2020 Draft Thread

Forge

5 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I disagree. They invested in the position in the first 3 rounds, the past two years. Its time to allocate those resources to other areas I think are more pressing like FS & OG. 

Even if Sanders doesn't comes back, you have enough in-house to still be a great passing offense. Had this been four weeks ago, I may have been more inclined to agree with your reasoning. But I feel like both Deebo & Bourne have stepped up and shown that they can continue to ascend next year. We have a guy in James that should be in line for more time@WR next year also. I think he's earned more snaps on the outside.

Taylor had a freak foot injury that he was actually playing on so I'm not ready to put him in the Ward category of 'oft injured' players just yet. Very possible he bounces back next year and is a valuable cog in our passing game. I'm higher on Hurd than most. I think he'll definitely be in the mix next year and will contribute to the offense in a multitude of ways. And I'm not even going to count Pettis at this point...

I think we'll need to draft a niche type of speed WR in the middle rounds to replace Goodwin. But I feel replacing Person and finding serious competition for Moore@FS are bigger priorities. I'm almost positive Ward won't be back and I don't want us to just hand the position over to Moore. I'd like a talented 1st round pick to come in and make him earn the starting position, while adding some much needed depth there. And I really feel like a upgrade@RG is long overdue. I think the Mike Person's and Ben Garland's of the world were fine when we were aspiring to be a playoff team. Now that we and the rest of the league can see we have a SB type of team, fortifying the interior I think should be a bigger emphasis next draft.

I don't understand how you would post this but then don't understand how it's not reasonable (with reasonable being the key word) that they would go wide receiver? You're basically just advocating the same thing at different positions. Looking for competition at RG and Safety. If we drafted a wide receiver (again, assuming that Sanders doesn't resign), you're doing it for competition. The only difference is that you're hopeful for the wide receivers, which I get, but it's seriously the same logic. If it's reasonable that they would spend that pick on competition on RG and S for the guys who would be slated to start moving forward, it's absolutely reasonable that they would do the same with wide receiver where nobody but Deebo has been able to step up. 

And the previous draft capital spent is always a bad argument, to be perfectly honest. It's a sunk cost.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't understand how you would post this but then don't understand how it's not reasonable (with reasonable being the key word) that they would go wide receiver? You're basically just advocating the same thing at different positions. Looking for competition at RG and Safety. If we drafted a wide receiver (again, assuming that Sanders doesn't resign), you're doing it for competition. The only difference is that you're hopeful for the wide receivers, which I get, but it's seriously the same logic. If it's reasonable that they would spend that pick on competition on RG and S for the guys who would be slated to start moving forward, it's absolutely reasonable that they would do the same with wide receiver where nobody but Deebo has been able to step up. 

And the previous draft capital spent is always a bad argument, to be perfectly honest. It's a sunk cost.

I'm looking at it in terms of roster depth. If you make Moore the de facto starter@FS once Ward bolts, who's his back-up?? There's no other FS than Moore on the roster once Ward leaves. Reed neede to stay@nickel CB. Maybe you find a cheap vet in free agency but there's a talent void there once Ward leaves. I'm not saying draft a FS just for competition purposes....no. I'm saying I want a top tier talent at the position to eventually be the starter but also give Moore some comp, as I don't want to just hand him the starting role. 

I think with as much as we've invested in the position already and the number of young WRs we already have, I dont feel its wise for us to use 1st round pick on yet another young WR. If you say we need to go out and re-sign Sanders or bring in another vet with tread still left on the tires to round out the group, coo....I can get behind that. But to go through the growing pains of incoperating yet another young WR, when we have a slew of those who we're currently going through that process with, doesn't make sense to me. I think the young core we have with Samuels, Bourne, James, Taylor and Hurd is young and talented enough. If you want to add a niche type of speed receiver later in the draft I can understand that. But drafting a WR in the first implies you expect him to play early and often. And adding that player to this mix of young WRs already here just doesn't move the needle for me. And I don't necessarily think it help this passing game the way most are envisioning. 

Edited by 757-NINER

I;d rather keep Manny Sanders, and use that 1st rd pick on a trade back or different spot like EDGE or DB. 

We see what we now have in baby Samo (high-end 2) and Bourne (high-end 3). Sanders (coupled with Kittle) is a 1. 

Bring in a guy to compete, sure.. and I wouldn't hate a late 1st WR... just not a must, if Sanders comes back.

Just now, oldman9er said:

I;d rather keep Manny Sanders, and use that 1st rd pick on a trade back or different spot like EDGE or DB. 

We see what we now have in baby Samo (high-end 2) and Bourne (high-end 3). Sanders (coupled with Kittle) is a 1. 

Bring in a guy to compete, sure.. and I wouldn't hate a late 1st WR... just not a must, if Sanders comes back.

Now that you mentioned it, I wouldn't mind another DE in the first. Ford has been hurt virtually his entire pro career. Not sure you can ever really count on him to play a full 16 game season. Bosa has injury history as well so I wouldn't mind adding another talent there to take over for Ronald Blair. One that we could potentially mold into a starter opposite Bosa. Makes alot of sense...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 757-NINER said:

Now that you mentioned it, I wouldn't mind another DE in the first. Ford has been hurt virtually his entire pro career. Not sure you can ever really count on him to play a full 16 game season. Bosa has injury history as well so I wouldn't mind adding another talent there to take over for Ronald Blair. One that we could potentially mold into a starter opposite Bosa. Makes alot of sense...

see? i'm not as dumbe as i look. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611ed330715627fbdeafc

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Yeah if we bring back Sanders I don't see 1st rd...not to mention we have Hurd and Taylor still on the shelf. Besides this draft is Deep. There will be some good talent on day 3.

