2020 Draft Thread

Forge

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Peter King is someone I take very serious when it comes to his predictions on what the Niners will do in the draft. Him and Maiocco seem to always be the most plugged in. 

Saying that, I would not be all that pleased with the Kinlaw selection. I do not think IDL is that big of a need. HOWEVER, if we do go DT, then please let it be Kinlaw instead of Brown. 

King also called the MM pick so I think we should all be prepared that he could be the pick at 13.

I guess I am torn on what we should do at 13. We need a WR, an OT who can play G/be groom for Staley would be nice too and also IDL.

But from watching his tape, he's closer to Buckner than Brown.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

King also called the MM pick so I think we should all be prepared that he could be the pick at 13.

I guess I am torn on what we should do at 13. We need a WR, an OT who can play G/be groom for Staley would be nice too and also IDL.

But from watching his tape, he's closer to Buckner than Brown.

I'll definitely take Kinlaw over Brown as he has more raw potential and will be the better pass rusher going forward. Still prefer one of the top tackles, Henderson, Jeudy, Lamb etc over Kinlaw though. 

Anyways, McShay thinks now that four QBs can go in the top 10. I think there is a lock for three to be taken but if a team really likes Love, then I guess four is possible. So in that case, before our pick we could see these players taken:

Four QBs

Simmons

Okudah

Brown

Three tackles

Young

That would us the option to take one of the top two WRs or Henderson. Possibly a tackle like Thomas drops which would be awesome. I really wish four QBs do go in the top 10 as that will only drop a stud to our pick. 

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Peter King is someone I take very serious when it comes to his predictions on what the Niners will do in the draft. Him and Maiocco seem to always be the most plugged in. 

Saying that, I would not be all that pleased with the Kinlaw selection. I do not think IDL is that big of a need. HOWEVER, if we do go DT, then please let it be Kinlaw instead of Brown. 

Not necessarily. Brown is more of the space-eating variety. He handles double-teams much better than Kinlaw so if they're looking to free up Armstead@3T, Brown makes more sense. I really like Kinlaw. But he's raw and probably won't have that impact right away. Especially if they want him to play some NT. Brown can hit the ground running. Kinlaw has the bigger ceiling but he also has the bigger bust potential imo. He's more similar to DeFo than Brown. If the report is true and they are looking for more of a space-eater, Brown fits that mold to a T. 

Edited by 757-NINER

Just now, 757-NINER said:

Not necessarily. Brown is more of the space-eating variety. He handles double-teams much better than Kinlaw so if they're looking to free up Armstead@3T, Brown makes more sense. I really like Kinlaw. But he's raw and probably won't have that impact right away. Especially if they want him to play some NT. Brown can hit the ground running. Kinlaw has the bigger ceiling but he also has the bigger bust potential imo. He's more similar to DeFo than Brown. 

Not necessarily what? I said IF we go DT, I want it to be Kinlaw than Brown. Not what the team will do or is thinking, just what I prefer. 

Kinlaw will be fine in year one despite being more raw. By years' end, he should be making a really solid impact. Some of the things he's able to do just can't be taught. May get too high at times and not be great against the run, but that's fine. Just know on nickel downs he will have an impact. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/4/9/21215583/49ers-had-planned-a-pre-draft-video-conference-scheduled-with-texas-a-m-dt-justin-madubuike

Justin Madubuike could be the guy they're targeting for this need. Sounds like he could be had in the 2nd round, too. 

• Like 1

Hypothetical, the following players are available at #13:

Jerry Jeudy

Henry Ruggs

Andrew Thomas

CJ Henderson.

Javon Kinlaw

Rank them of your preference and then do a ranking of what you think Shanny/Lynch are ranking the following options.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jerry Jeudy

Henry Ruggs

Andrew Thomas

CJ Henderson.

Javon Kinlaw

Rank them of your preference and then do a ranking of what you think Shanny/Lynch are ranking the following options.

1. Jeudy - Could step on the field day 1 and be our #1 WR

2. Ruggs - Would be a nice compliment to Samuel and could be used pretty much the same way

3. Henderson - I've been reading that he's the best cover corner in the draft. CB isn't a need as much as WR or OT, but Henderson could be elite. I'm weary of Gator corners, though. Recent Florida DBs are busting pretty quickly in the NFL.

4. Thomas - Reminds me a lot of Ronnie Stanley. Would be a real nice pick up. 

5. Kinlaw - I like him, but I don't love it at 13. If he was still on the board at 31, sure. 

13. San Francisco 49ers (from Indianapolis Colts)

Trade with Miami Dolphins

49ers get: 1-26, 2-56, 5-154, 2021 third-round pick
Dolphins get: 1-13, WR Dante Pettis

The 49ers have two first-round picks but don't pick again until Round 5 (No. 156). They're almost surely going to trade away at least one of those two first-rounders for multiple selections to recoup some of the picks they traded away.

