Why I bet GB for the SB (Offense edition)

Rainmaker90

As I said in the last thread I took GB 15-1 to win the SB. I am more optimistic but also realistic. It'll be hard making the play-offs in the NFC and GB is no lock, but with the odds I think they're incredible value.

I do not want to talk about the change from MM's system to LaFleur's system. Your opinion on what went wrong is pretty set in stone, and there's probably nothing that will change it unless we get some more information ( not very likely to happen anytime soon) I do believe the disconnect with AR and not adjusting to the league are two big reasons for our struggles but again not my concern.

So here is why I like this team to make a run.

1. The core: There aren't many teams that have 3 elite players at their position like GB does. Rodgers, Bahktiari and Adams are three of the best at their positions easily. Teams would LOVE to have those three to be the core of their offense. That's not even counting Aaron Jones who could be great (drafting him early in fantasy), Linsley who is an upper tier C and Bulaga who is a upper tier RT when healthy. But that core of Rodgers, Bahk and Adams is such a great start to making a elite offense.

2. Improvements on the offensive-line. The guard situation was absolutely dreadful. McCray and Bell were absolutely awful , and Taylor took a step back ( could be injury related). Pressure up the middle happened regularly, and that's the worst kind of pressure for any QB let alone a QB who had a messed up knee and had trouble moving. Enter in Billy 'Bill' Turner who is very solid. He's going to be a very welcomed presence to the line. Rodgers has sang his praises multiple times already and at worst he's an average guard ( even with G being his better position than T) which would be a MASSIVE upgrade over the revolving door we had last year. That's going to change a lot for our offense. A ton. To hedge our bet even more, the team drafted a second round guard Elgton Jenkins, and have a returning Cole Madison, both of which have high upside in the interior.  I believe this unit comes back to being a top 5 unit in the entire game, health permitted.

3. Speaking of hedging your bet, I'm confident we will have at LEAST one reliable #2 option for AR. I'm willing to bet at least one of Allison, MVS, EQ and Kumerow ( The guy is making the team. I wouldn't have said this a week or so ago, and I know we still have pre-season but he's running with the 1's , and making catches over Jaire? We know Rodgers loves the guy, he's staying. They will find a way). You have two guys with all the athletic traits and upside in the world in MVS and ESB both of which flashed in their rookie year as well. Love both of these guys, really do. Then you have below average athletes but more savy WRs. Allison is extremely steady and has a great rapport with AR. If he preforms like he did last year but for the full year, sign me up. Easy. Kumerow isn't anything near to being a lock for a reliable target, but ya know it's been two off-seasons of just a tremendous rapport with AR and I just think he has a shot. I really do. Bottom line is I really believe at least 1 of these 4 guys will be a reliable number 2 target to go with Davante and a stronger running game. If you want to add J Graham, you can. I think the guy is done, but idk maybe the second year with AR and a system better for TEs can help him. Davante will always command extra attention, and rightfully so. But if Allison, MVS, EQ, Kumerow etc. can take advantage of that and be consistent this offense is gonna score points and a lot of them. 

4. A healthy, ' motivated' Aaron Rodgers- Normally I would laugh at someone bringing this up about another player, but Rodgers is a very interesting personality. He's very hyper-sensitive, ultra-competitive, perfectionist who is pretty vindictive. That's a very complex human being. Adding his talent and work ethic, it makes it even more interesting. We've heard him feel slighted , and have revenge games before and he generally comes back with a vengeance. After all the talk this off-season I think he's going to be extremely focused. But more importantly he's healthy. The knee bothered him all year. He barely could move and probably didn't feel confident with his throws because of it. Mix that with conflict with his HC, inexperienced WRs, a crappy interior guards, it was a recipe for disaster. A disaster for AR, because he wasn't as bad as people made it seem. He was bad for AR. 

5. A commitment to Aaron Jones- One of the most frustrating parts of last season was Mac's unwillingness to give Jones the touches he deserves. It honestly is one of the most mind bottling things I've seen from a HC. I don't think you need to be a genius to see how much talent Jones has. He's a electric playmaker who does everything well. A true threat to take it to the house any play. If there one thing I'm sure of with LaFleur is his commitment to the running game. Jones is gonna get his. The ceiling is as high as it can be with Jones.

So to summarize,

The interior of our line greatly improved

We have a great core of players

There are about 4 guys outside of Davante who can be a reliable #2 target

A healthy 12 with less disconnect from his coach

A new system that will better utilize our players

It may not be that big play offense we've had in the past, but I like this group a lot and think it'll be one of the better units. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

As I said in the last thread I took GB 15-1 to win the SB. I am more optimistic but also realistic. It'll be hard making the play-offs in the NFC and GB is no lock, but with the odds I think they're incredible value.

