2020 Draft Thread

Forge

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

The closer the draft gets, the less enamored I am with taking a receiver at 13. It's kind of annoying, because I think there's a good chance that it is the most impactful pick available there unless someone like Wirfs falls. I really don't know where else to go though because I don't love Kinlaw for us at this spot. Really hoping we trade down from 13. 

I guess you don't like Henderson enough and expect Okudah to be gone?

I get the feeling that an unexpected OT (yr 1 guard) or WR will be available, and is the likely pick, but who knows which of them the FO will value enough. They probably don't love all the top OL and WRs. 

I'm good with Lamb > Ruggs > Jeudy if they do go WR at 13.

I'm good if they wait till 31 or trade back and go Pittman > Claypool > Jefferson > Aiyuk > Reagor > Mims > Shenault.

No point in banging tables anymore. They not listening. 

Been watching a bit of Greenard this morning. He looks good. Maybe they will like an Edge guy on day 2. 

5 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I guess you don't like Henderson enough and expect Okudah to be gone?

I get the feeling that an unexpected OT (yr 1 guard) or WR will be available, and is the likely pick, but who knows which of them the FO will value enough. They probably don't love all the top OL and WRs. 

I'm good with Lamb > Ruggs > Jeudy if they do go WR at 13.

I'm good if they wait till 31 or trade back and go Pittman > Claypool > Jefferson > Aiyuk > Reagor > Mims > Shenault.

No point in banging tables anymore. They not listening. 

Been watching a bit of Greenard this morning. He looks good. Maybe they will like an Edge guy on day 2. 

Okudah I expect to be gone. Henderson I think is great, I simply do not believe the FO will go corner this early. I think they are happy with eman and spoon

7 hours ago, Forge said:

Okudah I expect to be gone. Henderson I think is great, I simply do not believe the FO will go corner this early. I think they are happy with eman and spoon

Besides Okudah who will be gone this is not a good CB class.

8 minutes ago, Swift21 said:

Hmm, not sure I agree there. 

So now there's stuff floating around twitter that the Niners may or should take a QB at #13. I mentioned a while back when there were Jimmy G rumors going around that Shanny may go in this direction. However, if that was the case, then we wouldn't have turned down Brady. The FO would have traded Jimmy and could have gotten a nice pick while signing Brady to a two year deal and then you can groom the young QB to takeover after Brady's deal was up. Now? It wouldn't make much sense to me since a guy like Love is not going to be ready from day one...or even Herbert. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Hmm, not sure I agree there. 

So now there's stuff floating around twitter that the Niners may or should take a QB at #13. I mentioned a while back when there were Jimmy G rumors going around that Shanny may go in this direction. However, if that was the case, then we wouldn't have turned down Brady. The FO would have traded Jimmy and could have gotten a nice pick while signing Brady to a two year deal and then you can groom the young QB to takeover after Brady's deal was up. Now? It wouldn't make much sense to me since a guy like Love is not going to be ready from day one...or even Herbert. 

I have said it before. The fact we haven't restructured Jimmy's deal which can open up over 15 mil says we aren't comitted to him for the rest of his contract. So really drafting a QB wouldn't be a total suprise to me. Do i want Love? Surely not(unless we can have him at the spot where he will go in FFMD).

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

I have said it before. The fact we haven't restructured Jimmy's deal which can open up over 15 mil says we aren't comitted to him for the rest of his contract. So really drafting a QB wouldn't be a total suprise to me. Do i want Love? Surely not(unless we can have him at the spot where he will go in FFMD).

Lynch mentioned at the combine that they were done restructuring deals and didn't think that was a way to maintain long-term success. While they may not be ALL the way committed to Jimmy G, if a QB was going to be had at #13, then it is unlikely they turn down Brady. Surely Shanny and the crew wouldn't want to go with a rookie QB with a championship caliber roster. Now, can they take a QB in say the 2nd round after trading down? Possibly, but I wouldn't count on that. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lynch mentioned at the combine that they were done restructuring deals and didn't think that was a way to maintain long-term success. While they may not be ALL the way committed to Jimmy G, if a QB was going to be had at #13, then it is unlikely they turn down Brady. Surely Shanny and the crew wouldn't want to go with a rookie QB with a championship caliber roster. Now, can they take a QB in say the 2nd round after trading down? Possibly, but I wouldn't count on that. 

Honestly depends if they feel a year consistency with Jimmy who is already familiar with the system if worth it over signing Brady and changing you offense or have two guys learning the Shanahan offense.

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly depends if they feel a year consistency with Jimmy who is already familiar with the system if worth it over signing Brady and changing you offense or have two guys learning the Shanahan offense.

Just doesn't make sense to me. That would be the perfect time to take raw QB that would need some seasoning before getting thrown to the fire. Then you could get a pick for Jimmy before the draft. Going with a QB at #13 and then keeping Jimmy is meh. Then you lose trade leverage the following year for Jimmy as teams will know he will just be released since the team has their future QB. Now, if Jimmy completely disappoints next year, you can then just release him and then draft a QB in round one. 