The Dolphins have more picks to work with than any team, and assuming they use the No. 5 pick on a quarterback, this would be a move up to grab a left tackle or one of the top wide receivers in this class before their other first-round selection comes up at No. 18. They would also be taking a shot on Pettis, who was publicly buried by Kyle Shanahan last season and might need a change of scenery.

31. San Francisco 49ers

Trade with New York Jets

49ers get: 2-48, 3-79, 5-158
Jets get: 1-31

Wide receiver? Tackle? Cornerback? The Jets need help just about everywhere, so while they could hold on to the extra pick they received from the Giants for defensive lineman Leonard Williams, this would be a move to go and grab someone who might be an immediate starter at one of those spots.

The Niners don't have second-, third-, or fourth-round picks, so trading down gives general manager John Lynch & Co. something to keep busy with in the middle rounds.

2 Mock trades from Barnwell on espn.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

13. San Francisco 49ers (from Indianapolis Colts)

Trade with Miami Dolphins

49ers get: 1-26, 2-56, 5-154, 2021 third-round pick
Dolphins get: 1-13, WR Dante Pettis

The 49ers have two first-round picks but don't pick again until Round 5 (No. 156). They're almost surely going to trade away at least one of those two first-rounders for multiple selections to recoup some of the picks they traded away.

The Dolphins have more picks to work with than any team, and assuming they use the No. 5 pick on a quarterback, this would be a move up to grab a left tackle or one of the top wide receivers in this class before their other first-round selection comes up at No. 18. They would also be taking a shot on Pettis, who was publicly buried by Kyle Shanahan last season and might need a change of scenery.

31. San Francisco 49ers

Trade with New York Jets

49ers get: 2-48, 3-79, 5-158
Jets get: 1-31

Wide receiver? Tackle? Cornerback? The Jets need help just about everywhere, so while they could hold on to the extra pick they received from the Giants for defensive lineman Leonard Williams, this would be a move to go and grab someone who might be an immediate starter at one of those spots.

The Niners don't have second-, third-, or fourth-round picks, so trading down gives general manager John Lynch & Co. something to keep busy with in the middle rounds.

2 Mock trades from Barnwell on espn.

I would love either one, but most especially the 2nd trade. Being able to pick a quality player at 13 and then get this rich trade at 31?! I'd go dance in the street! :x

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I would love either one, but most especially the 2nd trade. Being able to pick a quality player at 13 and then get this rich trade at 31?! I'd go dance in the street! :x

Teams pay for that option year!

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Jerry Jeudy

Henry Ruggs

Andrew Thomas

CJ Henderson.

Javon Kinlaw

1. Jeudy - the separation he creates is unreal. Imagining him running zig routes on third down is disgusting. We struggled against man coverage last year and he has the best separation skill and one of the best release skills in the class.

2. Thomas - He’s great at both run blocking and pass blocking. He’s immensely battle tested, played a lot of left tackle. Was very good in pass protection spite of the silly hug technique stuff that Georgia loves to run. I love his feet and his athleticism and I think he’d be a top 5 pick in most drafts and the top pick in a thin draft. This one just has an array of top end talent at important positions. 

3. Kinlaw - he’s immensely physically imposing, but raw. Gotta love the story, though. He’s fought his way up the football chain to make real money. He can be a nasty bull rusher even as he really learns how to play the position.

4. Ruggs - I love his hands and toughness for such a fast guy. He was devastating on crossers, slants, and other Shanahan routes. Like 30 YPC or some nonsense devastating. The main concern is his ability to release - Kristian Fulton put him in his back pocket for most of the LSU game and there was a reason that Da’Vonta Smith got a wider share of the traditional deep shot routes and Jeudy was more productive - Smith releases a lot better and Jeudy is just about uncoverable out of the slot. 

5. C.J. Henderson - I love Henderson. As a man guy. We play a preponderance of zone and I’d prefer Fulton. His cover 3 tape in 2018 was dominant. 

Jerry Jeudy

Henry Ruggs

Andrew Thomas

CJ Henderson.

Javon Kinlaw

1. Jeudy

2. Henderson

3. Kinlaw

4. Thomas

5. Ruggs

Jerry Jeudy

Henry Ruggs

Andrew Thomas

CJ Henderson.

Javon Kinlaw

Kinlaw

Thomas

Jeudy 

Henderson

Ruggs