2020 Draft Thread

Forge

3 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I would take Tee Higgins over Mims every day of the week. I get the appeal with Mims, but at this point he’s more of an athlete than a football player. 

I can definitely see taking Higgins over Mims, for some reason, I see Higgins as a BOOM or Bust prospect. I like the downfield aspect to his game and the fact he can play all the WR positions, just something about his game just doesnt impress me, not sure what it is.

Just now, Gore Whore 21 said:

I would take Tee Higgins over Mims every day of the week. I get the appeal with Mims, but at this point he’s more of an athlete than a football player. 

I think Metcalf is a great comp for Mims. They are extremely similar with the exception of Mims' ability to move laterally better than Metcalf.

Higgins remindes me a little of Keenan Allen or Mike Evans in that he's a 50/50 guy with ups. He's got rock solid hands and can be a real nice possession WR. Higgins isn't going to be a YAC monster and isn't going to take the top off the defense, but he will move the chains and come up clutch with big contested catches. 

So, it's really which type of WR do you want? A raw, athletic freak who probably won't be able to be an immediate realiable contributor, or the less athletic more proven receiver who has a lower ceiling, but is less likely to bust.

39 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I agree Kinlaw is kinda a Boom or Bust prospect, but a booming Kinlaw could cancel out the Buckner loss, his game film is still impressive.

I've said it before, but my issue with Kinlaw isn't that I don't like him as a prospect. It's largely that I don't like him as a prospect for us. I think he's a dude that on a team like ours is nothing more than a minor rotational guy and he's not a major impact player for a super bowl team. I think he's an impact for a crappy team because they are a crappy team and they dno't have the players. 

I don't think Kinlaw holds up well against the run starting out, and I don't think that he comes in and tears it up as a pass rusher. If we draft him, I think he's a 25% snap count guy with minimal impact throughout the year, to be honest. 

He's a longer term pick, which is fine if that is what you want. BUt I Think there are a lot of guys in that area who have much greater initial impact (not unimportant for a team in a super bowl window) and similar long term projections. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

Gordon had one magical year, yes. Kendall Wright was okay for a year, then out of the league at 28. Corey Coleman was one of the tremendously bad first round receiver busts. We will see what happens with Hurd (side note, did anyone hear Brian Peacock hint that Hurd may never play on the locked on NFL draft podcast? WTH is that? Is that for real?). Terrance Williams was actually pretty solid for where he was drafted (even though he basically was what you think of when you think of Baylor receivers). The Baylor history isn't ideal, but a lot of that is due to the way that Gordon dismantled his own career. If he had just been an awesome receivers, I think the optics look better. But I definitely get the skepticism with regards to Baylor receivers high on the list. 

They are typically insanely raw because they have no real coaching with regards to actually being a receiver. They are athletes asked to catch the football (now we have gone through different staffs, so we will see if that continues)  

Gordon without the one great year was still fine. 

Again, rate the particular prospect in what he is. I don't care what Gordon or Wright or Hurd did compared to Mims. You look at Mims skill set and ability and rate him off that. 

And the system Baylor ran this year wasn't even close to being the same as the RG3 days or even after that. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

23 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I can definitely see taking Higgins over Mims, for some reason, I see Higgins as a BOOM or Bust prospect. I like the downfield aspect to his game and the fact he can play all the WR positions, just something about his game just doesnt impress me, not sure what it is.

I don’t either haha. I see it as the exact opposite. I think Higgins is far safer than Mims. Higgins has a huge wingspan, excels at making contested catches, and has crazy body control. I think at worst with Higgins you’ve got a very solid player, if he reaches his potential he could be a player much like AJ Green. Mims could be Brandon Marshall or he could be Stephen Hill. 

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

They are typically insanely raw because they have no real coaching with regards to actually being a receiver. They are athletes asked to catch the football (now we have gone through different staffs, so we will see if that continues)  

This is EXACTLY why I am not interested in Baylor WRs in the 1st round. Former Sooner WRs may not have set the NFL on fire, but they have a MUCH better track record than Baylor. 

