Raiders officially release Antonio Brown

Steelersfan43

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

No, because his helmet wasn’t technically on the “banned list” since it didn’t get tested until just recently. Once the other players’ helmets got on the banned list, they got a year grace period. That’s what Brown wants. 

But yeah, all the NFL would have to do is say that the players were given until 2019 to use one of the approved helmets (worded specifically that way, opposed to not using one of the banned helmets) and then Brown loses his argument.

Fair but he knew that he could not wear his current helmet because of the 10 year rule.  His first argument should have been to get the newer helmet certified but he was not ready for that.  The Manufacturer of his helmet said it was not made anymore because it was less safe than current models and that was in 2013.   

Edited by jebrick

29 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Fair but he knew that he could not wear his current helmet because of the 10 year rule.  His first argument should have been to get the newer helmet certified but he was not ready for that.  The Manufacturer of his helmet said it was not made anymore because it was less safe than current models and that was in 2013.   

You’re right, he knew the rules that were coming unless he just ignorantly assumed they wouldn’t apply to him (very possible tbh).

Curiosity here:

If it's a custom-made model that means it's not on the conforming list...so doesn't the NFPA, NFL, NOCSAE, and independent testing need to approve of the helmet?

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PFM18 said:

Is he going to be the only player in the league with this sort of endorsement deal?

Fair play to him. He managed to get something out of it even it wasn't his preferred helmet. 

No kidding. Dude is a diva but he and his camp are damn smart. There has never been so much focus on NFL helmets before this. I said in another thread that some company is going to want to latch on to this and good for AB to get some $ out oft this.

Edited by RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

No kidding. Dude is a diva but he and his camp are damn smart. There has never been so much focus on NFL helmets before this. I said in another thread that some company is going to want to latch on to this and good for AB to get some $ out oft this.

See, I'm torn.  Smart because it's another place to get money.  But, how much is that brand really going to benefit or be willing to pay out.  Do people know the brands well enough to know what brand he's wearing?  What's the NFL reaction going to be to more players wanting custom helmets?  Does this mean countless styles to be tested?  Or are they 'trolling' with the custom thing and it's really about a facemask being different?  Like, I'm not sure how a player sponsored by a part of the equipment that we don't think about often really helps that company, especially when it's not something we see the visual of and the name all that often.

On 8/21/2019 at 7:03 AM, wwhickok said:

The helmet that Brown wants is on the banned list because it doesnt meet the safety standards of the NFL, correct? Assuming that's correct, arent they doing the right thing by denying him the ability to use a helmet not deemed safe enough to use in games? 

Considering that the last CBA put in place medical care for life after meeting a minimum playing time threshold (which Brown has far surpassed).  From a straight up, cutthroat business and numbers standpoint, the league could make a very defensible argument that they have to deny his demand to wear that sort of helmet.  And if he were to try the route of, say, signing a waiver, relieving the league of its responsibility just noted, the Players Union would likely be all over him to not set such a precedent.

On 8/21/2019 at 4:07 PM, Steelersfan43 said:

Even Le'Veon Bell does not like that Antonio Brown's don't show up in practice because of it.

I like this picture because one dog goes one way, the other goes the other way, and this guy is sayin', "Whaddya want from me?"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...