2020 Draft Thread

Forge

I honestly have no clue who I'd like the Niners to go after, but each week I'm leaning more toward trading out of the 1st and getting some picks back. I really want to see us resign Sanders, sign another vet WR, and maybe trade Pettis. Our window is now and we don't have time for Pettis to decide if he wants to be the man or not. We need some size and experience on the outside. 

• Like 2

Just now, Forge said:

FWIW, I haven't really looked at mock drafts at all yet this season (kind of fun to not having to be looking forward to the draft in October, which is probably why this thread is only 7 pages right now lol), but I decided to give them a look to see what was what. 

Ben Solak: Has us drafting last in the first round, going IOL with one of @Chrissooner49er's boys in Creed Humphrey (draft dated today) 

Jonah Tuls (draft dated 12/5): Had us drafting 30th, also has us taking Humphrey. 

Jordan Reid (draft dated 12/2): Drafting 31st, WR Jalen Reagor, TCU. 

Walter (draft dated 12/4): Drafting 30th, CB CJ Henderson, Florida

Charlie Campbell (draft dated 12/6): Drafting 30th, CB Paulson Adebo, Stanford

Drafttek (draft dated 11/27): Drafting 30th, Wr Tyler Johnson, Minnesota

Sporting News (draft dated 12/9): LB Dylan Moses, Alabama 

Dane Brugler (12/4): 30th, S Grant Delpit, LSU (his play has not been good this year despite playing on LSU, and I'm not sure I'd want him as the guy tasked with replacing Ward, but interesting decision if he's there). 

Matt Miller (12/4): 30th, Xavier McKinney, S Alabama

Really?! I would absolutely love that pick, considering we will likely miss out on CeeDee. I didn't think Creed was eligible...thought he was a Sophomore? Or is he a Red-shirt Sophomore...just looked it up and sure enough. He is a RS Soph. How did I miss that? Yes, I like this guy a lot. Baby face dude who is almost 6'5" and 315 pounds who moves well and gets the cerebral part of the game. He would be good for this Offense. Don't know if he'll declare though....unless I missed something and he already has?

1 minute ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Really?! I would absolutely love that pick, considering we will likely miss out on CeeDee. I didn't think Creed was eligible...thought he was a Sophomore? Or is he a Red-shirt Sophomore...just looked it up and sure enough. He is a RS Soph. How did I miss that? Yes, I like this guy a lot. Baby face dude who is almost 6'5" and 315 pounds who moves well and gets the cerebral part of the game. He would be good for this Offense. Don't know if he'll declare though....unless I missed something and he already has?

I would guess that he'll wait until after the CFP. I'd be a little surprised if he declared as well, to be honest. 

15 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I honestly have no clue who I'd like the Niners to go after, but each week I'm leaning more toward trading out of the 1st and getting some picks back. I really want to see us resign Sanders, sign another vet WR, and maybe trade Pettis. Our window is now and we don't have time for Pettis to decide if he wants to be the man or not. We need some size and experience on the outside. 

He doesnt have the experience but the man you are referring to is Jalen Hurd.

We absolutely need to trade back but we have literally never done it under this regime, so I will believe it when I see it. We have a lot of depth issues honestly. Can we PLEASE make a point to draft guys with ZERO INJURY HISTORY? I dont want anyone who has ever missed a game lol 

Considering how our safe and unspectacular picks have turned into superstars (guys like Kittle and Warner), I'm hoping for a very unsexy draft. Just draft solid talent, and when you have guys like bosa, buckner, etc. On defense, solid talent can look like stars. Pettis looked like he had special skills, but he wasn't all around solid. We've had to hope his special skillset would make him a star, once he developed everything else. Deebo was a solid all around player, and in an offense that features a running game, a superstar in Kittle, and later on Manny Sanders, Deebo is turning into a star, even though he wasn't the sexiest pick at the time. Greenlaw wasn't instantly loved by most, but the guy had talent, and he's looking very good right now. Give me an unsexy pass rusher, defensive back and depth OL and I'll be happy. And the bottom of the first is a great spot to get an unsexy yet solid and effective talent, with a fifth year option tacked on.

• Like 2

Kittle may been have a under-the-radar guy but there were a slew of us who were very high on Warner. Deebo too, though many preferred AJ Brown. Guys like Greenlaw and and James are lower round picks who have been solid thus far so we seem to have a formula there for finding guys later.

They were aggressive early on in the rebuild and gambled on a guy like Foster and saw it back-fire. The roster was different then so they needed to take some chances and infuse some talent into a barren roster. Can't knock them for that....most of us were giddy at the time and said as much. 