I do not want to talk about the change from MM's system to LaFleur's system. Your opinion on what went wrong is pretty set in stone, and there's probably nothing that will change it unless we get some more information ( not very likely to happen anytime soon) I do believe the disconnect with AR and not adjusting to the league are two big reasons for our struggles but again not my concern.

1. The core: There aren't many teams that have 3 elite players at their position like GB does. Rodgers, Bahktiari and Adams are three of the best at their positions easily. Teams would LOVE to have those three to be the core of their offense. That's not even counting Aaron Jones who could be great (drafting him early in fantasy), Linsley who is an upper tier C and Bulaga who is a upper tier RT when healthy. But that core of Rodgers, Bahk and Adams is such a great start to making a elite offense.

2. Improvements on the offensive-line. The guard situation was absolutely dreadful. McCray and Bell were absolutely awful , and Taylor took a step back ( could be injury related). Pressure up the middle happened regularly, and that's the worst kind of pressure for any QB let alone a QB who had a messed up knee and had trouble moving. Enter in Billy 'Bill' Turner who is very solid. He's going to be a very welcomed presence to the line. Rodgers has sang his praises multiple times already and at worst he's an average guard ( even with G being his better position than T) which would be a MASSIVE upgrade over the revolving door we had last year. That's going to change a lot for our offense. A ton. To hedge our bet even more, the team drafted a second round guard Elgton Jenkins, and have a returning Cole Madison, both of which have high upside in the interior.  I believe this unit comes back to being a top 5 unit in the entire game, health permitted.

3. Speaking of hedging your bet, I'm confident we will have at LEAST one reliable #2 option for AR. I'm willing to bet at least one of Allison, MVS, EQ and Kumerow ( The guy is making the team. I wouldn't have said this a week or so ago, and I know we still have pre-season but he's running with the 1's , and making catches over Jaire? We know Rodgers loves the guy, he's staying. They will find a way). You have two guys with all the athletic traits and upside in the world in MVS and ESB both of which flashed in their rookie year as well. Love both of these guys, really do. Then you have below average athletes but more savy WRs. Allison is extremely steady and has a great rapport with AR. If he preforms like he did last year but for the full year, sign me up. Easy. Kumerow isn't anything near to being a lock for a reliable target, but ya know it's been two off-seasons of just a tremendous rapport with AR and I just think he has a shot. I really do. Bottom line is I really believe at least 1 of these 4 guys will be a reliable number 2 target to go with Davante and a stronger running game. If you want to add J Graham, you can. I think the guy is done, but idk maybe the second year with AR and a system better for TEs can help him. Davante will always command extra attention, and rightfully so. But if Allison, MVS, EQ, Kumerow etc. can take advantage of that and be consistent this offense is gonna score points and a lot of them. 

4. A healthy, ' motivated' Aaron Rodgers- Normally I would laugh at someone bringing this up about another player, but Rodgers is a very interesting personality. He's very hyper-sensitive, ultra-competitive, perfectionist who is pretty vindictive. That's a very complex human being. Adding his talent and work ethic, it makes it even more interesting. We've heard him feel slighted , and have revenge games before and he generally comes back with a vengeance. After all the talk this off-season I think he's going to be extremely focused. But more importantly he's healthy. The knee bothered him all year. He barely could move and probably didn't feel confident with his throws because of it. Mix that with conflict with his HC, inexperienced WRs, a crappy interior guards, it was a recipe for disaster. A disaster for AR, because he wasn't as bad as people made it seem. He was bad for AR. 

5. A commitment to Aaron Jones- One of the most frustrating parts of last season was Mac's unwillingness to give Jones the touches he deserves. It honestly is one of the most mind bottling things I've seen from a HC. I don't think you need to be a genius to see how much talent Jones has. He's a electric playmaker who does everything well. A true threat to take it to the house any play. If there one thing I'm sure of with LaFleur is his commitment to the running game. Jones is gonna get his. The ceiling is as high as it can be with Jones.

So to summarize,

It may not be that big play offense we've had in the past, but I like this group a lot and think it'll be one of the better units. 

I’m down. Once Allison went down last year, and Randall Cobb, it was Rodgers with Adams, a poor interior OL and an injured TE that he’s never played with and a bunch of rookies. Not running more was criminal. All of those look to be solved. Rodgers familiarity with Graham, MVS, EQ and Allison is reason to be optimistic because AR is very chemistry oriented. 