• Like 1

I'm honestly not sure what I think we should do. Combination of who knows where we pick at this point and I'm so unused to not having huge holes to fill. 

I think the biggest thing to me is we have to figure out a way to keep AA.

Maybe one of the OTs that fall, Grant Delpit possibly if he falls, unlikely he falls as far as us but he's not had the best year. I could see us taking a reciever that falls too.

8 minutes ago, Ftn49 said:

I'm honestly not sure what I think we should do. Combination of who knows where we pick at this point and I'm so unused to not having huge holes to fill. 

I think the biggest thing to me is we have to figure out a way to keep AA.

Maybe one of the OTs that fall, Grant Delpit possibly if he falls, unlikely he falls as far as us but he's not had the best year. I could see us taking a reciever that falls too.

It's a really an impossible question to answer right now because we have so many moving parts and we really don't know who's coming back. Thankfully, free agency happens first. 

My hope is OL but yeah, depends who we resign and who we go out and get. I’d prefer interior line, but if a future starting LT drops to us, I’m good with it cuz Staley’s got no more than a year left. 

But really, this is a great, yet unfamiliar spot for this team. Truly can go BPA. I mean, I’d be good with pretty much everything besides QB if we felt like we were really getting someone who can contribute. 

1 minute ago, straighthate said:

My hope is OL but yeah, depends who we resign and who we go out and get. I’d prefer interior line, but if a future starting LT drops to us, I’m good with it cuz Staley’s got no more than a year left. 

I kind of want to give Brunskill a shot at being the tackle of the future. I mean, he was damn impressive this year. Limited sample size for sure, but it was definitely worth investigating more in. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

I kind of want to give Brunskill a shot at being the tackle of the future. I mean, he was damn impressive this year. Limited sample size for sure, but it was definitely worth investigating more in. 

He has been great. I’m far from an OL scout, but I don’t see elite quickness or strength from him. Feel like with a bigger sample size he’ll come back down to earth. Maybe it’s just that I question if he was as good as he’s played why did he go unnoticed to the extent he did. But hey, I hope he is that diamond in the rough. 

6 minutes ago, straighthate said:

He has been great. I’m far from an OL scout, but I don’t see elite quickness or strength from him. Feel like with a bigger sample size he’ll come back down to earth. Maybe it’s just that I question if he was as good as he’s played why did he go unnoticed to the extent he did. But hey, I hope he is that diamond in the rough. 

He didn't really go unnoticed, he just went undrafted. He did go to camp and was on a PS then went to the AAF, however. Alex Boone did it that way, so you just never know. The offensive system he plays in here probably helps a lot, tbh. 

Important to note that he was super raw and changed to Oline pretty late in his football career, I'm pretty sure. I think it was in college. 

Honestly, I'm still hoping for a small trade down. It sucks, because you're losing the fifth year option, but I do think that we need to have a couple more draft picks to supplement the big dollars we are going to be paying guys like Buck & Kittle (not to mention if we find ways to keep guys like AA or Sanders around). 

After that, it really depends on what we are able to bring back. I think that there are a lot of options on the table. The thing with interior line I'll be curious about is whether or not we would value it high enough to put a first round pick on it. You can typically find ZBS blockers later in the mid rounds as they tend to slip from having glaring weaknesses in their game (strength) and being scheme dependent. So just from an asset capitalization standpoint, I'd be slightly surprised by an interior offensive lineman at that point, but at the same time, there aren't a lot of top end roster holes on this team, so it makes just as much sense as most, I think.  

But I could absolutely see pass rusher. I could see receiver if Manny isn't back, though as someone else mentioned, this is a draft that is absolutely stacked at the position. I could see safety (hesitant on corner...I'd probably move that down the board with the emergence of Moseley and given that all 4 of our guys are back next year). If we aren't a believer in Brunskill moving forward, I could see tackle. This draft is top heavy in that regard as well, so you may be able to land a good one there at the back end of the first. 

• Like 1

FWIW, I haven't really looked at mock drafts at all yet this season (kind of fun to not having to be looking forward to the draft in October, which is probably why this thread is only 7 pages right now lol), but I decided to give them a look to see what was what. 

Ben Solak: Has us drafting last in the first round, going IOL with one of @Chrissooner49er's boys in Creed Humphrey (draft dated today) 

Jonah Tuls (draft dated 12/5): Had us drafting 30th, also has us taking Humphrey. 

Jordan Reid (draft dated 12/2): Drafting 31st, WR Jalen Reagor, TCU. 

Walter (draft dated 12/4): Drafting 30th, CB CJ Henderson, Florida

Charlie Campbell (draft dated 12/6): Drafting 30th, CB Paulson Adebo, Stanford

Drafttek (draft dated 11/27): Drafting 30th, Wr Tyler Johnson, Minnesota

Sporting News (draft dated 12/9): LB Dylan Moses, Alabama 

Dane Brugler (12/4): 30th, S Grant Delpit, LSU (his play has not been good this year despite playing on LSU, and I'm not sure I'd want him as the guy tasked with replacing Ward, but interesting decision if he's there). 

Matt Miller (12/4): 30th, Xavier McKinney, S Alabama