Why isn't John Elway on the hot seat?

Elky

Ever since Peyton retired after the conclusion of the 2015 season, Denver has been going backwards. Part of the problem is Elway's inability to draft quarterbacks. Brock Osweiler is Brock Osweiler, Paxton Lynch was a complete and total failure and Drew Lock looks to be on the same trajectory.

Edited by Elky

They won a freaking super bowl 3 years and 6 months ago from right now. There are 32 teams in the league. Only 1 team wins a SB a year.

People wildly underrate the achievement of winning a super bowl. Like anything else matters? I'd gladly take a decade+ of terrible seasons in exchange for one SB.

• Like 6

Hard to fire someone who was a legend for your team, even if it was as player

Also, the fact that John Elway won a super bowl as GM (it was because of the defense that Elway built, not Peyton Manning in 2015) helped him to have a good job security.

But this year is an important year for him ... The Broncos have to show some improvement this year otherwise he will have to leave soon.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Elky said:

Drew Lock is complete and utter trash. Players with poor pocket awareness like him typically do not improve in that department.

Stop. Not everything is utter trash. You’ve been throwing that term out for anyone who’s not great this whole offseason.

• Like 2

I have long said he is not a good GM if not one of the worst in the league.

Winning a SB has bought him years of ineptitude.

This being said, he deserves some credit for those free agents that he signed when Manning was there but other than that, he's just not a good GM in my book.

I live in Denver and trust me, Elway is on the hot seat with fans and local media. As wackywabbit said they did just win the Super Bowl 3.5 years ago. 

John is a living legend around these parts so that will probably allow him some more time, right or wrong. He did hit big on last years draft class

Round 1 - Bradley Chubb: 12 Sacks and 2 FF

Round 2 - Courtland Sutton: 42 Rec  704 Yards  4 Tds (Will be the #2 WR this year)

Round 3 - Royce Freeman: 130 Rushes   521 Yards   5 Tds (Good #2 RB)

Round 4 - Josey Jewell: 58 Tackles & Started 9 Games (Fangio has been saying the whole LB core seems to play better with Josey in the huddle, look for him as a possible breakout player)

Round 4 - DaeSean Hamilton: 30 Rec  243 Yards  2 Tds (Will be the #3 WR this year, people have pretty decent expectations for him)  

UDFA - Phillip Lindsay: 192 Rushes  1,037 Yards   9Tds & 35 Rec for 241 Yards  1Td (Lindsay looks like the real deal, he could possibly become a Top 10 Back)

As far as their rookie season went they look to have drafted/signed 3 legit starters (Chubb, Lindsay, Sutton) along with nice role players who have a chance to take a leap in year 2 with Jewell, Hamilton, and Freeman. Time will tell if this draft class can keep getting better but it looks to be a very good one, anytime you can draft 3+ solid starters for your team that is huge. I am originally from Iowa and I think Fant will be a stud, Risner looks good at LG, and Lock will need time to learn, but if this years draft class hits along with last years, the Broncos could be a surprise team this year. Lots of "ifs" of course 

• Like 2