MVS being a deep threat adds to lefleurs offense too. 

Bulaga and Taylor also had slow starts coming off their respective injuries in the beginning of last season. I’m guessing  Daniels will have that too but that’s not our worry anymore.

I expect excellent OL play compared to last year with the improved RG, and the improved healthy versions of Taylor/Bulaga. 

Im cool with your whole post, just adding some of my own thoughts.

Edited by boratt

12 minutes ago, boratt said:

I’m down. Once Allison went down last year, and Randall Cobb, it was Rodgers with Adams, a poor interior OL and an injured TE that he’s never played with and a bunch of rookies. Not running more was criminal. All of those look to be solved. Rodgers familiarity with Graham, MVS, EQ and Allison is reason to be optimistic because AR is very chemistry oriented. 

MVS being a deep threat adds to lefleurs offense too. 

Bulaga and Taylor also had slow starts coming off their respective injuries in the beginning of last season. I’m guessing  Daniels will have that too but that’s not our worry anymore.

I expect excellent OL play compared to last year with the improved RG, and the improved healthy versions of Taylor/Bulaga. 

Im cool with your whole post, just adding some of my own thoughts.

The biggest questions that faced the offense last year are two questions that we still have?

1. Is Aaron Rodgers going to be an average QB, or an MVP caliber QB?

2. Is our offensive system conductive to winning football games?

The answer to those questions might be overwhelmingly positive, but we're going to be in week 4 before we're going to start having strong feelings one way or another. 

New coach new system.  It will take awhile for the team to adjust.  Have tempered expectations for this season.  On paper team looks good.  Like what Gute did with the roster.  Health is another key issue.  Guardedly optimistic.  If we make the playoffs LaFleur will be the first HC for the Packers to do it.  Think the Defense will play well and they will carry the team especially early on.  As Alex pointed out we haven't seen Aaron in MVP form for a couple of years now.  Had the collarbone then the knee.  Is he the same?  Really don't know haven't seen it yet.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

1. Is Aaron Rodgers going to be an average QB, or an MVP caliber QB?

I don't think average QB is going to be what we see unless he gets hurt again.  The better question to me is

Will Aaron Rodgers stay somewhat healthy?

23 hours ago, Rainmaker90 said:

So to summarize,

I am as of right now assuming the Packers will play better this year because they have a better head coach and made significant moves to improve the defense. That said, I am assuming the talent was there for the most part last year to at least get a few more wins but that the coaching was just that bad. LaFleur is not on the hot seat his year but Pettine and even Aaron Rodgers sure are. I think Green Bay is the surprise team in the NFL this year. especially with that improved defense.

Another reason the Packers won’t win the Super Bowl this year is that Tom Brady has a brain and no need for ego and adjusted his contract to take a lesser cap hit.  

Brady frickin knows that 13% cap hit for a QB is a death sentence to a Super Bowl, why doesn’t anyone else?

I hate Tom Brady because he’s so overrated in the extent that it is not him who has won 6 rings, but damn do I respect him for being selfless.  Once he stops winning I might even like him and put him up on a pedestal as an icon of selflessness and being a true team player who put his ego aside to win rings.

But Aaron had to be the highest paid QB in the league and win only one Super Bowl.

I swear to **** Rodgers would win the next 4 Super Bowls after this year if he took under 11% cap hit and half our defensive additions hit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Another reason the Packers won’t win the Super Bowl this year is that Tom Brady has a brain and no need for ego and adjusted his contract to take a lesser cap hit.  

Brady frickin knows that 13% cap hit for a QB is a death sentence to a Super Bowl, why doesn’t anyone else?

I hate Tom Brady because he’s so overrated in the extent that it is not him who has won 6 rings, but damn do I respect him for being selfless.  Once he stops winning I might even like him and put him up on a pedestal as an icon of selflessness and being a true team player who put his ego aside to win rings.

But Aaron had to be the highest paid QB in the league and win only one Super Bowl.

I swear to **** Rodgers would win the next 4 Super Bowls after this year if he took under 11% cap hit and half our defensive additions hit.

We're sitting with 15 million in unused cap space right now. We've got plenty to spend on the defense before we worry about Rodgers' cap hit.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

The season is here, him lowering his current season cap hit doesn't do anything for the Pats. All he did was push guaranteed money into future years so if age hits him hard, he's still getting paid.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The season is here, him lowering his current season cap hit doesn't do anything for the Pats. All he did was push guaranteed money into future years so if age hits him hard, he's still getting paid.

I'm pretty sure they automatically void too.  There's a TON of dead cap in the future.

14 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It lets the Patriots trade for Trent Williams.