Yes, a bit of conference rivalry there. Just a bit, though. I reserve most for Texas. Oklahoma State is so cute thinking they have a rivalry with big brother. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

We will see what happens with Hurd (side note, did anyone hear Brian Peacock hint that Hurd may never play on the locked on NFL draft podcast? WTH is that? Is that for real?)

Hurd wasn't cleared to fly on the team plane to the SB in late January. If you can't even fly 5 months after your back injury....how will it hold up to the stress of a NFL season 7 months later? 

He may have a more serious injury than let on....

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

Hurd wasn't cleared to fly on the team plane to the SB in late January. If you can't even fly 5 months after your back injury....how will it hold up to the stress of a NFL season 7 months later? 

Yeah, and he totally mentioned it just in passing..they didn't commit anything to it, but he basically just dropped the bomb like "oh, and there is talk that Hurd may never play" and then they just continued on lol. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, and he totally mentioned it just in passing..they didn't commit anything to it, but he basically just dropped the bomb like "oh, and there is talk that Hurd may never play" and then they just continued on lol. 

Lol I've been saying we can't count on Hurd or Taylor. Assume we don't get anything out of them. This is why I think we go WR at 13.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

https://www.49ers.com/news/john-lynch-nfl-combine-draft-free-agency-sanders-garoppolo-staley-mckinnon

Jalen Hurd Update

San Francisco's third-round pick missed the entire 2019 season while dealing with a stress fracture in his lower back. According to Lynch, the 49ers are hopeful Hurd will be cleared for offseason workouts in April.

"Jalen had that stress fracture deal and for it to completely heal, it happens on different timelines," Lynch said. "We found that his has been stubborn. We think we're nearing towards a much better place to where he'll be cleared for all activities. I don't want to officially give that word but there's some recent scans and things that give us a lot of hope that that's going to be the case. And come April 1 for our offseason program he'll be a full go."

Funny how everyone is running with the missed SB narrative yet disregard the last thing Lynch said. Hurd was never gonna play in the SB so what's the point of having him travel if everyone(Hurd, doctors and team) included wanted to be super cautious about his injury. If he's ready to go full speed by the time TC opens up...I don't really care he missed all last yr. 

5 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Lol I've been saying we can't count on Hurd or Taylor. Assume we don't get anything out of them. This is why I think we go WR at 13.

Taylor I agree. We're not really invested in his health. Hurd on the other hand was a 3rd rd pick last yr. My guess is Lynch and Kyle will have Hurd medical charts top of mind when discussing how early to draft a wr. If they believe he's cleared(or will be shortly) we might wait till pick 31 or later. If they have their doubts or flat out know he's not gonna be ready than I expect pick 13 to be WR or at worst pick 31. 

• Like 1

I just did a mock on TDN and I had Wirfs and Lamb left on the board at 13. I was struggling to choose, but I ended up going with Lamb. I know we need a tackle in case of Staley peacing out, but damn, how do I say no to Lamb??

The more I watch Lamb, the more I think he's on the fast track to be a legit #1 WR. I like Wirfs a lot too and think he's tailor-made for the 49ers, but we've see this team find lineman all over the place and get decent to good value out of them. I'm thinking they could wait and grab a tackle after the 1st.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I just did a mock on TDN and I had Wirfs and Lamb left on the board at 13. I was struggling to choose, but I ended up going with Lamb. I know we need a tackle in case of Staley peacing out, but damn, how do I say no to Lamb??

The more I watch Lamb, the more I think he's on the fast track to be a legit #1 WR. I like Wirfs a lot too and think he's tailor-made for the 49ers, but we've see this team find lineman all over the place and get decent to good value out of them. I'm thinking they could wait and grab a tackle after the 1st.

That could be the ultimate Draft conundrum for me: All should know my bias toward Lamb, but I would also not mind investing in the OL and Wirfs is my fave of all OL prospects.

13 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

That could be the ultimate Draft conundrum for me: All should know my bias toward Lamb, but I would also not mind investing in the OL and Wirfs is my fave of all OL prospects.

I'm not sure which option I would like better for our 1st two picks:

Option 1: WR/OT

Option 2: OT/WR

Option 3: WR/DT

There's just too many options, is it draft day yet??