Would I be completely shocked? No, I don't think so. I mean, KC went up and got Mahomes when they already had a quarterback I view very similarly to Jimmy in Alex Smith. That being said, Alex was clearly a known commodity at the time. Jimmy has played less than 2 seasons. Yes, he's almost 30, but I think that there is room for mental progression from experience on the field. 

That being said, I mentioned it on one of the recent pods (may have been the one that has yet to be released), but I agree with @Justone2 with regards to the contract. The fact that we were so hard up for money and yet didn't do any sort of restructuring of  Jimmy's contract, instead choosing to restructure Kwon and Richburg (the latter of which was just a pretty poor decision player wise, if you ask me) is super, super interesting. Lynch can say what he wants, but New Orleans has been doing the restructuring thing forever, as has Pitt. The Saints had some struggles in there at one point, but Pitt has been very consistently good. Just about every team does those type of restructures, and restructuring Jimmy would have been a hell of a lot cleaner than they two they did (and let's be frank, you don't have to restructure a specific amount...they could have restructured only an amount of Jimmy's contract that was in line with what they gained from Richburg and Kwon)

But let's say that Cincy takes Burrow one, Miami goes Herbert (rumors they like him more), and Chargers either go tackle or Love (they have been rumors about them crushing on Love for a while), would anyone be super surprised if Kyle snagged Tua? I mean, I kiiiiiiiiiiind of wouldn't? I don't think it's likely, just because I don't think most teams are capable or willing to look around corners like that, but there's still a non zero chance. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Swift21 said:

Don't agree there. I think this is a good corner class at around the 20-40 range. There are some I don't like / think as highly of. Like, I seriously can't believe that Arnette gets high second round love, that's insane to me after watching him at OSU all this time, but I do really like those guys in that fringe first round area. 

Interesting. Allbright has been saying for a while that he is hearing that there are teams in the league that view Ruggs as the #1 WR in this class. But I wonder if a team trades up for him? I can't really think of a team in the top 10 that will take Ruggs. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Interesting. Allbright has been saying for a while that he is hearing that there are teams in the league that view Ruggs as the #1 WR in this class. But I wonder if a team trades up for him? I can't really think of a team in the top 10 that will take Ruggs. 

There are a couple of teams in the top 10 that could use a receiver,  but I'd agree with you that you'd just think their other needs would take priority. I think the closest would maybe be Jax, I guess? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just doesn't make sense to me. That would be the perfect time to take raw QB that would need some seasoning before getting thrown to the fire. Then you could get a pick for Jimmy before the draft. Going with a QB at #13 and then keeping Jimmy is meh. Then you lose trade leverage the following year for Jimmy as teams will know he will just be released since the team has their future QB. Now, if Jimmy completely disappoints next year, you can then just release him and then draft a QB in round one. 

Or you put some pressure on Jimmy and he takes a step forward and you keep him and see what you can get for the QB you drafted 1/2 years down the line. Really Trading Jimmy now and gambling Brady can 1. change scenery and either has to learn a new offense or Shanahan has to change some of his and 2. be better than Jimmy going forward which at his age just simply is a question mark. 

Keeping Jimmy and not even restructuring a bit of his contract(really even a small restructure opens up more than we got from the ones we did) means we either go with Jimmy if he takes a step forward the coming season. Or we can trade him away (does it really lessen what you can get if it is about a starting QB) if the drafted QB shows he is better. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Would I be completely shocked? No, I don't think so. I mean, KC went up and got Mahomes when they already had a quarterback I view very similarly to Jimmy in Alex Smith. That being said, Alex was clearly a known commodity at the time. Jimmy has played less than 2 seasons. Yes, he's almost 30, but I think that there is room for mental progression from experience on the field. 

That being said, I mentioned it on one of the recent pods (may have been the one that has yet to be released), but I agree with @Justone2 with regards to the contract. The fact that we were so hard up for money and yet didn't do any sort of restructuring of  Jimmy's contract, instead choosing to restructure Kwon and Richburg (the latter of which was just a pretty poor decision player wise, if you ask me) is super, super interesting. Lynch can say what he wants, but New Orleans has been doing the restructuring thing forever, as has Pitt. The Saints had some struggles in there at one point, but Pitt has been very consistently good. Just about every team does those type of restructures, and restructuring Jimmy would have been a hell of a lot cleaner than they two they did (and let's be frank, you don't have to restructure a specific amount...they could have restructured only an amount of Jimmy's contract that was in line with what they gained from Richburg and Kwon)

But let's say that Cincy takes Burrow one, Miami goes Herbert (rumors they like him more), and Chargers either go tackle or Love (they have been rumors about them crushing on Love for a while), would anyone be super surprised if Kyle snagged Tua? I mean, I kiiiiiiiiiiind of wouldn't? I don't think it's likely, just because I don't think most teams are capable or willing to look around corners like that, but there's still a non zero chance. 

You are IMO trying to put two different things together and coming to a conclusion. The team very well may be in a wait and see approach with Jimmy and want to have the flexibility to get rid of him if they don't think he is the QB they want going forward. However, if the team was going to go QB early in the draft, then they went about it the wrong way....Unless they can possibly find a trade partner for Jimmy during the draft. I mean they can I guess draft a QB, and in this scenario Tua, and keep Jimmy for a year and then go from there. But I don't see it. If Brady was the choice, then I would even expect a QB at #13.