least we can tag Armstead for next year. But yeah, I'm down for this if possible. Would be a crazy stacked roster. And then after next year Sherman's contract is up which will open up some room and maybe Staley will be retired. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

There's not guarantee that Sanders is back.  If he's back, it wouldn't make sense. If he's not, then I certainly get it. Pettis is a bust. Goodwin will be gone. We have no idea what hurd is. Taylor is a niche receiver who can't stay healthy, and Bourne is a number 4. 

I disagree. They invested in the position in the first 3 rounds, the past two years. Its time to allocate those resources to other areas I think are more pressing like FS & OG. 

Even if Sanders doesn't comes back, you have enough in-house to still be a great passing offense. Had this been four weeks ago, I may have been more inclined to agree with your reasoning. But I feel like both Deebo & Bourne have stepped up and shown that they can continue to ascend next year. We have a guy in James that should be in line for more time@WR next year also. I think he's earned more snaps on the outside.

Taylor had a freak foot injury that he was actually playing on so I'm not ready to put him in the Ward category of 'oft injured' players just yet. Very possible he bounces back next year and is a valuable cog in our passing game. I'm higher on Hurd than most. I think he'll definitely be in the mix next year and will contribute to the offense in a multitude of ways. And I'm not even going to count Pettis at this point...

I think we'll need to draft a niche type of speed WR in the middle rounds to replace Goodwin. But I feel replacing Person and finding serious competition for Moore@FS are bigger priorities. I'm almost positive Ward won't be back and I don't want us to just hand the position over to Moore. I'd like a talented 1st round pick to come in and make him earn the starting position, while adding some much needed depth there. And I really feel like a upgrade@RG is long overdue. I think the Mike Person's and Ben Garland's of the world were fine when we were aspiring to be a playoff team. Now that we and the rest of the league can see we have a SB type of team, fortifying the interior I think should be a bigger emphasis next draft.