Raiders officially release Antonio Brown

Steelersfan43

14 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The frostbite thing is a myth. Dr. Chao has dismissed it. Brown's "frostbite" isn't just on the bottoms of his feet.

It's not frostbite.

Chao is posting a click bait article.  He even admits that not having examined him it’s hard for him to tell.  And keep in mind Chao is a surgeon who looks at video and mechanical clues for injury to make his bones.   This is entirely out of his usual realm.   But it gets hits for him so...

If Chao wants to argue it’s not frostbite but a contact injury with secondary superficial infection, then sure - but the proposed mechanism with contact from cryotherapy is legit.  It’s entirely plausible to have the injury go down as described.  

And FWIW - the team is sticking to the story.  Given the ridicule it’s rightfully getting for AB, there's not really any reason for OAK to keep this story going.  So it's very hard not to take it at face value.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

"Cryogenic chamber mishap..."

Sounds like something you'd read in a Superhero origin story...

Guaranteed to make the Urban lexicon for "dumb as ****".   

On the flip side, I can't wait for AB's first IG post if he gets off to a slow start fantasy-wise...

fe2e5832bbc746d881d9de443113411c3a6dd69e

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Guaranteed to make the Urban lexicon for "dumb as ****".   

On the flip side, I can't wait for AB's first IG post if he gets off to a slow start fantasy-wise...

fe2e5832bbc746d881d9de443113411c3a6dd69e

It could be a circus between AB and Carr if Brown has a slow start, especially if in Pittsburgh, the steelers with Ben, JuJu and our passing game in general continues to be very good.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

"Cryogenic chamber mishap..."

Sounds like something you'd read in a Superhero origin story...

So you're saying AB is trying to be the new Simon Phoenix?  (This would explain the blond mustache.)

source.gif

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Chao is posting a click bait article.  He even admits that not having examined him it’s hard for him to tell.  And keep in mind Chao is a surgeon who looks at video and mechanical clues for injury to make his bones.   This is entirely out of his usual realm.   But it gets hits for him so...

If Chao wants to argue it’s not frostbite but a contact injury with secondary superficial infection, then sure - but the proposed mechanism with contact from cryotherapy is legit.  It’s entirely plausible to have the injury go down as described.  

And FWIW - the team is sticking to the story.  Given the ridicule it’s rightfully getting for AB, there's not really any reason for OAK to keep this story going.  So it's very hard not to take it at face value.  

Perhaps it is cryotherapy, but it just seems like an odd mechanism. Surgeon or not, he's still a physician. When I saw it, I thought pseudomonas as well. 

Edited by MrOaktown_56

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Perhaps it is cryotherapy, but it just seems like an odd mechanism. Surgeon or not, he's still a physician. When I saw it, I thought pseudomonas as well. 

Well Chao is unsurprisingly backtracking now.  

I’d be the first to recognize he can watch video and make highly educated guesses with a high degree of accuracy on mechanical injuries, being an orthopedic surgeon dealing with sports injuries.  But he’d literally be guessing when it comes to this.  

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Well Chao is unsurprisingly backtracking now.  

I’d be the first to recognize he can watch video and make highly educated guesses with a high degree of accuracy on mechanical injuries, being an orthopedic surgeon dealing with sports injuries.  But he’d literally be guessing when it comes to this.  

He is correct though that brown doesn't have "frostbite" per se. If he had extreme frostbite, say goodbye to those feet. His soles would be black as well.

44 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He is correct though that brown doesn't have "frostbite" per se. If he had extreme frostbite, say goodbye to those feet. His soles would be black as well.

Simms article very clearly said the feet were injured by entering a cryotherapy chamber with improper footwear, leading to a frostbite injury.   Link here again -   https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/08/06/simms-antonio-browns-got-frostbitten-feet-in-a-cryotherapy-machine/

Chao then rushes out to debunk it - but once the Raiders stick with the story the next day  - then you get the Chao backtrack.   Again I think he’s very good at video analysis for sports injuries.   But he was out of his lane here in a big way.      

FWIW - there are milder stages of frostbite which only lead to blistering and no severe long term damage (there are actually 2 categories in the less severe forms - frostnip, which leads to no blistering and goes away quickly; and superficial - which can cause blistering but no deep tissue damage).    What Simms reported all fell in line with the milder superficial stage.  

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/frostbite/symptoms-causes/syc-20372656

Here’s the thing - Simms never mentioned severe frostbite.   Chao’s original piece was so poorly researched in the rush to get hits he probably didn’t even realize there are milder forms (and again he put himself out there acknowledging he had zero extra info or direct knowledge).      Of course it also shows Chao has learned the straw man method to backtrack too, since the extreme stage was mentioned....by no one. 

Chao was dead wrong trying to get in on the AB story given the hits it would generate.  He’s trying to backtrack & save face.   Let’s just agree we can put his future career track outside of sports injuries...on ice.   :D

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2