Now though, they have formulated a roster talented enough to win it all. Now comes the part where you have to switch gears and supplement a roster with a few rising superstars with solid drafts that builds depth and ties in a succession plan at key positions. This is where Baalke struggled as a GM. Its much easy to find guys when you're picking top 10-15 in every round. Now we have to really comb through and find guys who fit us, culturally and skill-wise. Not a easy task but I'm fairly confident in Lynch and his team. 

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Kittle may been have a under-the-radar guy but there were a slew of us who were very high on Warner. Deebo too, though many preferred AJ Brown. Guys like Greenlaw and and James are lower round picks who have been solid thus far so we seem to have a formula there for finding guys later.

Just to your last point:

George Kittle, Trent Taylor, DJ Jones, Adrian Colbert, DJ Reed, Marcell Harris, Jullian Taylor, Richie James, Dre Greenlaw, Justin Skule. 

^Those are all 5th-7th round picks who carved out a role for themselves of some sort on this team. That's 10 guys that contributed over 3 years from the final 3 rounds. Not even counting all the guys like Breida, Moseley, Mullens, Bourne, etc. who were undrafted. While we might not love the contributions of all of them, and in the case of Colbert have already moved on, that is still super impressive. 

Pita Taumoepenu, Kaden Smith, and Tim Harris. 

Those are the misses. Tim Harris is still around as an injured rookie. Kaden Smith currently has a role on the Giants. But that's it.

Super impressive late round resume. 

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

Just to your last point:

George Kittle, Trent Taylor, DJ Jones, Adrian Colbert, DJ Reed, Marcell Harris, Jullian Taylor, Richie James, Dre Greenlaw, Justin Skule. 

^Those are all 5th-7th round picks who carved out a role for themselves of some sort on this team. That's 10 guys that contributed over 3 years from the final 3 rounds. Not even counting all the guys like Breida, Moseley, Mullens, Bourne, etc. who were undrafted. While we might not love the contributions of all of them, and in the case of Colbert have already moved on, that is still super impressive. 

Pita Taumoepenu, Kaden Smith, and Tim Harris. 

Those are the misses. Tim Harris is still around as an injured rookie. Kaden Smith currently has a role on the Giants. But that's it.

Super impressive late round resume. 

So what you are saying is trade our 1st for OBJ and then hit on some more late round picks this year??? Is that what you're saying????

21 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Well good thing Odell will be in a niners' uniform next year. :D

26 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So what you are saying is trade our 1st for OBJ and then hit on some more late round picks this year??? Is that what you're saying????

If we don't re-sign Sanders and all we are giving up is pick #32, then yes. That's what I am saying. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I think even if we resign Sanders, we should look into Odell this off season. This way there is a plan for when Sanders retires/moves on.

This is where I am out. I can't get behind investing that much in the WR position (already, Bourne gets a much smaller percentage of snaps than the #1 and #2, and that's by system design). We need someone to reliably pair with Deebo. Anything beyond that and we're investing too much in the wrong spots. As it is, I prefer the cheaper Sanders over OBJ. 

With so many guys about to need contracts, it's just too much. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I knew very little about Kittle (hey, that rhymed! :) ) but absolutely loved the pick as soon as I discovered he went to high school in Norman, Ok (where I went to college! BOOMER! ). Probably my 2nd fave 9er, now (after Bosa! :x ). 

Color me one of those so very pumped for Warner. My parents went to BYU, so I watch some games. Warner made so many plays. Might be my 3rd fave 9er, currently. 

I do like Deebo, but count me as one of those so high on AJ Brown. I was convinced he was the best all around WR of this draft. Still think he may be.

Loved the Greenlaw pick even before we knew the high character guy he is. That had to make Lynch pleased when that story came out.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I knew very little about Kittle (hey, that rhymed! :) ) but absolutely loved the pick as soon as I discovered he went to high school in Norman, Ok (where I went to college! BOOMER! ). Probably my 2nd fave 9er, now (after Bosa! :x ). 

Color me one of those so very pumped for Warner. My parents went to BYU, so I watch some games. Warner made so many plays. Might be my 3rd fave 9er, currently. 

I do like Deebo, but count me as one of those so high on AJ Brown. I was convinced he was the best all around WR of this draft. Still think he may be.

Loved the Greenlaw pick even before we knew the high character guy he is. That had to make Lynch pleased when that story came out.

First time I saw Kittle play in a pre season game, I said man this dude is clumsy. 

I was on the Brown train too until I read some scouting reports about his ability to play on the outside

I didn't know much about Greenlaw or Warner but youtube made a believer in both.

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

First time I saw Kittle play in a pre season game, I said man this dude is clumsy. 

I was on the Brown train too until I read some scouting reports about his ability to play on the outside

I didn't know much about Greenlaw or Warner but youtube made a believer in both.

Does anyone remember the criticism the coaching staff gave Kittle after his rookie year for all of the injuries and not toughing it out sometimes? That seems like ages ago with how his career is going lol.

• Like 1